NCL Dawn--What to do on Sunday After Docking at 1PM.

bussub

Thanks for the two replies above. We will probably tour the Dockyard on Tuesday. That's the day that Dawn leaves at 5pm, so we will stick closer to Dockyard. For Sunday, we can be more adventurous and go further afield as the ship is docked for Sunday and Monday. Thanks again for the help.

Thanks for the two replies above. We will probably tour the Dockyard on Tuesday. That's the day that Dawn leaves at 5pm, so we will stick closer to Dockyard. For Sunday, we can be more adventurous and go further afield as the ship is docked for Sunday and Monday. Thanks again for the help.

You don't need most of the day to tour the Dockyard. Why not go to Horseshoe Bay early in the AM and return to the Dockyard for lunch and a tour of the Dockyard in the PM.

SBtS

I had the same question. We finally decided to tour the Dockyard and visit the lighthouse and possibly some other nearby areas and then do a sunset cruise. Our second choice would have been a tour of the island--if you plan to do the Dockyard another day, a tour would be good.

• 7 months later...
We rented a Boston Whaler Boat from Somerset Bridge Watersports for four hours on the Sunday we arrived in Bermuda. It was a great time and wonderful to just drive around and poke in and out of small beaches and coves.

Hi. My family is going to Bermuda next month and was looking into renting a Boston Whaler for 4 hours like you did. My main goal of going to Bermuda was to experience the pink sand. Did the secluded beaches that you have access to have the pink sand? Did you have any problems with getting in and a it of the boat in the water?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi. My family is going to Bermuda next month and was looking into renting a Boston Whaler for 4 hours like you did. My main goal of going to Bermuda was to experience the pink sand. Did the secluded beaches that you have access to have the pink sand? Did you have any problems with getting in and a it of the boat in the water?

You will find pink sand beaches on the South Shore not on the bay side. To see the pink sand, take a public bus, mini-bus, or a taxi to Horseshoe Bay Beach.

SBtS

You will find pink sand beaches on the South Shore not on the bay side. To see the pink sand, take a public bus, mini-bus, or a taxi to Horseshoe Bay Beach.

SBtS

Thanks but I was specifically asking with regards to Boston Whaler boat rental... if the beaches you can pull the boat into are pink.

Thanks but I was specifically asking with regards to Boston Whaler boat rental... if the beaches you can pull the boat into are pink.

To see a pink sand beach, you will have to exit the protected bay and then motor to a South Shore Beach. You will be motoring in open water and then have to beach the Boston Whaler through any surf, As I wrote in my first post, to see pink sand, take a public bus, mini-bus, or a taxi to Horseshoe Bay Beach. I'm not even sure the boat rental company would rent to you if they knew your plans.

SBtS

To see a pink sand beach, you will have to exit the protected bay and then motor to a South Shore Beach. You will be motoring in open water and then have to beach the Boston Whaler through any surf, As I wrote in my first post, to see pink sand, take a public bus, mini-bus, or a taxi to Horseshoe Bay Beach. I'm not even sure the boat rental company would rent to you if they knew your plans.

SBtS

Thanks for the info but I think you are misunderstanding me. I don’t have “a plan” lol. We were originally going to go to the beaches via taxi but found that Horseshoe Bay Beach doesn’t really have water activities. I also have health issues; it’s hard for me to walk very long distances and we notice that long walks are involved with going to any of the beaches. My husband discovered the places that rent jet skis and boats, we found the idea of the boat rental a great way to experience Bermuda’s waters and be able to stop at different secluded beaches. As I said, my personal main goal of going to Bermuda was to be on the pink sands so my question was just asking if any of those beaches that we would be allowed to stop at with the boat actually has pink sand. Based on your answer, the only pink sand is on the south shore and you are saying that the rental boats aren’t allowed to be taken to the south shore. Thanks for the info. We will have to figure out what we can do during our one day in Bermuda that would make us all happy and achieve all that we are looking for.

Hi, Sheryl! We rented a Boston Whaler from Somerset Watersports. They tell you exactly how far you are allowed to go, and although it is not super far, there is plenty to explore and keep you occupied for four hours. We visited several little beaches that had pretty pink sand, got to see sea turtles and feed fish at a shipwreck (so nice we went back and did it twice). We snorkeled at both beaches, then went for a wild dash around the bay. We pulled up to the dock at Woody’s for an awesome lunch, went under the world’s smallest drawbridge and still had time to check out an abandoned resort from the water before it was time to bring the boat back. You’ll have an unforgettable adventure. We went with another couple, brought a bottle of wine and some cups purchased in Dockyard, and we each brought our own snorkel gear from home. SWS gave us bread to feed the fish. I’m no svelt little thing nor young and I had no trouble climbing up the little boat ladder in and out of the boat, but with four husky adults it was a tight fit onboard.

Hi, Sheryl! We rented a Boston Whaler from Somerset Watersports. They tell you exactly how far you are allowed to go, and although it is not super far, there is plenty to explore and keep you occupied for four hours. We visited several little beaches that had pretty pink sand, got to see sea turtles and feed fish at a shipwreck (so nice we went back and did it twice). We snorkeled at both beaches, then went for a wild dash around the bay. We pulled up to the dock at Woody’s for an awesome lunch, went under the world’s smallest drawbridge and still had time to check out an abandoned resort from the water before it was time to bring the boat back. You’ll have an unforgettable adventure. We went with another couple, brought a bottle of wine and some cups purchased in Dockyard, and we each brought our own snorkel gear from home. SWS gave us bread to feed the fish. I’m no svelt little thing nor young and I had no trouble climbing up the little boat ladder in and out of the boat, but with four husky adults it was a tight fit onboard.

