YOU'VE SELECTED LAST MINUTE SENIOR GUARANTEE RATE - on Carnival

nycruise1

Sorry for the caps I did a cut and paste. First time I have seen bargain 55+ rates in awhile. The only drawback, which could be a dealbreaker for some, is you have to take a guarantee. But this is not early saver, meaning standard penalties. I saved about $300 with the senior rate and this is for August so not really last minute. They have other months available too. Only recently joined the 55+ club so this is a nice perk.:)

• Like 2

A GTY would be OK under the right circumstances, so long as I was able to get into the category of my choice. I wouldn't book a bargain to end up in an inside, for example. So what are the details? Where? When? How long? What category did you book into?

A GTY would be OK under the right circumstances, so long as I was able to get into the category of my choice. I wouldn't book a bargain to end up in an inside, for example. So what are the details? Where? When? How long? What category did you book into?

Just check the 55+ box and see what comes up. Some months/sailings/ships offer a discount and others don't. You can uncheck the box and see if the price changes. There is a guarantee for inside or oceanview or balcony. You get a cabin in one of those categories, depending which one you pay for, but dont find out your floor and room until sometime close to sailing. So you couldnt get an inside unless you chose an inside guarantee.

Not a big fan of GTY, but we have done it a few times. One trip we had a cabin under the formal dining room. Every morning around 2:00A.M. we had chairs and tables scraped and thumped above our heads. We always travel with ear plugs so we had a cure. On another trip we had friends in the bow of the ship. When we anchored in Belize the sound of the anchor chain was amplified in their cabin. They said that they nearly jumped out of bed. We usually upgrade unless there is a big difference in price.

• 1 year later...

I just saw the 55 guarantee when I clicked on offers under spa balcony. Does this mean my guarantee room will be in the area I choose or Any area they have availability. Meaning if I choose 55+ GTY under balcony, could I still be put into an inside bunk bed situation?

Guarantees are done by category, not area of the ship.  If you book a spa balcony guarantee, you will get that category or higher, anywhere on the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

We have done guys on several cruise lines, including Carnival.  Always balcony cabins.

We do not pay much attention to seniors rates, special offers, residents discounts etc.  We only care about the bottom line.  The rest is noise level.