Hotel in Sydeny AU?

squeeky336

Can any one recomend what area in Sydney AU, I should be looking for Hotel at? I want to stay 2 or 3 day pre cruise.. I dont need a particular hotel.. Just want to know what area to be looking at.. I want something resonable distacne from the airport and Curise port.

There seem to be so many areas of Sydney when I look on the hotel sites.. We want a hotel where we can buy a tour of the Blue Mountains..

Michelle

How much cash do you want to spend?

The closer to circular quay and the rocks the more expensive.

The closer to central station the cheaper.

If you want a happy medium there’s darling harbour,a room with a water view for a couple $ hundred a night.

What’s your budget?

If you want to splurge,the Marriott at circular quay,mid range novatel darling harbour. In the cheaper range near Haymarket and central station which is good..

Do you have a preference of hotel chains?

Can any one recomend what area in Sydney AU, I should be looking for Hotel at? I want to stay 2 or 3 day pre cruise.. I dont need a particular hotel.. Just want to know what area to be looking at.. I want something resonable distacne from the airport and Curise port.

There seem to be so many areas of Sydney when I look on the hotel sites.. We want a hotel where we can buy a tour of the Blue Mountains..

Michelle

There are two docks, Overseas Oassenger Terminal or White Bay.

But I’ll go out on a limb and suggest you look at, in likely price order

Ibis (Pitt St or Darling Harbour)

Travelodge (there are a few York St, Wentworth Ave, Martin Place)

The Grace one off, price getting up a bit, but often some good buys.

Or down near the Rocks

Marriott Pier 1 or Park Hyatt I’ve heard of members getting great deals with points, but a bit expensive otherwise.

Old Holiday Inn the Rocks great location if sailing from OPTbbut price can vary widely.

And then there are serviced appartments, where you will have a kitchenette and laundry which could be handy and save you a few $$$ on eating out.

Hubby and I stayed at The Grace Hotel for five nights pre-cruise and loved it! The central location was great as we could walk to shopping areas, restaurants, the Rocks, Circular Quay, aquarium, etc. We also used the Hop On-Hop Off bus to visit Bondi Beach and see other areas of the city. One day we took an excursion to the Blue Mountains which also included lunch, visit to see koalas, kangaroos, etc. and a ferry ride back to the city. Since our HAL cruise ship sailed from White Bay, we simply took a taxi from the hotel. The only negative was that breakfast (not included in our booking) was rather expensive. However, we did splurge two mornings because of the wonderful buffet.

GUT2047 has pretty much nailed the hotel advice. However, without any idea of budget it's difficult to provide any in-depth advice. Sure there's the Rocks - arguably the #1 tourist magnet - at a price (USD or AUD). Besides which, hotel choice are very much a personal thing - I'd take a look over on TripAdvisor for hotels. We generally stay at a serviced apartment hotel, typically one of the Meriton chain and but a boomerang's throw from Town Hall station. Sydney has great public transport and it is arguably THE way to get around - just grab yourself an Opal Card at the airport when you arrive.

No need to take an organised tour to the Blue Mountains. Just DIY by grabbing the train from Central to Katoomba and then using either local buses or the HOHO bus or trolley.

GUT2047 has pretty much nailed the hotel advice. However, without any idea of budget it's difficult to provide any in-depth advice. Sure there's the Rocks - arguably the #1 tourist magnet - at a price (USD or AUD). Besides which, hotel choice are very much a personal thing - I'd take a look over on TripAdvisor for hotels. We generally stay at a serviced apartment hotel, typically one of the Meriton chain and but a boomerang's throw from Town Hall station. Sydney has great public transport and it is arguably THE way to get around - just grab yourself an Opal Card at the airport when you arrive.

No need to take an organised tour to the Blue Mountains. Just DIY by grabbing the train from Central to Katoomba and then using either local buses or the HOHO bus or trolley.

Have no need to spurge.. Just a clean bed for 2 I usually stay in a LaQuinta or Comfort Inn sort of place... My concern is getting around from airport and tourist attractions then to the cruise port terminal. I can stay in a luxery hotel here at home.. I live close to Disney World.. I am going to AU for a cruise pf NZ and to see the sites.. Just wanted to know what niegorhood to look in.. I usually go on booking.com or hotles.com or simular sites that tells me locations.. Sydney is a big place.

Have no need to spurge.. Just a clean bed for 2 I usually stay in a LaQuinta or Comfort Inn sort of place... My concern is getting around from airport and tourist attractions then to the cruise port terminal. I can stay in a luxery hotel here at home.. I live close to Disney World.. I am going to AU for a cruise pf NZ and to see the sites.. Just wanted to know what niegorhood to look in.. I usually go on booking.com or hotles.com or simular sites that tells me locations.. Sydney is a big place.

I regularly stay at inexpensive De Vere Hotel, Potts Point, as I love the neighbourhood, which feels like Sydney. Great restaurants nearby at all price levels. Bus at door, subway short walk. Walk through Botanical Gardens to city. I get an inexpensive shuttle to and from the airport to the door.

