Using credit cards

phillyguy31

I am trying to figure out how much cash I may need in Bermuda. I figure most restaurants will accept plastic, but I was wondering if I can use a credit card when purchasing bus/ferry tokens. I also assume cash for the mini van to horseshoe bay. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

I am trying to figure out how much cash I may need in Bermuda. I figure most restaurants will accept plastic, but I was wondering if I can use a credit card when purchasing bus/ferry tokens. I also assume cash for the mini van to horseshoe bay. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

At one time the Visitor Information Centers took credit cards for transportation passes and tokens, I bought a transportation pass with a credit card one year but the latest trip reports have been that they had stopped accepting cards. So until there are reports otherwise you should assume cash. A few minibuses to Horseshoe accept credit cards but best to assume not. Same with taxis. Generally not but some do. Most restaurants and shops do accept credit cards. However Discover Card is not accepted.

Just remember that you will be international and you might be charged fees. I would just bring cash

Foreign Transaction Fees. It used to be that only Capital One cards did not charge those fees but now there are more cards that don’t charge them. I have several cards that don’t charge the fees so I charge everything that can be charged when I am in Bermuda.

I know that my AMEX Gold card does NOT charge Foreign Transaction Fee (normally 2.7% for personal cards and 2.5% for corporate cards).

AMEX is accepted in Bermuda but there may be some businesses that don’t accept it. Best to have a VISA or MasterCard without the fees as internationally AMEX is not as widely accepted as MC and Visa. Heck even in my own neighborhood some small merchants like the dry cleaners don’t take it because of the merchant fees.

Mini bus to Horseshoe Bay is cash. $7 per person each way.

Loungers and umbrellas can be rented with card. IIRC, they charged in US dollars.

Restaurants take plastic. Same thing, IIRC, they charged in US dollars.

I think I spend $28 cash. 2 people, round trip to Horseshoe Bay. Rented loungers and ate dinner on card.

Mini bus to Horseshoe Bay is cash. $7 per person each way.

Loungers and umbrellas can be rented with card. IIRC, they charged in US dollars.

Restaurants take plastic. Same thing, IIRC, they charged in US dollars.

I think I spend $28 cash. 2 people, round trip to Horseshoe Bay. Rented loungers and ate dinner on card.

The Bermudian Dollar is on par with the US Dollar so it doesn't matter from a currency exchange perspective whether you're charged in US dollars or not. $1 =$1 so you really can't tell what currency your charge was in. Every place in Bermuda accepts US currency .

What does matter is that if you use you credit card in Bermuda your credit card company will charge you a transaction fee, usually around 3%, for using the card in a foreign country, except if have a card that does not charge fees for foreign transactions. It makes absolutely no difference that the currencies are valued identically. What matters is where the card is used.

Last year I used my Chase Visa card at Wahoos restaurant. Chase does charge foreign transaction fees, but I was not charged any extra fees on the transaction.

Edited by twinsbur

Last year I used my Chase Visa card at Wahoos restaurant. Chase does charge foreign transaction fees, but I was not charged any extra fees on the transaction.

Some Chase cards charge fees and some Chase cards don’t charge fees. For example Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Sapphire Reserve do not charge fees. Chase Freedom does charge fees. If you used one that does charge fees and you were not charged fees I don’t have any explanation for that.

Some Chase cards charge fees and some Chase cards don’t charge fees. For example Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Sapphire Reserve do not charge fees. Chase Freedom does charge fees. If you used one that does charge fees and you were not charged fees I don’t have any explanation for that.

Another Chase card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees is the United Airlines Mileage Plus Explorer card.

You can use the app Hitch for taxis and pay with a credit card through the app. It’s like Bermuda’s local Uber. Super convenient and makes carrying a lot of cash unnecessary.

It should be noted that it is a taxi dispatching app so unlike Uber you only get a fare estimate. The charge for a ride is metered. You don’t know the actual fare until the end of the ride. Also the fare using the app is 15% higher than paying for a taxi with cash. A tip will be an additional add on amount.

It should be noted that the app requires internet so users will need to enable data roaming on their cell phone. If data roaming is enabled then an International roaming plan would be advised as without such roaming charges can be very high. The price of international roaming varies by cell carrier.

Edited by Charles4515

It should be noted that it is a taxi dispatching app so unlike Uber you only get a fare estimate. The charge for a ride is metered. You don’t know the actual fare until the end of the ride. Also the fare using the app is 15% higher than paying for a taxi with cash.

It should be noted that the app requires internet so users will need to enable data roaming on their cell phone. If data roaming is enabled then an International roaming plan would be advised as without such roaming charges can be very high. The price of international roaming varies by cell carrier.