Thank you so much for the information!! You really eased my mind. I was worried about not getting to see the pink sand since I was told the pink sand is only on the south shore, not anyplace we would go with the boat. I also have health issues and was nervous about getting in and out of the water. It sounds like the experience was pretty easy, navigating the waters and going where you wanted without stress or issues. I appreciate your review. Someone else recommended eating Woody’s, I didn’t know it was something you can dock at; I imagined that they walked there from the rental place.

One more thing, Sheryl. My husband has significant mobility issues. If you take a bus to and from Horseshoe Bay, it is a significant walk down than uphill for the bus. I nearly cried when we discovered that fact when we were dropped off the first time. However, if you take a minivan there and back they drop you off and pick you up pretty close to the beach on a fairly flat path. Maybe 100 yards? Last year I think it was $7 each way. There are bathrooms, a snack bar, little convenience store and an ATM at the beach, as well as beach chair and umbrella rentals. And lots and lots of pretty pink sand.

One more thing, Sheryl. My husband has significant mobility issues. If you take a bus to and from Horseshoe Bay, it is a significant walk down than uphill for the bus. I nearly cried when we discovered that fact when we were dropped off the first time. However, if you take a minivan there and back they drop you off and pick you up pretty close to the beach on a fairly flat path. Maybe 100 yards? Last year I think it was $7 each way. There are bathrooms, a snack bar, little convenience store and an ATM at the beach, as well as beach chair and umbrella rentals. And lots and lots of pretty pink sand.

You have no idea how much I appreciate that info. We looked into renting the Whaler Boat after realizing that the beaches all appear to involve a somewhat far walk. I cannot walk too far. Good to know that’s doable if we take a taxi; we might take a taxi to Horseshoe Bay after the boat rental, if we want to experience more pink sand :-). Thanks again!

You have no idea how much I appreciate that info. We looked into renting the Whaler Boat after realizing that the beaches all appear to involve a somewhat far walk. I cannot walk too far. Good to know that’s doable if we take a taxi; we might take a taxi to Horseshoe Bay after the boat rental, if we want to experience more pink sand :-). Thanks again!

Horseshoe Bay does not require a far walk if you take a taxi.

Snorkel Beach at Dockyard is on the little tram route, and I think it costs about $5 to get in. The tram is free and continuously circles, but we have waited up to 45 minutes for it. The man-made beach is really small and usually pretty crowded but there is very little walking. Horseshoe Bay is so much more spacious and beautiful, and is probably the pinkest sand around. When we take the minivan (it picks up right in front of the boat and there are benches), we get dropped off right down at the Horseshoe Bay, and usually my husband walks about halfway and then we take a break. There is a stone wall you can sit and relax a bit, then we go the rest of the way. The beach is divided in two - to the right is a small beach that is somewhat protected and is generally shallow so a lot of children/families are there. Because of the rocks around there the snorkeling is better than at the main beach. I saw lots of colorful fish and parrot fish (same as at Snorkel Park). The rental for the beach chair (a chaise) and umbrella is pricey - I think $40 for two chairs and an umbrella for the day - but totally worth it. Build it into the cost of the trip. Tobacco Bay is near St. Georges - super gorgeous and lots going on, but you will not be able to walk to it from near where the ferries drop off if you have any mobility issues. Most people take a cab/minivan. I haven't been there in a few years so I am not sure if there will be minivans waiting when the ferries dock, but I bet they will.

• 2 weeks later...
Tobacco Bay is near St. Georges - super gorgeous and lots going on, but you will not be able to walk to it from near where the ferries drop off if you have any mobility issues. Most people take a cab/minivan. I haven't been there in a few years so I am not sure if there will be minivans waiting when the ferries dock, but I bet they will.

FYI: We went to Tobacco Bay last year - took the free ferry from the Dockyards and had a short walk into the center of town ( 5 minutes fairly level) where we got a "shared" minivan - cost was $9 RT for both of us to get to Tobacco Bay. The beach at Tobacco Bay seems to be much smaller than we remembered from several years ago and it is very "sloped" now. We got chairs and an Umbrella but we were sitting on a slope which made for an interesting "slide" off the chairs! Walking to the water may be hard for someone with mobility issues.

• 2 weeks later...
FYI: We went to Tobacco Bay last year - took the free ferry from the Dockyards and had a short walk into the center of town ( 5 minutes fairly level) where we got a "shared" minivan - cost was $9 RT for both of us to get to Tobacco Bay. The beach at Tobacco Bay seems to be much smaller than we remembered from several years ago and it is very "sloped" now. We got chairs and an Umbrella but we were sitting on a slope which made for an interesting "slide" off the chairs! Walking to the water may be hard for someone with mobility issues.

thank you :Dthank you

This was just the information I was looking for.

We are a multi generational family of 10 coming to Bermuda in June. We remember Tobacco Bay from years past when we rented scooters to get there. Scooters aren't an option this time so we were wondering how to get to the beach from St Georges.