NZ/Queenstown: Human Catapult Thrills?

TLCOhio

From FOX News and CNN earlier this month, there was this one headline: World's biggest catapult opens in New Zealand, launches thrill-seekers almost 500 feet with these highlights: “A new thrill ride in New Zealand last week promises to deliver a 'gut-wrenching' experience for anyone brave enough to attempt it, and early footage from the first few riders certainly confirms. The Nevis Catapult, which is the newest thrill ride from AJ Hackett Bungy NZ, launches riders nearly 500 feet through a canyon in Nevis Valley, near Queenstown, at speeds in excess of 60 miles per hour — all while they swoop across the sky.

One of the founders noted: "Up to 3 Gs of force and acceleration of around 100 kilometers in 1.5 seconds is not your typical experience — and I think people are going to get a pretty big kick out of it.”

The CNN headline is titled: "New Zealand's new attraction makes you a human slingshot". Their story also reminds us about this country being "the world's capital of adventure tourism".

Anyone ready to try to this new thrill ride? When we visited Queenstown, we were at their original bungy bridge jump side. Could have tried it, but legitimately, my wife strongly and wisely urged me to skip that "opportunity".

Full stories at:

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/08/14/worlds-biggest-catapult-opens-in-new-zealand-launches-thrill-seekers-almost-500-feet.html

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/new-zealand-human-slingshot/index.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 210,650 views for this posting.

Here is one of the pictures used to illustrate this FOX News story. Look interesting and exciting?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-08-29%20at%203.09.40%20PM_zpsagkfmjcd.png

Anyone ready to try to this new thrill ride? When we visited Queenstown, we were at their original bungy bridge jump side. Could have tried it, but legitimately, my wife strongly and wisely urged me to skip that "opportunity.

After one reaches a certain age , the thought of a massive bill from an Optician is enough to put anyone off ....even more so a catapult.:eek:

Not for me thanks, past my thrill seeker years a long time ago.

Appreciate above and from David these smart comments and follow-ups to demonstrate that all three of us are wise in avoiding too much "adventure" that might not be best for our "experienced" bodies. Look forward to hearing anyone with the daring to try these "wild" rides.

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 33,604 views. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

I was one of the very early commercial participants in the Nevis bungy jump back in the day. The bungy jump operates from the same platform as the catapult. The catapult is really an extension of the bungy swing and priced accordingly. Just standing in the pod alone without doing either experience can be intimidating enough. I note from news pictures that one now walks to the pod whereas back in the day one got there is what could be termed a large coal skuttle on wheels which free ran from the shore to the pod. Cost is around $NZ250 but is proving to be no barrier. It does offer an alternative to those getting blasé about bungy jumps

From another thread, here is some great added background, history and a helpful follow-up about this "star" in New Zealand. Am sharing here. Nice to get this interesting, additional information.

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. Now at 22,750 views. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

• 3 weeks later...

Need another good reason to visit scenic and charming New Zealand? From the NZ Herald newspaper last month, they have this headline: Tourism sector already boosted from sagging New Zealand dollar with these highlights: The weak New Zealand dollar is boosting tourism with signs already of higher spending from visitors. The kiwi is bobbing around two year lows against the United States dollar and today is around its lowest level against the pound since June, 2016. Against the US dollar the local currency fell as low as 65.02c overnight. The most recent spend data, for the year ended June, showed international visitor spending was up by 9 per cent to $10.9 billion. Since June the kiwi dollar has weakened further.

Good news for those with upcoming visits planned for super scenic New Zealand. Bad news for those from NZ planning their overseas travel.

Full story at:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12123639

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 230,859 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923