wifi?

Redtravel

On my recent Windsurf cruise, I wanted to buy the internet card. Guest relations told me that they would not sell it to me because it didn't work well. They said that I would only get frustrated and return for a refund. Instead they told me where I could connect for free at each port. I am amazed that Windstar hasn't joined the growing number of ships and hotels that include complimentary wifi. Just got news that Oceania now includes free wifi for all guests. .It is time for Windstar cruises to update by including free wifi in a booking.

I agree wifi is terrible, but really odd they wouldn't sell you access. Must get many complaints.

I think it depends on itinerary. At least they have become honest when it doesn't work. We spent $250 one year and were frustrated daily. They buy their access from a pretty expensive company from what I was told. They are not big enough for major negotiations.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think it depends on itinerary. At least they have become honest when it doesn't work. We spent $250 one year and were frustrated daily. They buy their access from a pretty expensive company from what I was told. They are not big enough for major negotiations.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think they may use MTN, and that's what Princess used to use before they changed to their own which is way better , MTN wasn't fast, I was told that they charged the cruise ships $11k a month for 256k bandwidth - which is like 4 old phone lines at 56k - but that was a while ago, - that had to suffice for all the ship's own business as well as the passengers.

Princess used to have a MTN manager on board, and they were horrible to deal with, now they have their own internet employee and things have improved.

But I guess WS is way too small to get their own , all their passengers put together wouldn't equal just one of the bigger Princess ships, and they have about 17 big ships now - and one 700 passenger one.

We have Sprint phones and our plan includes unlimited internet abroad so we didn't use the ship's internet at all during the 14 days we were on Wind Surf so have no idea what it was like.

Our cellphone service even worked at sea in the Caribbean most of the time as the phone signal seems to reach quite well out to sea.

Better up on the upper open deck than down on deck 1 in our cabin though.

• 2 weeks later...

Being connected is becoming a way of life. With so many cruise lines including free internet, I am surprised that Windstar resists high speed wifi service. I was in Hong Kong recently on a cruise(not Windstar). Star Legend was docked in front of the ship. There was free wifi in Kai Tak terminal. The terminal had lots of Windstar employees( wearing company logo gear or name tag) spending time connecting. Since I got free wifi on the ship, I did not spend time connecting in the terminal.

Am I the only person who wants to disconnect from all that when on vacation? :confused:
Nope. I'm with you on that.There's nothing better than returning to the room after a long, arduous day of relaxing on board a Windstar ship and finding my laptop closed and untouched in my dresser drawer.

If someone really needs me they have all the contact info they need to reach me on board!

Ob2 and Walt, I am with you I do not want to be connected on board. I do not need to be connected gratefully. Sometines on land will check email, mostly ads, texts, friends forgetting I am away, and 10 seconds for the news. My husband and I love being disconnected. Happy Sailing