Not surprising cancelation of Madagascar port of call

Chairsin

I will post this on our Feb 11 Sojourn Roll call thread for the Singapore to CapeTown cruise but thought I would also post it here as well. As many of you are aware Madagascar has had an unusually severe outbreak of Bubonic plague this year. While they annually have an outbreak it is usually confined to the variety that does not pass from person to person. This year that strain has shown up and caused a higher than normal number of cases and has spread to the cities that rarely experience an outbreak. Hearing about a recent Costa cruise canceling its Madagascar ports of call I contacted my TA and asked her to to inquire whether Seabourn was planning on making a change as well since I was looking into setting up a private tour. Sure enough word came back that they will shortly be notifying passengers on this voyage about changes. I don’t have the details yet as to whether this will mean an extra Sea day or if they have been able to arrange a new port of call (can I hope for the Seychelles?)

Seems Seabourn is having bad luck with Madagascar as two years ago they had to cancel the port call there due to weather.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the update. We were following the reports through as well and noted the Costa diversion, but Seabourn Sydney had no news. Thankfully it seems the cases of pneumonic plague are in the decline, but its spread was through travellers with neighbouring countries also on alert.

Let's hope for the Seychelles. It's the one port in this area we were surprised wasn't included from the outset.

Yes, Roxburgh that to me may be the Silver lining. I’ll wait until it is official and then have my TA investigate but it does seem to me as it was only a requirement from the Madagascar authorities we should be ok without the vaccination.

BasandSyb

I quite agree that I was surprised the original itinerary did not include the Seychelles. Maybe if we all cross our fingers?

Looks like you might be right - thanks for posting this. It is Interesting that the map shows Portuguese Island (Mozambique) but the written itinerary still shows Madagascar.. Wonder if since it is an uninhabited Island they will do a Beach BBQ?

Looks like you might be right - thanks for posting this. It is Interesting that the map shows Portuguese Island (Mozambique) but the written itinerary still shows Madagascar.. Wonder if since it is an uninhabited Island they will do a Beach BBQ?

Good spot - I hadn’t noticed that discrepancy. I guess time will tell what happens...

I vote for the Seychelles as well. Are you reading this Seabourn? [emoji41]

Ha - a week after getting off the ship I’m always ready to go back on. So yes, as we have not been on since late July I am more than ready for some Seabourn pampering. However, I am not ready for the trip as I have private tours to arrange as well as visa to secure. Must get on this immediately after Thanksgiving.

Ha - a week after getting off the ship I’m always ready to go back on. So yes, as we have not been on since late July I am more than ready for some Seabourn pampering. However, I am not ready for the trip as I have private tours to arrange as well as visa to secure. Must get on this immediately after Thanksgiving.

Is that the visa for Myanmar? I understand that you can get that on-board.

I thought we also needed one for Sri Lanka or am I wrong about that?

From the Seabourn docs .....

"A visa is not required for Sri Lanka when arriving with the ship. A visa is only required for embarkation/disembarkation. This applies to all nationalities.

If you are participating on a mid-cruise journey or Overnight Adventure and entering the country by land or air during the tour, you need to obtain a visa to enter the country. This can be obtained online through the following website: http://www.eta.gov.lk "