Too many limitations with Cheers?

Scotto97

We're really on the fence with purchasing Cheers for our upcoming 3 day cruise. Here's some of our concerns:

We bring 24 / 36 ounce containers to enjoy poolside or in the Jacuzzi, We like vodka cranberry in them and it seems like getting them filled would be difficult given the 5 minute rule.

We'd like cans of soda in our room (We're bringing a small cooler) and it seems the rules don't allow cans to be given out.

The wine by the glass selections are not great, and we are allowed a couple of bottles from home (Why start buying bottles of wine if you're paying for Cheers?)

It would be nice to have beers available in our room, but receiving unopened beers also seem to be against the programs rules.

It just doesn't seem like Cheers is really an "All-inclusive" worry free program that allows you to drink when, what and where you want - which is a shame as that's what we're looking for.

Opinions / advice?

There are other cruise lines that offer the kind of all-inclusive experience that you seem to desire. I think it would be best to either go with one of those cruise lines or resign yourself to not enjoying the kind of all-inclusive experience that you seem to desire.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I was hoping for something a little more informative / constructive.........perhaps past experiences on ways the program may work for us given our concerns.
From what I've read, the people who find it worthwhile don't have the reservations you expressed. You seem to be looking for ways to make the offering fit your preferences while most mass-market offerings like this are now such that you need to be looking for ways to make your preferences fit the offering. So easyboy's advice is sound: if you don't want to change your preferences to fit the offering then ignore it and pay a la carte.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

If you want jumbo drinks by the pool, I would suggest you buy a liter of vodka for your room. Carry on sodas and cranberry juice in cans, and then just buy other drinks as you go.

Although the liters are expensive (think table service in Vegas), it might save you money in the long run. Are you going to be drinking those big drinks in 5 mins? Find a server at the pool and just ask him to bring you your vodka/cran every 5 or 10 mins (tip him extra) and pour it into your big cups.

You can still carry on your own sodas.

OP your problem on filling a 24/36 oz. Thermal mug can be solved by buying a couple of 1 Liters of Vodka from funshop pre-cruise. Get your cranberry from the buffet.

You are allowed 1 bottle of wine in your carryon each.

Beer buy a bucket, they don't open them all. Cabin steward can get ice.

Soda you can take a 12pk 12oz cans on with you. ( pretty sure Carnival hasn't changed that)

It would be nice to have beers available in our room, but receiving unopened beers also seem to be against the programs rules.

I can't remember if Carnival's program includes Grolsch beer. Their bottles have a resealable attached cap. They had those on Celebrity and I used them for the cabin.

Celebrity would also have pop-up bars at various locations, by the pool deck, and in the buffet at lunch, etc. These temporary bars didn't have electronic devices. The bartender simply wrote down your seapass number on a pad, and therefore there was no 5 minute rule.

Edited by DirtyDawg

From what I've read, the people who find it worthwhile don't have the reservations you expressed. You seem to be looking for ways to make the offering fit your preferences while most mass-market offerings like this are now such that you need to be looking for ways to make your preferences fit the offering. So easyboy's advice is sound: if you don't want to change your preferences to fit the offering then ignore it and pay a la carte.

Spot on.

Are you going to be drinking those big drinks in 5 mins? Find a server at the pool and just ask him to bring you your vodka/cran every 5 or 10 mins (tip him extra) and pour it into your big cups.

I really like this idea and could probably order the vodka cranberry in a tall glass which would help fill the container after just a few drinks

Buy a liter or two of vodka for the room. They are $80-90 ea. Get the bubbles program which is like $25 ea for the cruise) and you will have all the soda you want (I always ask for the can and get it) and any juice (cranberry here) plus fresh ice. You can put the vodka in the tumbler then go to the bar and top it off with ice and juice (or soda/tonic) from the bubbles program. You will have to go back to the room to refill the vodka though. Plus bring 2 bottles of wine. If you want to add some beer then get one bottle of Vodka (only 2 alcoholic purchases per room max) and a 4 pack of your favorite beer. Then take the warm one they put in room and exchange at a bar for cold one. OR get Cheers and just have the server bring a vodka cranberry in your tumbler. If you tip as you go they will make sure to be back regularly to keep it refilled. Don't have to have a beer opened. They will give you a soda can if requested. And yes it is an all inclusive as it includes ALL Beverages by the single serving to a $50 price each.

