Exploring city on embarkation day?

MaC410

We are flying into Barcelona early in the morning on the day our ship departs. We are having the ship's transfer bring us to port. I just wanted to know if there was anyway we could check into the cruise, leave our bags and walk around the city for a bit. This will be my first cruise so if this is something most people know I apologize in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Are you arriving at 9:00am on a red eye from the USA or from a European airport? If the USA you'll have to pass through Spain's immigrations and customs before heading for Barcelona. The ship's transfer is good for getting you to the dock with plenty of time and if you're lucky you can go through the check in process quickly and be free to see a little of Barcelona. The dock is at the south end of La Rambla, Barcelona's Champs Elysee or Fifth Avenue so while 3 hours is not much, it's enough to get a brief taste of the city.

Look for the Columbus Monument on this map. It's the location of most cruise line docks.

Also read the attached guide to get a better idea of what you'll need to know. Note that they do not recommend walking from the ship as they explain in the guide.

Edited by Host Walt
Add a link to Tom's guide section.

Having cruised to Barcelona 3 times we have had to take a ship shuttle bus to and from the ship to town, near the Columbus monument. Sometimes we have had to wait for the bus up to 20 -30 min. Depends on how long it takes the bus to fill up before they depart either way. It all depends on when your ship is scheduled to leave. Be on board 1 hour before! Departure day there is also the lifeboat drills required by all who sail. You will really have a very short time on shore. I would arrive a day early. Your added expense is 1 nights hotel, a one or 2 meals.

Flying to a port the day of is very risky. Can you change the flight to arrive the day before?

I have never been able to explore a port city the day of embarkation. There is always too much to do to get settled & explore the ship.