Travel insurance- transpacific

We are going on a Transpacific cruise (16 nights) and then spending a week in Hawaii before flying home. Do I need 2 insurance policies?- 1 to cover the cruise portion and 1 to cover the land/air portion?

No. Just buy a travel insurance policy that will cover you for USA. Alternatively, if you have a credit card with 'free' travel insurance, consider relying on this insurance if you qualify for it by spending the relevant amount on the credit card. Many people use this and have found it works well.

I wouldn't rely on credit card insurance for travel to the USA and cruising. The T & C's are generally so restrictive that I would be surprised if a medevac off a cruise liner was covered.

Which country are you in?

If you’re in Australia, I normally buy my travel insurance through virgin money as you buy your normal travel insurance (select the countries for land etc) and then you add a cruise pack - which covers your whole cruise/ports etc.

I haven't seen massive restrictions on credit card coverage. As above, check out whether the PDS covers what you need - usually the limitations are more in how it is activated e.g. by spend/itinerary.

Agreed, there is also restrictions on medical (pre-existing and such), which I think is one of the more important things needing to be covered, especially for the US.

After thoroughly reading the terms and conditions, and phoning the insurer with multiple questions, I decided to rely on the credit card travel insurance for my recent 3-week cruise to Antarctica, Falklands & South Georgia. I was covered for medivac where that was possible due to the isolated area. I have a pre-existing condition (asthma) and had to pay $70 to cover me for any events caused by the asthma. I didn't have to claim, but we did on a trip years ago. Our claims for stolen property went through with no problems as did a larger one from our adult son who was with us. In addition to property loss, he had a medical claim in excess of $7,000.