Rough ride last night on the WindSurf

Cometman

From reading the Azamara board it seems like there was some bad weather with large waves. They diverted their course to get away from it. Perhaps the Windsurf caught an edge of the weather. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2622926

edited to add: post 9 in the above mentioned thread has a very cool link to an animated map of current wave conditions

Yikes! Must have been unexpected? When we encountered seas like that on the Star Legend, everything on the ship was tied down. It is good news that no one was injured.

Oh, OH. I wonder how the Star Breeze faired on their journey this week to Lisbon. I’m scheduled to embark it today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My husband and I were on this crossing. The first 11 days were relatively smooth. The last two before we disembarked in Lisbon were frankly terrifying.

To put things in context--we are seasoned cruisers. We've taken about 20 over 30 years, on ships of various sizes. We've completed 4 Atlantic crossings, including one on the little Wind Star. We have never experienced anything like this.

On the first bad day, the captain announced that winds were above 40 knots, with swells around 5 meters. The galley tour was canceled, and passengers were not allowed on the outside decks. On the second bad day, swells were 6 to 8 feet continuously, all day and all night. Waves crashed into the windows of our suite on deck 3. Glassware and dishes toppled off the tables in Amphora. There were crashes inside the kitchen. Guests who sat on bar stools in the lounge were thrown off (eventually the bar stools were taken away). It wasn't even safe to sit in a chair in the Yacht Club or the lounge--chairs slid around while you sat in them, whether they were on carpet or bare floor.

Around 4 a.m. Thursday night, my husband was thrown out of bed by a very high swell. He slammed head-first into the desk and skinned one elbow. That same swell sent a heavy table, ottoman and chair careening into the wall next to our cabin door, denting the wall in 2 places. Up on the main deck, it knocked the grand piano off the stage in the lounge. Some computer monitors were broken, as was the printer used to print boarding passes.

At 7 a.m. Friday, the captain came on the intercom and acknowledged extensive damage. He asked everyone to stay in their cabins until 8:30 a.m. while breakage was cleaned up. The Veranda and Yacht Club were closed, but breakfast was served in Amphora, amid very choppy seas. I heard later that some people were jolted out of their chairs at breakfast, and breakage continued to occur.

I'll try to post a few photos from our cabin during the worst of it. We kept the lamp table from crashing by using a Windstar bathrobe belt to tie it to the rail along the window. Glass bottles were clanking around inside our mini bar, so we stuffed a towel in there to keep them from breaking.

Throughout this, the staff were simply amazing. They cleaned up and went about their daily work very professionally. I'm sure they didn't get any more sleep than we did.

I still cannot believe that we sailed into these conditions.

We had 40 knot winds on the Legend out of Yokohama. We missed a port and it was rough going but nothing like these Surf reports. Some minor breakage and water infiltration from a huge storm. Today all is calm.

Windstar27- Thanks so much for your first hand experience. Good to hear no none was seriously injured too.

Also excellent to hear how the crew reacted as well. Hopefully it will be all repaired in July when we sail!

Windstar27- Thanks so much for your first hand experience. Good to hear no none was seriously injured too.

Also excellent to hear how the crew reacted as well. Hopefully it will be all repaired in July when we sail!

So glad everyone is okay! Sound like it was a scary experience! I'm hoping it'll be even sooner as we sail in 35 days on the wind surf.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app