Wailea vs Lahaina

tocruiseguy

Hello all, we are planning to stay post cruise in Maui. Hotels are expensive in both places but Wailea is quite a bit more than Lahaina. Question is, is it worth the extra money to stay in Wailea. Primarily looking to sit by the pool or beach for 4 days. Thanks.

Hello all, we are planning to stay post cruise in Maui. Hotels are expensive in both places but Wailea is quite a bit more than Lahaina. Question is, is it worth the extra money to stay in Wailea. Primarily looking to sit by the pool or beach for 4 days. Thanks.

Lahaina and Wailea (The Pioneer Inn versus the Four Seasons, for instance) are totally different, and you really can't compare them. Try Wailea versus Ka'anapali or Kapalua instead to get closer in price/amenities/worth.

As Silver wrote, check those other areas because Lahaina isn’t the place for a hotel beach stay.

Comparing Wailea & Ka’anapali resort hotels, each area has advantages. I prefer Wailea’s beaches located between lava points & is a quieter less crowded area but dining is more limited. Ka’anapali is a long sandy beach with more dining options including in Lahaina a short drive away.

I don’t know which area would be best for you...both are good for beach & pool time.

Wailea:

http://www.dreamvacationsmaui.com/ekolu304/images/Wailea-Beaches-Maui-1.jpg

Ka’anapali:

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/hawaii-maui-aerial-of-kaanapali-resort-area-picture-id177871054

As Silver wrote, check those other areas because Lahaina isn’t the place for a hotel beach stay.

Comparing Wailea & Ka’anapali resort hotels, each area has advantages. I prefer Wailea’s beaches located between lava points & is a quieter less crowded area but dining is more limited. Ka’anapali is a long sandy beach with more dining options including in Lahaina a short drive away.

I don’t know which area would be best for you...both are good for beach & pool time.

Wailea:

http://www.dreamvacationsmaui.com/ekolu304/images/Wailea-Beaches-Maui-1.jpg

Ka’anapali:

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/hawaii-maui-aerial-of-kaanapali-resort-area-picture-id177871054

Thanks, actually one of the Hotels we are looking at is the Westin Nanea which is on Ka'anapali. Sounds like there are more options for off hotel restaurants there vs Wailea?

Thanks, actually one of the Hotels we are looking at is the Westin Nanea which is on Ka'anapali. Sounds like there are more options for off hotel restaurants there vs Wailea?

Do note that it appears the Westin Nanea has a kitchenette in each unit, which would mean you can dine in if you wish rather than have to get all meals elsewhere. If you haven't done so already, you might want to figure food costs in a resort where you bring in some of your own food and do the cooking yourself versus a resort where you have to eat out.

Between Ka’anapali & Lahaina I’d say there are more off hotel restaurants than in Wailea.

Besides the Wailea hotel restaurants there are a couple of restaurants in the Shops at Wailea adjacent to the Grand Wailea Hotel. There’s a Ruth’s Chris, Longhi’s, Tommy Bahama and Cheeseburger Grill & Tap Room.

Whether you’ll have a car or not would be a consideration for nearby places to dine at either resort area.

We spend a lot of time in both, and both have many wonderful things. If we had to chose, we would take Wailea. But if budget is a priority, than Ka'anapali it is.

Thanks, having trouble making a choice. Its not helping that the Canadian dollar is in the tank at the moment.... its really down to which hotel, Westin Nanea, Fairmount Kea Lani and the Andaz Waliea.

Fairmont Kea Lani is absolutely heaven on earth. Perfection. We stayed there In 2016 and I cried when we had to check out and leave. I’m sure they are all good choices, but I know you’d be happy at Kea Lani.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are you going to rent a car?

I ant to make sure you realize that the Westin is a time share. A very nice and brand new one.

Your Wailea options are very upscale options.