We just got off the Imagination three day weekender cruise.....first of all the website says "no carry on sodas, waters, mixer are allowed to carry on"......so we gave up the idea of bringing on our mixers for the $75 dollar bottle of vodka we purchased to have in our room. Then we say people carrying twelve packs of sodas in the elevators on embarkation day.....ticked us off.....if you print a policy then do it......or change the printed policy. You can't buy a "bucket of beers" with a beverage package.....and you are limited to one drink per five minutes and 15 per day.

We just got off the Imagination three day weekender cruise.....first of all the website says "no carry on sodas, waters, mixer are allowed to carry on"......so we gave up the idea of bringing on our mixers for the $75 dollar bottle of vodka we purchased to have in our room. Then we say people carrying twelve packs of sodas in the elevators on embarkation day.....ticked us off.....if you print a policy then do it......or change the printed policy. You can't buy a "bucket of beers" with a beverage package.....and you are limited to one drink per five minutes and 15 per day.

Bottles are prohibited, cans are OK

Per Carnival website

Bringing Liquor and Beverages Onboard - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages onboard that are packaged in bottles.

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/carton.

I wavered back and forth on Cheers myself, bought it, still wavered until finally I cancelled it and ultimately decided on just getting the 1 liter vodka for the room.

I ordered the Skyy vodka/mixer package for $80 that comes with 6 cans of club soda. I like that I can just make my drinks in the cabin, fill my tumbler and off I go. Only thing is that you have to go back to the cabin for your refills, but I don't mind the trek.

Per a post above, I didn't know you can bring cans of mixers on board though. Is that INCLUDING your 1 bottle of wine allowance? I have 1 bottle i'm bringing onboard, but can I ALSO bring a couple cans of Tomato Juice as well? (I'd love to have my Bloody Mary's in cabin when I wake up lol).

I wavered back and forth on Cheers myself, bought it, still wavered until finally I cancelled it and ultimately decided on just getting the 1 liter vodka for the room.

I ordered the Skyy vodka/mixer package for $80 that comes with 6 cans of club soda. I like that I can just make my drinks in the cabin, fill my tumbler and off I go. Only thing is that you have to go back to the cabin for your refills, but I don't mind the trek.

Per a post above, I didn't know you can bring cans of mixers on board though. Is that INCLUDING your 1 bottle of wine allowance? I have 1 bottle i'm bringing onboard, but can I ALSO bring a couple cans of Tomato Juice as well? (I'd love to have my Bloody Mary's in cabin when I wake up lol).

It is

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Correct me if I'm wrong - but didn't Carnival eliminate Cranberry from the buffet years ago ?

One of my frustrations with the new carry on policy - as its hard (where I live) to find cranberry in a can - I wish we could get the 12oz cans like they serve on airplanes - but I've spoken with ocean spray and that packaging is not available to the public.

We can buy the sparking cranberry and carry on as that is canned - but I miss being able to bring either a large bottle of cran - or at least a 6-pack of 12 oz bottles.

I know the other lines in the CCL family offer Cran at the buffet - but my most recent cruises on Carnival they only offered OJ, Grapefruit juice, Apple juice or POG during B'fast hours - and then Tea or lemon-aid after 11:00.

You could pay for Cran by the glass at any bar - or for free duing breakfast hours - but only in the MDR.

Thanks a bunch -

Edited by seabum
spelling

I'm confused???? What are the limitations of cheers?? I don't consider a 24/36 oz drink the norm.... If anything the Cheers package has become more inclusive compared to other lines I've recently sailed on (which do not include specialty coffee, shakes, etc like Carnival does)

Correct me if I'm wrong - but didn't Carnival eliminate Cranberry from the buffet years ago ?

One of my frustrations with the new carry on policy - as its hard (where I live) to find cranberry in a can - I wish we could get the 12oz cans like they serve on airplanes - but I've spoken with ocean spray and that packaging is not available to the public.

We can buy the sparking cranberry and carry on as that is canned - but I miss being able to bring either a large bottle of cran - or at least a 6-pack of 12 oz bottles.

I know the other lines in the CCL family offer Cran at the buffet - but my most recent cruises on Carnival they only offered OJ, Grapefruit juice, Apple juice or POG during B'fast hours - and then Tea or lemon-aid after 11:00.

You could pay for Cran by the glass at any bar - or for free duing breakfast hours - but only in the MDR.

Thanks a bunch -

It might be overkill, but you would definitely have a supply...LOL

https://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Spray-Juice-Cranberry-5-5-Ounce/dp/B003WEDZXA/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1510967979&sr=8-2&keywords=Cranberry%2Bjuice%2Bcans&th=1