Your favorite foods or liquor to take home uniquely from here?

kcdancerkc

Does anyone know if the Dockyard Brewing Co. sells bottles or crowlers to bring back home?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wish! No, unless things have changed in the last year, you can only get it on tap at the Fog & Onion, and a couple of other places around the island.

We have had many, many tortuga rum cakes in the Caribbean. Love it...so moist.

However recently in Cozumel we grabed a different brand there, it was ok but not as good as the other.

How are the rum cakes here if comparing to Tortuga?

I know that this is subjective, killing time during countdown. :cool:

There are 2 different rum cakes made and sold in Bermuda. Horton’s have been around for ever and are sold in many places. I may have had one at some point, but I don’t recall how they compare to the Tortuga Rum Cakes.

The other is from the Bermuda Rum Cake Factory out at Dockyard. They make the cakes there and you used to be able to watch them at work, but they remodeled the area and there is only a small window into the bakery. They have samples, so you can try before you buy. We like them - especially the chocolate. I think they are as good, if not better than the Tortuga ones. But everyone’s taste differs. I can only suggest that you go sample them. This way you will know before you buy.

Just went to Hortons Rum Cake website : :o

After 32 years of continuous sevice to the public, and following long and toughtful consideration, we have decided to turn off the ovens for the time being. We are in a period of significant transition in our lives and it is possible that we may return to service. For the time being though, we wish to advise that we will not begin the current season as anticipated.

We treasure the many important relationships established over our decades long history.

Just went to Hortons Rum Cake website : :o

After 32 years of continuous sevice to the public, and following long and toughtful consideration, we have decided to turn off the ovens for the time being. We are in a period of significant transition in our lives and it is possible that we may return to service. For the time being though, we wish to advise that we will not begin the current season as anticipated.

We treasure the many important relationships established over our decades long history.

Is that the one inside the glassblowing building?

• 3 weeks later...
I wish! No, unless things have changed in the last year, you can only get it on tap at the Fog & Onion, and a couple of other places around the island.

We had dinner at the F&O and saw that they do sell a stainless steel flip top growler, but it’s expensive (like everything else on the island). $40 empty, I didn’t ask how much it would be to fill it.

• 1 month later...
We have had many, many tortuga rum cakes in the Caribbean. Love it...so moist.

However recently in Cozumel we grabed a different brand there, it was ok but not as good as the other.

How are the rum cakes here if comparing to Tortuga?

I know that this is subjective, killing time during countdown. :cool:

I'm not sure how they compare, but they are very good. Not sure if they still do the tastings, but last time we were there we sampled a LOT of rum cake [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-P600 using Forums mobile app

There are 2 different rum cakes made and sold in Bermuda. Horton’s have been around for ever and are sold in many places. I may have had one at some point, but I don’t recall how they compare to the Tortuga Rum Cakes.

The other is from the Bermuda Rum Cake Factory out at Dockyard. They make the cakes there and you used to be able to watch them at work, but they remodeled the area and there is only a small window into the bakery. They have samples, so you can try before you buy. We like them - especially the chocolate. I think they are as good, if not better than the Tortuga ones. But everyone’s taste differs. I can only suggest that you go sample them. This way you will know before you buy.

Sad to hear about Horton's closing.

My absolute favorite is the Black Fruit rum cake from the Bermuda Rum Cake Factory at Dockyard.