I want to retire on a cruise ship. Suggestions?

gaylenhazel

Wonderful! What did you do with all your "stuff" when you sold your house? :eek:

Some went to our son who we helped buy his condo so he took living room furniture. He is also storing some things for us in his storage unit. Other son took our bedroom set as it was nicer than what he had. Sold my dining room table. Craigslisted and sold/gave away lots of other things. Lots of stuff accumulated in the garage went to the dump. The things we kept went into a 10x15 storage unit. If I had had more time I would have reduced the things we kept but everything came together in a really short space of time. (Sold the house while we were cruising in late October with a January 3 move out date). Our other time limiting factor was a voluntary redundancy and a fantastic cruise that was leaving Jan 16.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Some went to our son who we helped buy his condo so he took living room furniture. He is also storing some things for us in his storage unit. Other son took our bedroom set as it was nicer than what he had. Sold my dining room table. Craigslisted and sold/gave away lots of other things. Lots of stuff accumulated in the garage went to the dump. The things we kept went into a 10x15 storage unit. If I had had more time I would have reduced the things we kept but everything came together in a really short space of time. (Sold the house while we were cruising in late October with a January 3 move out date). Our other time limiting factor was a voluntary redundancy and a fantastic cruise that was leaving Jan 16.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It takes guts to do what you did! I would love to.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

we once met a couple who went to the main headquarters of a cruiseline and negotated a fee. They had to leave their cabin when the ship was completely booked by one company etc. They also had a RV which they used when they wanted a break from the high seas. They said the trick was to pick a ship with an interesting itinery and go directly to the head office of the Cruise Line your interested in. They had been doing it for 2 yrs when we met them.

• 3 weeks later...
We want to do this too. Probably not forever on a cruise ship but certainly a year or two. But our plan is to take a TA to Europe...watching prices..if there is a good deal on a cruise in the med we'll take it...if not...stay 1 month in several of the major cities in Europe (train or Easy Jet to get there)..then take a Suez canal cruise to Dubai. Stay on the ship thru to Singpore/Perth/Sydney depending on the deal to be had. Spend several months in Australia staying in the major cities. (We will use Air BNB etc) Depending upon the time catch a repositioning to New Zealand...stay there a while. Then it's time for a Transpacific home. Stay home until the next TA...repeat with different destinations ie Northern Europe and Japan/China/Hong Kong etc. The plan is to fly as little as possible, watch our spending. We will not have a house waiting for us. Our money will be invested to help mitigate the costs. Yes we will sail on insides unless a really good deal is to be had. We've sailed in suites, balcony's and insides..you are only in your room when you sleep. When we are tired of being on the move...we'll rebuy a house/condo. I've been watching another couples travels that have done exactly this. They have a travel blog called worldwidewaftage. Very inspiring couple.

We are actually currently sailing with Tom and Jessica (worldwidewafting) on the Celebrity Infinity. Fascinating couple! They sold everything and have been on the move for six or seven years. It is a mixture of land and sea... they just finished four months (I believe) in Costa Rica and are doing b2b from Ft Lauderdale to Buenos Aires. They will stay there a month. So many adventures and great hints for doing such a thing. They each have a suitcase for clothes and one suitcase for “supplies” like ice cube trays :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tom and Jessica were our inspiration. We met them about 3 years ago on a Transatlantic (Brilliance of the Seas). We are almost finished our first year now with next year planned out. We are doing a Panama Canal starting in January after a visit to our boys for Christmas. Then Island Princess from FLL to Buenos Aires. Staying for 12 days then jumping on the Emerald Princess going to Los Angeles. Then we fly to Tokyo to do China, Taiwan and full circumnavigation of Japan. We have about 8 days between a Transpacific to Vancouver (including Russia, more Japan and Alaska). Then we fly to Switzerland to move around Europe by train for 3 months before a Transatlantic back. We are managing to stay within budget pretty well. Thank god the stock market is doing well. We are travelling with 2 backpacks and 2 carry-ons. We found the cost of flying with suitcases was just a waste for us. So far this lifestyle is going well and we wouldn’t change a thing.

• 2 months later...

I'm wondering about the comparison of full time cruising to renting a reasonably priced small apt near a major port, say in Florida for example, and then leaving when last minute bargains come up. My understanding is that they come up often.

I am more familiar with the hotel discount model - where you rack up points based on number of stays versus how much you actually spent on those stays.

I am not sure if cruise discounts work the same way? based on number of cruises or amount spent?

I'm wondering about the comparison of full time cruising to renting a reasonably priced small apt near a major port, say in Florida for example, and then leaving when last minute bargains come up. My understanding is that they come up often.

I am more familiar with the hotel discount model - where you rack up points based on number of stays versus how much you actually spent on those stays.

I am not sure if cruise discounts work the same way? based on number of cruises or amount spent?

Thats an interesting idea. Maybe buy a cheap condo...

Is there a way to do B2B2B or B2B and then B2B on another route on the same line with an economy of scale?

We just met a couple who has not been "home" since Oct-- as they have been cruising for almost 4 mos now

• 3 weeks later...
Tom and Jessica were our inspiration. We met them about 3 years ago on a Transatlantic (Brilliance of the Seas). We are almost finished our first year now with next year planned out. We are doing a Panama Canal starting in January after a visit to our boys for Christmas. Then Island Princess from FLL to Buenos Aires. Staying for 12 days then jumping on the Emerald Princess going to Los Angeles. Then we fly to Tokyo to do China, Taiwan and full circumnavigation of Japan. We have about 8 days between a Transpacific to Vancouver (including Russia, more Japan and Alaska). Then we fly to Switzerland to move around Europe by train for 3 months before a Transatlantic back. We are managing to stay within budget pretty well. Thank god the stock market is doing well. We are travelling with 2 backpacks and 2 carry-ons. We found the cost of flying with suitcases was just a waste for us. So far this lifestyle is going well and we wouldn’t change a thing.

Your trips sound amazing. We have about 250 cruising days and travelled internationally for work so we have been to a lot of the ports you will visit. China is amazing and we loved Buenos Aires. We were surprised by how much we enjoyed Russia.

I am amazed that you only have back packs and carry-ons. I can't manage to do that even for a couple of weeks. My hat is off to you to have the courage to do what you did and to pack the way you do!!!