New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

First -- thanks again to the HAL experts who so kindly reply to questions on this board!

As a HAL newbie (excitedly looking forward to the Viking Passage in August!) I have another question -- the info I've read on the Mariner Society says that you earn one point for each cruise day in a cabin up thru verandah class, and two points per day if you are in a suite. For these purposes, is a Signature Suite considered a suite and thus earning you two points per day? (I ask because it really doesn't have any suite privileges/perks, just the name. :D )

Thanks for any info!

First -- thanks again to the HAL experts who so kindly reply to questions on this board!

As a HAL newbie (excitedly looking forward to the Viking Passage in August!) I have another question -- the info I've read on the Mariner Society says that you earn one point for each cruise day in a cabin up thru verandah class, and two points per day if you are in a suite. For these purposes, is a Signature Suite considered a suite and thus earning you two points per day? (I ask because it really doesn't have any suite privileges/perks, just the name. :D )

Thanks for any info!

Yes, for sure, the Signature Suite will give you the double points for sailing.

I agree on the limited perks, but you will have some cabin things and a telephone concierge and a lot more space. Enjoy :). Signature suites are a good buy for the space, etc. IMO.

Yes, for sure, the Signature Suite will give you the double points for sailing.

I agree on the limited perks, but you will have some cabin things and a telephone concierge and a lot more space. Enjoy :). Signature suites are a good buy for the space, etc. IMO.

Thanks very much for the reply! So since it's a 20-night cruise, I guess we'll go from 0 status to two-star Mariners in one fell swoop. LOL!

I did read up on the cabins before we booked, and the extra space of the Signature Suite on a 20-night cruise definitely seemed to be a big plus. We'll be on the Zuiderdam, and it looks like they've really spruced up those suites in the recent dry dock.

We are veteran cruisers, but are very excited to be trying HAL. (And it's all thanks to the ban on smoking on balconies. HAL was never on our list before that.)

Thank you again.

How are the perks for a Signature Suitehave different from the Neptune Suite other than not having access to the Neptune lounge?

We have cruised twice in Neptune suites but considering a Signature suite for a future cruise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

No free laundry, no PG breakfast, no free sparkling wine, no priority tendering, no disembarkation at your leisure, no reception in the Neptune Lounge on Embarkation Day, no Concierge support, and no free appetizers each afternoon for starters.

No free laundry, no PG breakfast, no free sparkling wine, no priority tendering, no disembarkation at your leisure, no reception in the Neptune Lounge on Embarkation Day, no Concierge support, and no free appetizers each afternoon for starters.
Wow! I had no idea there were so many differences. Thanks for answering my question.

Wow! I had no idea there were so many differences. Thanks for answering my question.

Yes, that's what I meant by the Signature Suites not really having suite perks. ;p

Seems most cruise lines have categories of staterooms they call "suites" that are more expensive than regular veranda cabins but really aren't suites in the sense of true suite perks, or perhaps have some very limited perks. Usually the cabins are larger and/or have some additional amenities that make them attractive, but it's important to know what you get with that "suite" you are booking.

Hi, we’re preparing for our first cruise next month on the Noordham. I was wondering how long does it take to get to know your way around the ship once aboard? We’ve seen some videos from experienced cruisers and they make it sound so simple! “Just take the elevators to the buffet. Or to go to the spa, just go aft side and you can grab a drink first”. They make it sound soooo easy, but we will have no idea where anything is. Does it take a few days to get your bearings ??

When you get off the elevators on your cabin floor, make note of the fire extinguisher and whether it's on your cabin's side or the other and next to your hallway or the other. Will make it easier throughout the cruise to go down the correct hallway.

• Like 1

Finally managed to read through this thread. Wow. It's amazingly informative--thanks to all who have contributed to it.

My wife and I are sailing on the Oosterdam on 1/26/19 for the seven-day Eastern Caribbean cruise as an anniversary celebration. It'll be the first cruise for both of us, and a surprise for her. Looking forward to the trip, and already starting to obsess over everything.

Finally managed to read through this thread. Wow. It's amazingly informative--thanks to all who have contributed to it.