I regularly stay at inexpensive De Vere Hotel, Potts Point, as I love the neighbourhood, which feels like Sydney. Great restaurants nearby at all price levels. Bus at door, subway short walk. Walk through Botanical Gardens to city. I get an inexpensive shuttle to and from the airport to the door.

How do you find the shuttle at the airport? are they alwasy there?

Thank You MM Down Under

I found Potts Point and your hotel.. pictures look nice and I can see on the map near to attractions.

I will try and remember when I am ready to book.. I just hope I can find this thread..

thank you

Michelle

Can you also tell me who to get the best airfare? when should I look.. I went to Qantas as I was advised.. The dates are not avaible yet.. But I put in the same dates for 2019.. I got fares for Tampa to Cairnes and then to Sydney a few days later with a rerun to Tampa From Auckalnd 3 week later for around $1500 Per person US. Is this to be expected?

Now I keep getting pop ups offering fare for half that from Cheapo air fare.. But when I put in the dates they price higher. What I was planning on doing is asking the cruise line and keep checking with Quantas.. I might get the cruise line fare and then book a flight Sydney to Cairnes and back separatly.. Are th eo ther fare sites just come on with hidden fees?

Sydney airport shuttles tend to get a bit of a bad press. The general school of thought is either take a taxi or the train - with the airport access fee and depending on close your hotel is to a station and / or how light you are travelling there isn't a huge amount in it in the grand scheme of things...

Location is your central question.

But keeping cost down.

If I have that right, look at The CBD, maybe York or Pitt Street fairly central to everything.

My #1 pick for both would be IBIS Pitt St. basic, clean, cheap.

Compared to your average US city sprawl, Sydney is actually quite compact and is best explored by a mixture of foot power and public transport. A hotel / apartment hotel in The Rocks, Potts Point or the Central Business District ("Downtown") puts you within 15 mins of the Harbour, Bridge, Harbour Ferries, Opera House, Botanical Gardens, Darling Harbour, the Overseas Passenger Terminal... I also tend to find that booking direct on a hotel website gets you as good or an even better deal than any of the third-party booking sites.

As per my last post, look at Trip Advisor for hotels and locations... and do ask questions on the Sydney (and NZ and Queensland forums for the rest of your trip).

Can you also tell me who to get the best airfare? when should I look.. I went to Qantas as I was advised.. The dates are not avaible yet.. But I put in the same dates for 2019.. I got fares for Tampa to Cairnes and then to Sydney a few days later with a rerun to Tampa From Auckalnd 3 week later for around $1500 Per person US. Is this to be expected?

Now I keep getting pop ups offering fare for half that from Cheapo air fare.. But when I put in the dates they price higher. What I was planning on doing is asking the cruise line and keep checking with Quantas.. I might get the cruise line fare and then book a flight Sydney to Cairnes and back separatly.. Are th eo ther fare sites just come on with hidden fees?

Subscribe to Qantas and Virgin and they will send you special offers, which you can book on line. These offers will be closer to the date you wish to travel in 2019. All prices are fully inclusive.

Assume you're flying Aus / NZ via the West Coast (LAX or SFO)? $1500 is probably not unreasonable for a multi-city international flight from Tampa to Down-under. We're flying LAX - SYD / AKL - LAX later this November on a United / Air New Zealand code share. Base fare was $900 + shrapnel (which was cheaper than through our cruise line) but I splurged on economy plus both legs as it's our wedding anniversary. While prices for this year or next are no guarantee for when you're travelling, as I've commented before use a site such as ITA flight matrix, skyscanner, Google flights (even your cruise line's options...) - I've never had an issue with pop-ups, but then again I'm running a blocker. For multi-City Aus / NZ without having to fly back across the Tasman Sea look at a ticket combination of Qantas / American or Delta / Virgin Australia / Air NZ....

Yes, There is a shuttle company based at the airport, which is a bit more expensive than the approx. 40 shuttles which operate to and from the airport. I phone for a shuttle to pick me up at the airport. At De Vere Hotel, you can book your return shuttle to the airport at the reception. I have always had good service from shuttles, which are the least expensive way to travel, to and from the airport, as a solo. I am a senior female, so safety is important to me.

We flew Air New Zealand SFO to Auckland then Sydney to SFO for about 3k total for 2 in a sky couch last December. I booked less than 2 months ahead. Sky couch was great. You buy a row of 3 seats that makes into a very small bed. Beat sitting up the entire flight.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

We were a family of 4 adults so went with the Meritan Apartments on Pitt St and a 2 bedroom. It was right off George Street so in the CBD ( Central business District ). We had about a 12 min walk to Darling Harbour then did the HOHO for our 2 days. In regards to flying, didn't see where your flying from but we are in So Calif so booked our flight to depart LAX 2 days before our arrival on the 17th. If your on the East Coast then allow 1 more day. Coming from the States, and planned arrival say is March 17th, book your flight out to leave 2 to 3 days earlier so the 14/15th. We used Air 2 Sea ( choice Air ) 1 way since we were cruising back. ( NZ, Transpacific & Hawaii to Seattle )

If you are looking for a budget hotel, we stayed at the Ibis King Street Wharf and the Megaboom for budget. We were very pleased with both,

Next time, we are staying budget again at the Harbour Youth Hostel which is located at The Rocks. It receives very good reviews.