What happens if you show up earlier than your check-in time?

Craftyninja

We are sailing with another family, and they got an earlier check-in time than we did (all the earlier slots were taken when I checked-in online). If we arrive at the port at the same time as them, what do we do? Is there an area for us to wait in? Should we try and see if Carnival will let us check in early?

You have a couple of options. One, you could show up at the earlier time and hope they will allow you to enter the terminal. Seems some ports don't pay too much attention to the check-in time. You could ask your other travelers to wait and go when your time comes. There is no problem in checking in later than your appointed time. Or, you could find a place to sit and wait for your time. The rule is supposed to be that you cannot enter the terminal until your check-in time. That would mean finding a place outside to wait. You can check your luggage early, so you don't have to deal with that while you wait.

Good luck!

I have found that each port is different. When sailing out of Fort Lauderdale in May, the check-in times were strictly adhered to. When sailing out of Jax Port in August, not so much. I was there (FTTF) at 10:30, and there were people showing up with 1:00 check in times, and allowed in the terminal. Maybe because Jax Port is only one ship and much smaller?

We are sailing with another family, and they got an earlier check-in time than we did (all the earlier slots were taken when I checked-in online). If we arrive at the port at the same time as them, what do we do? Is there an area for us to wait in? Should we try and see if Carnival will let us check in early?
Port Canaveral is easy with check in times as well.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I think the easiest thing to do would be to check in at the later time with your friends. Or, they can board a bit earlier and be ready to greet you onboard with a frosty DOD!

Trying to see if you can check in early with them may work, but it might not, and that's likely to be an awkward way to start your trip. Save yourself any stress and choose one of the other options, and have a great time!

KC

I do know that in Galveston they strictly adhere to your check in time. There must have been 3 different people that I had to go through and each of them looked at my boarding pass. If you try to check in earlier you have to sit outside in the hot sun.

In Miami they are transitioning to "Arrival Appointments" rather than "Check-in Time."

They now have a line for guests who arrive promptly within their 30 minute Arrival Appointment window and another line for guests who arrive either "Too Early" or Too Late". Meaning if you don't arrive during your selected time you will have to wait in a longer line.

I'm not sure which port you are traveling out of, but you can always go back Online and try selecting an Arrival Appointment that fits everyone's needs.