Aft cabins - problem with soot?

The aft cabins are extremely popular and go very quickly probably because of the balcony size and 2 sunbeds etc (Decks 7 & 8 - not sure about 6).

We were on the port side in a j s about two thirds towards the stern in November and we had a few days of some soot, but I suppose we were closer to the funnel than the rear cabins and there was a cross wind.

I didn't hear of any soot problems at the stern. Just above those cabins is the Verandah sun deck and we were there a few times and there was no soot.

• 1 month later...

We sailed in an aft cabin when Discovery was Splendour of the Seas and did have soot on the balcony some mornings. We had the same cabin on Discovery 2 when it was Legend of the Seas and had some soot, but not so often. It wasn't enough to put us off those lovely big balconies

• 1 month later...

We have already booked cabin 6626 for the Baltic Capitals cruise June 23rd. This is the first time we have had a balcony cabin and we booked the aft cabin for the views and larger balcony, however I'm a bit concerned about the comment re noise and smoke from the crews recreation area below. There was no way of identifying this on the deck plans. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Like 1

We have already booked cabin 6626 for the Baltic Capitals cruise June 23rd. This is the first time we have had a balcony cabin and we booked the aft cabin for the views and larger balcony, however I'm a bit concerned about the comment re noise and smoke from the crews recreation area below. There was no way of identifying this on the deck plans. Has anyone else experienced this?

We came off D2 last week and we had 8080.

Occasionally we could smell smoke up there from the crew recreation area and often heard them, although it wasn't intrusive. However I imagine it could be on deck 6.

Regarding soot we did have a few days when it was quite bad but out of 24 nights it was probably no more than 5.

Thanks for your reply. We are reluctant to change cabins at this stage - I think we will have to see how it goes and ask to move if it is a real problem. I just hope there isn't too much late night noise from below!

I think you'll be OK.

We didn't hear anything rowdy but at least you are aware of the situation.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hi Julia

had cabin 6122 the opposite end to 6626 large balcony two sun beds two chairs and table,this is a deluxe cabin with fridge loads of draw space and lockers, and lovely views looking a stern, and no smell of cig smoke and very quite enjoy.

Thanks, it's reassuring to hear from someone who has had a similar cabin with no problems. I'm really looking forward to the cruise - first time for us doing a fortnight and with a balcony cabin. All our previous trips have been fly cruises in a deck 3 or 3 outside cabin.

We are in 8586 does anyone know if soot a problem or anyone stayed in this cabin please ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Queenmandy we have been in 8086 centre aft cabin and 8087 rear port side no problems with soot or noise in ether.

We prefer the aft cabin and have booked it again for next year. Found aft is a lovely position and didn't notice any movement its also local to stairs which exit in the glass house very useful;p.

PS. The cabin is not so deep as the others but is wider and has a much larger balcony with 2 sun loungers 2 chairs and a small table:cool:

Any questions just ask.