My wife and I are sailing on the Oosterdam on 1/26/19 for the seven-day Eastern Caribbean cruise as an anniversary celebration. It'll be the first cruise for both of us, and a surprise for her. Looking forward to the trip, and already starting to obsess over everything.

Welcome to CC and the HAL Forum. Feel free to ask lots of questions and make sure you join your HAL Roll Call.

Welcome to CC and the HAL Forum. Feel free to ask lots of questions and make sure you join your HAL Roll Call.

Thanks--I had a number of questions, but I think they've mostly been answered by reading this thread. I don't see a roll call thread here for that sailing, or are you referring to something else?

I booked guaranteed VH, but won't complain if the upgrade fairy pays us a visit...

Thanks--I had a number of questions, but I think they've mostly been answered by reading this thread. I don't see a roll call thread here for that sailing, or are you referring to something else?

I booked guaranteed VH, but won't complain if the upgrade fairy pays us a visit...

There is a separate "roll call" forum here on Cruise Critic. Here's the Holland America roll call forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86

And here is the roll call for your Jan 19, 2019 Oosterdam cruise:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2596334

And here is the roll call for your Jan 19, 2019 Oosterdam cruise:

...except that I'm sailing on the 26th, not the 19th. I found the one for the 19th, but I didn't see one for the 26th.

Edit: ...though as I look at that one, it looks like includes the departure on the 26th. A little confusing, that.

...except that I'm sailing on the 26th, not the 19th. I found the one for the 19th, but I didn't see one for the 26th.

Edit: ...though as I look at that one, it looks like includes the departure on the 26th. A little confusing, that.

Ooops, sorry about that. You'll either have to wait until someone else starts a roll call for your cruise, or take the plunge and be the one to do it. There are 7-day Caribbean itineraries on Oosterdam next January 19th and 26th, 2019, and there are combined 14-day itineraries as well, where they put together two 7-day itineraries, that are also departing on the 19th and 26th. So yes, it does make it confusing. If you're only on the January 26th 7-day itinerary, then I would start a roll call for that particular cruise, or again, wait until someone else does it for you. It all depends on how interested you are in meeting some of your fellow cruisers, and possibly making excursion arrangements with them.

Recent (post dry dock) Zaandam sailing people: Are the cabin key cards ones that you insert into the door, or do you scan them without the necessity of removing them from a clear holder?

Insert type keycard. Plus my safe also needs a card with a black stripe [ocean view].

Lots of good info. We just planned a family reunion cruise on Nieuw Statendam. Anyone know what is new and different about the Pinnacle Class ships?

• More passengers
  • Smaller staterooms
  • Larger and impressive main showroom
  • Dutch Cafe
  • Very narrow Promenade deck for walking (lifeboats obscure the inside views on this deck)
  • Lots of music venues
  • No movie theater (LIDO deck outside movie screen)
  • Two level area surrounding the LIDO pool; cabanas for rent

I have to disagree about the smaller staterooms. I actually found my verandah room and bathroom on the Koningsdam bigger than my verandah rooms on the Vista and Signature class ships.

I agree that the bathrooms are bigger. While I haven’t examined every stateroom, I have examined an inside and outside stateroom plus an aft balcony stateroom, and all appeared smaller. Talking with other guests on the K-Dam, they had the impression the staterooms were smaller. I certainly realize this isn’t a scientific survey and no measurements were taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 days out from an HAL Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Just wondering if in Verandah cabins they provide blankets for sitting out on the balcony? We have an aft cabin and it would be nice or should I try to have room in the suit case for a compact down blanket? Thanks for any info.

Mary Ann

30 days out from an HAL Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Just wondering if in Verandah cabins they provide blankets for sitting out on the balcony? We have an aft cabin and it would be nice or should I try to have room in the suit case for a compact down blanket? Thanks for any info.

Mary Ann

My extra blankets have always been found in the drawer under the foot of the bed. Others have found them in the cabinets beside the sofa. You can always "borrow" some from the pool areas or ask your Room Steward.

Your aft stateroom balcony will be wind-free, so great for dining/snacking/reading while those on port or starboard sides may be blown while the ship is moving. Bring some LED candles to create a nice mood.