Haleakalā National Park at Sunrise; Rental Car Parking

borntobehappy

Hello!

We are renting a car in Maui in order to see the sunrise at Haleakalā.

It appears we can park the car at the airport overnight.

My question is will we be able to get an uber or taxi at 2:30 a.m. to get to the airport to pick up the car?

Alternatively, is there a place we can park near the port where I can walk to pick up the car?

I have read every available thread on rental car parking in Maui but have not seen this addressed.

Thanks Cruise Critic Critters - I mostly lurk but find it amazingly helpful.

Thanks Princeton. Not a boat tour gal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, I cannot help you on the parking question. The airport is very close, so I would think Uber or a Taxi would be available. I am not sure the hours for the car rental offices. You could rent it the previous day and park at the airport or somewhere closer.

I just wanted to make sure you realized that you have to have a reservation to get into the main park area for the sunrise.

Also there are independent sunrise tours that you can book.

My brother and I drove to the Park for the sunrise last year and it was awesome. Dress warm. I would also recommend doing part of the Sliding Sands trail at the Visitors center.

Thanks Princeton. Not a boat tour gal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Even if it’s an independent tour my point was that Haleakala is a lot more fun and much easier to do on a tour than by yourself. It’s super early in the morning, there aren’t many taxis or Uber’s available at that hour, and you can sleep longer knowing you’re just getting picked up.

I’m not a tour person either- like militantly not- but this is one of those times it works better. On the flip side the Hana highway is a lot more fun renting a car and driving on your own- I don’t understand why people want to get into a mini bus and get driven around it.

Back to your original question, borntobeahappy....did you do a search of the board for parking at Kahului? There are several discussions.....most conclude that the airport is the only for sure safe and legal place to park. About the Uber or taxi, you are right....I have been reading for months and nobody seems to know about that. If they went on their cruise and did it, they haven't returned to report. Somebody did suggest calling ahead from home to be sure. Good luck!

I’m not a tour person either- like militantly not- but this is one of those times it works better. On the flip side the Hana highway is a lot more fun renting a car and driving on your own- I don’t understand why people want to get into a mini bus and get driven around it.

Since you asked. I absolutely love to drive the road to Hana and I drive it once every time I do a land vacation on Maui. It is a little stressful and sometimes finding parking at the stops is challenging. The Gypsy guide is very helpful. I have driven all the way around only once, so I turn around and go back. My DW does not like the part where you go all the way around.

One year, we booked a tour. I only did it once, but it was a great experience. I was able to look around more, relax, and also enjoy the complete circle. The minibus had captain chairs in every seat and it was very comfortable. The driving just dropped us off sometimes and I never had to worry about parking.

The bottom line is that I love the drive, but I can see some advantages to being on a tour. Just a one time experience for me.

I have been blessed to visit Maui many times. I am not positive, but you would have to likely prearrange service to the rental car lot. Another issue is that if you can arrange transport, many of the offices won't be open. As far as parking by the port, I would ask the rental agent if they're aware of a place to park the car overnight. So, in regards to specific answers, I don't have them. :confused: However, I did want to be sure that you were aware of a change at the park. In February, the NPS started requiring reservations to visit the summit for sunrise. Here is a link: https://www.nps.gov/hale/planyourvisit/haleakala-sunrise-reservations.htm

I do hope this helps you! :D

I have been blessed to visit Maui many times. I am not positive, but you would have to likely prearrange service to the rental car lot. Another issue is that if you can arrange transport, many of the offices won't be open. As far as parking by the port, I would ask the rental agent if they're aware of a place to park the car overnight. So, in regards to specific answers, I don't have them. :confused: However, I did want to be sure that you were aware of a change at the park. In February, the NPS started requiring reservations to visit the summit for sunrise. Here is a link: https://www.nps.gov/hale/planyourvisit/haleakala-sunrise-reservations.htm

I do hope this helps you! :D

Thank you. I have our reservation for the park & for the car. Will just have to wing it most likely when we are there.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...