There are a number of nice towns on the Island of Maui. Although Wailea is beautiful, it's not cheap. Lahaina is great to visit, but is not a beach destination. If you're looking for less expensive accommodation on the beach, consider Kihei.

https://mauihawaii.ca

The OP asked about hotels but a condo can be a more cost effective way to enjoy the beach & pool.

Being able eat some meals in a condo is less expensive than only dining out at restaurants. Kihei has more affordable condos & restaurants and is another option. While not as scenic as resort hotels, there are beaches & pools to enjoy.

Also the area between the Ka’anapali & Kapalua resorts (Honokowai, Kahana, Napili) are full of oceanfront condos.

Are you going to rent a car?

I ant to make sure you realize that the Westin is a time share. A very nice and brand new one.

Your Wailea options are very upscale options.

You can book the Westin like a hotel. Regarding upscale, you only live once....:D

Astro Flyer - How about something like Wailea Ekahi?

Or maybe Wailea Elua on Ulua Beach where we begin our walks along Wailea’s paved oceanfront pathway.

Between the Marriott Wailea Resort & the Grand Wailea there’s the Wailea Beach Villas.

I don’t know anything about prices for these condos but they’re in a great locations. :cool:

http://waileamauicondo.com/images/maps/Wailea.jpg

Or maybe Wailea Elua on Ulua Beach where we begin our walks along Wailea’s paved oceanfront pathway.

Between the Marriott Wailea Resort & the Grand Wailea there’s the Wailea Beach Villas.

I don’t know anything about prices for these condos but they’re in a great locations. :cool:

http://waileamauicondo.com/images/maps/Wailea.jpg

Thanks, checked out the place, very nice with a nightly rate to match....$850 per night. They are much bigger than we need. Will probably settle for the Fairmount, each unit seems to have a basic kitchenette, which would save some $s on food.

You can book the Westin like a hotel. Regarding upscale, you only live once....:D

Yes, I know. It is just different than a high end resort.

I was just making sure you realized Westin was different.

I stay at the Mahana (condo that can also be rented like a hotel) every year. It is very near the Westin that you are considering. That section of island is almost all time shares and condos. Ka’anapali Beach (a little south) has the hotels and more timeshares.

Assuming that you have a car and you are there for four days, I would recommend the Wailea area. It is dryer in that area and IMO more upscale. (And less traffic)

I have never stayed at the Fairmount or the Andaz, but they are both super nice. The Andaz is newer and more contemporary. (Japanese flavor)

Thanks, checked out the place, very nice with a nightly rate to match....$850 per night. They are much bigger than we need. Will probably settle for the Fairmount, each unit seems to have a basic kitchenette, which would save some $s on food.

I’ve never stayed in Wailea which is about a 10 minute drive from our house to walk along the scenic oceanfront path. The Kea Lani is at one end of the 3 mile roundtrip walk that we do on most days. South of there are a string of easily accessible undeveloped beaches extending to Makena’s Big Beach.

I picked a random date in May & the least expensive Kea Lani room (compact fridge & microwave) was $929 which made the Grand Wailea’s $550 rate a comparative bargain.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I’ve never stayed in Wailea which is about a 10 minute drive from our house to walk along the scenic oceanfront path. The Kea Lani is at one end of the 3 mile roundtrip walk that we do on most days. South of there are a string of easily accessible undeveloped beaches extending to Makena’s Big Beach.

I picked a random date in May & the least expensive Kea Lani room (compact fridge & microwave) was $929 which made the Grand Wailea’s $550 rate a comparative bargain.

The prices seem to reverse when we are going, early October.

PS Must be nice to live there....

If you decide on Wailea instead of Kaanapali you should check out the Days Inn in Wailea. I think it is a nice, oceanfront property with bargain prices and a fun restaurant. There are other good options in Kihei. Have a great time. Cherie

Thinking of condos, we're looking rental prices at The Palms At Wailea. Toured it many years ago and it seemed nice. What do you think of it these days? A walk to the beach, yes, but it looks fine and the rental prices are certainly fine.