Which side for Hawaii - Port, starboard or aft?

BethV114

We will likely be sailing NCL Pride of America next April for my 40th birthday trip. We will be sailing with our DD, who will be 9, and have found that balcony cabins work best with her. Which location should we book for the best views while sailing between islands - port, starboard or aft?

Thank you!

Most of your sailing time will be after dark. The scenery is not small picture, such that you need to be in one magic spot to see it. The few hours of daylight that you are sailing, you will be out and about, or coming or going to dinner, etc.

So it doesn't matter.

The Napali Coast is viewed from the port side. Spectacular! The lava coming down the volcano when traveling between Hilo and Kona can be seen from the starboard side. (At 10:45 pm on our cruise last month). You can see that something is happening but not much more. Many people were lining the decks for both events. So it is up to you, which one you would prefer seeing from your balcony.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned today from our POA cruise. Last week, those on the starboard side could view the lava flow (approx. 10:30pm) from their balconies. Those on the port side could see the Napali Coast sail-by from their balconies (approx. 5:15pm). I was happy to be able to view the Napali Coast from my port side balcony (turn up the volume on your stateroom tv and point it towards your open balcony door in order to hear the Hawaiian Ambassador's commentary). The commentary happened mostly during the port side sail-by and as another poster commented, it was already getting dark by the time the ship turned for the much shorter starboard sail-by.

We were on the March 3rd sailing of POA and I would absolutely recommend the Starboard side of the ship. We were in a family balcony room 9136 and it was great. We had wonderful views arriving into ports as well as seeing the lava flow at night from our cabin. Our kids were asleep and we woke them up to view it. When we were overnight in Kauai, we had the view of the open harbour and the mountains. Many times during the trip we commented to each other that we were lucky to be on the starboard side. So that's my vote, "Starboard"! Enjoy your trip! Happy 40th!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We had an aft cabin and could see it all :)

We happened to book the Brazilian steakhouse at 6 pm when the Napali coast was getting closer. It worked out just fine, we stepped out on the deck to see a spectacular rainbow.

l1IqlGtL64NJtgZbbar4ajxf2GGFBKh-wzy-HRVMKBhjxnGVZErFizFS0JaqO2FCcflJ3YRvT0NVwDYK8LGAC6xfW0B-PccG4aW6fM0fTCHGBFipJez2-CtuAWTwrObn6tO-oOFRaAZzlp0p05kzOtY63wgfXjRCJwyuBPG4eNCCS6rj2ikAc3ED2IwcDCDhnU0rAsTd_iemyLfvCtWV8ZkMGuoMakHPIUarx0BATdtSvmranbyzrnlat58yzdMxW0IoUPyHdB0kk91FScTvDcapZBA9-hWsxuTfar1HOnbavz6HtD27UqK1_UQBW38k8SfMkYK7cXduI3dQjNrBwtTXjEorByJSkl8e-2Tvy-04A00KV-MQeT5oOFIfK7YI4mIVmE1Vi4Bipzyo0eC_qPg-0Yo-Ibix2u3Fl9b5s7LQfDqfVpca50uy1-D0xrqmguPiATemFIsAOZZapAJxjosTEBXvLVqtu-DyLTogp6at46YeV2IXC_XDOsqIj3wIVTNonldhKgifzyJRn_AVY4v8mjy0-whItvezk0CuhcLsP7hZK58vhNZLo7RaCT9F-gaiQnPZsiOhZHcEXhGcquqqrhWKDMiOiXwJGuNGPU6Ymvzkgdqd-OHioYMxTzSQ89sMSMYeyaRZdIc7gAOdcOK_zgd-q_VEqA=w1177-h662-no

• Like 1

I would recommend port side for Na Pali Coast. The ship travels close for an amazing view. It was great to sit on balcony and take in the view. We're planning another cruise and it will be port side again.