We’ve used it countless times over the past 2 years and the fare with always within $1-2 of the estimate. The sheer convenience of being able to get a cab anywhere you want far outweighed any small premium in fare- not to mention the fact we didn’t have to carry large sums of cash.

Flat international plans through Verizon (my carrier) are both extremely economical (about $10 a day) and necessary. Similar offerings are available through major carriers.

We’ve used it countless times over the past 2 years and the fare with always within $1-2 of the estimate. The sheer convenience of being able to get a cab anywhere you want far outweighed any small premium in fare- not to mention the fact we didn’t have to carry large sums of cash.

Flat international plans through Verizon (my carrier) are both extremely economical (about $10 a day) and necessary. Similar offerings are available through major carriers.

A 15% surcharge may be a small premium for you for the convenience. Other people may prefer not to pay that premium.

You think cell service through your carrier is extremely economical and necessary. Other people may not.

I think people should know there is a cost for convenience. They can decide on their own about the cost of convenience and the cost and necessity of cell service.

Edited by Charles4515

A 15% surcharge may be a small premium for you for the convenience. Other people may prefer not to pay that premium.

You think cell service through your carrier is extremely economical and necessary. Other people may not.

I think people should know there is a cost for convenience. They can decide on their own about the cost of convenience and the cost and necessity of cell service.

Fair but it seems very behind the times. With international plans so inexpensive now (remember the days when you had to rent an international cell phone?!) I would say I see the vast majority of tourists when we’re in Bermuda using their cell phones.

And sure- if I’m in Hamilton or near a hotel with a taxi queue and cars waiting would I save 15% by not using the app? It’s possible but not having to carry cash (or worry if you have enough cash on a metered ride) is a major plus for using it. But where it really shines is when there’s a long line at that queue or you’re in a place without taxis nearby- then it’s indispensable.

What if you pay with a debit card for dinner, souvenirs, etc.? Is there still a fee and is the fee up to the individual bank?

It is up to your bank. Most debit cards have foreign transaction fees. But there are a few that don't. Some Capital One checking accounts don’t. Charles Schwab issues a card without the fee. There are a few others.

Everywhere we went in Bermuda accepted American cash but often gave Bermuda coins as change. Cash machines in Bermuda and on the ship have eye-popping fees. We bring cash from home and keep whatever we do not need at the moment in the safe. That also keeps us on budget, you can’t spend what you do not have! We do have a travel rewards Visa card that we use if necessary. Make certain that you notify your bank that you will be traveling. My bank once shut my card off because of “suspicious activity” on a European vacation!

Everywhere we went in Bermuda accepted American cash but often gave Bermuda coins as change. Cash machines in Bermuda and on the ship have eye-popping fees. We bring cash from home and keep whatever we do not need at the moment in the safe. That also keeps us on budget, you can’t spend what you do not have! We do have a travel rewards Visa card that we use if necessary. Make certain that you notify your bank that you will be traveling. My bank once shut my card off because of “suspicious activity” on a European vacation!

Notify your bank but have more than one card. I have had a card shut off abroad even with the travel notification.

As for cash machines in Bermuda I have a card that covers any cash machine fees at other banks in the US and internationally but the bigger issue in Bermuda is that most of the cash machines only dispense Bermudian currency. Bermudian currency is not exchangeable. So if you don’t spend it you are stuck with it. You don’t want Bermudian currency except as a souvenir.

• 2 weeks later...
Fair but it seems very behind the times. With international plans so inexpensive now (remember the days when you had to rent an international cell phone?!) I would say I see the vast majority of tourists when we’re in Bermuda using their cell phones.

And sure- if I’m in Hamilton or near a hotel with a taxi queue and cars waiting would I save 15% by not using the app? It’s possible but not having to carry cash (or worry if you have enough cash on a metered ride) is a major plus for using it. But where it really shines is when there’s a long line at that queue or you’re in a place without taxis nearby- then it’s indispensable.

From Canada, a cheap international plan would be $10 per day...

From Canada, a cheap international plan would be $10 per day...

The $10 a day plans are great and I use them. I like to be connected. But not for Hitch. I don’t mind paying cash for a taxi. I don’t want to pay a 15% premium and I never had any problem getting a taxi in Bermuda. Even in places where they don’t have a taxi stand. There are 600 taxis on the island so often just waiting at a bus stop taxis would stop and ask if I want a ride. Leaving John Smith’s Bay took about 5 minutes standing by the bus stop for a taxi to stop. Was going to take whatever came first.

Not everyone wants to be connected, or has access to cheap international plans. Not everyone wants to use credit cards. A lot of people are “behind the times” but that is their choice.