Weather - NZ & Australia

GloriaF

I understand winter is Dec-Feb and the optimal time for cruising AUS & NZ. Somewhere I got the idea southern Aus & NZ is in the 70s F range. Is this correct? Is there a season to be avoided? Rainy?

What would April be like? (anniversary month)

Thanks for all info!

Gloria (20+ Princess cruises)

The summer months in Australia and New Zealand are December through February and most of the cruises take place during those months. In the Southern Hemisphere, the further south you go, the cooler it gets, so NZ will be cooler than most of Australia. There are plenty of websites that will show you the average temperatures for both countries for any month. You can expect average temperatures in most of NZ to be in the 70's in summer, but the temperatures in Australia are more likely to be in the 80's (or even in the 90's in some places like Uluru, Darwin or Cairns.)

The northern portions of Australia are tropical, so in summer, you can expect hot and humid weather with plenty of rain and the chance of cyclones (hurricanes).

April is the middle of autumn in Australia and NZ. Most of both countries are quite nice at that time of year.

If you're looking at cruising NZ be aware that there are very few cruises later than March as conditions around the bottom of the South Island, where Fiordland is, start worsening from April onwards.

NZ has variable weather. On one Christmas cruise it was 30C (86F) in Akaroa and 14C (57F) in Dunedin next day. It rains all year round in NZ but February/March is usually a little less rainy - pack a rain jacket and umbrella just in case though.

What would April be like?
April is the middle of autumn in Australia and NZ. Most of both countries are quite nice at that time of year.
I've had some lovely trips to Sydney in Aprils. And in Septembers, too, for much the same reasons (it's spring then). Moderate temperatures rather than the (sometimes) stifling heat of Dec-Feb, but without the risk of miserable wet cold drizzle in the middle of winter.

The only thing I'd add about NZ is that it's a big country (roughly a thousand miles from top to bottom - about the distance from the Canada/US border near Seattle to the Mexico/US border near San Diego), so there's no single answer about weather. The north of the country (including Auckland) is likely to be pretty consistently warmer than the south. When there, I take the same view about weather as I do here: yes, we're going to be in for a spot of weather.

Thanks to all who replied!

I got the seasons wrong, still trying to wrap my mind around opposites than in US.

Sounds like April may not be the best choice. I need to do more general research about Australia & NZ, but CC is always my first stop.

Thanks again!!

April is good for Australia, just not NZ cruises. The best compromise is to start in NZ, in late February or March, with some land travel if you have the time, then do a one way cruise Auckland to Sydney. Then do some land travel in Australia.

And plan to pack layers, with some warm layers for NZ including a hat, scarf and gloves as it can be quite chilly during the Fiordland scenic cruising.

April is good for Australia, just not NZ cruises. The best compromise is to start in NZ, in late February or March, with some land travel if you have the time, then do a one way cruise Auckland to Sydney. Then do some land travel in Australia.

And plan to pack layers, with some warm layers for NZ including a hat, scarf and gloves as it can be quite chilly during the Fiordland scenic cruising.

Chilly isn’t the word I’d pick, we were there in November thought my fingers were going to fall off.

OzKiwiJJ has exactly the right answer if you can spare the time. At the same time of year I have been sunburned in Tauranga and in full winter woollies in Dunedin.

Also I don't think just looking at the average temps can show the huge difference between the livability of the north of Australia and the Centre from Dec-Jan to April. April is getting really nice in those areas, Dec-Jan, to me, is unbearable.

I'm thinking about cruising Australia/New Zealand in November (11/9 to 11/23). Is this a good time of year to cruise there? Don't want to go when it's Summer - too hot, looking for a little cooler weather but not freezing cold. Advice?

November is fine for Australia, but it gets colder the further south you go.

South Island of NZ will likely be cool to cold, with a slight chance of being warm.

November is late spring so there can be some hot days, but generally the weather is quite nice. Getting humid up north. Should be nice in the North Island of NZ but the bottom of the South Island could still get cold, actually the bottom of the South Island can be cold in high summer. I think it is a fine time to cruise Australia and NZ

November is late spring so there can be some hot days, but generally the weather is quite nice. Getting humid up north. Should be nice in the North Island of NZ but the bottom of the South Island could still get cold, actually the bottom of the South Island can be cold in high summer. I think it is a fine time to cruise Australia and NZ

Agree we did Aus/NZ Circmnavigation Oct-Nov a great time to do it

Thanks to all who replied!

I got the seasons wrong, still trying to wrap my mind around opposites than in US.

Sounds like April may not be the best choice. I need to do more general research about Australia & NZ, but CC is always my first stop.

Thanks again!!

Weather starts to get cold in New Zealand from April. Can be ok but rain and chilly nights are the order of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm thinking about cruising Australia/New Zealand in November (11/9 to 11/23). Is this a good time of year to cruise there? Don't want to go when it's Summer - too hot, looking for a little cooler weather but not freezing cold. Advice?

NZ unlike OZ doesn’t get that hot. November nice but not warm

Sent from my iPhone using Forums