Cruise stop in Sihanoukville, Cambodia

lynbee

Hi there - we're from the UK and calling at Sihanoukville, Cambodia for one day in early February, but having read reviews don't really fancy gong ashore to be honest. Not been able to get a definitive answer about visas. I originally asked on Trip Advisor and was told that if we were not getting off the ship then we would NOT need to get a visa. However Princess Cruises tell us we will need a visa as we will be in Cambodian waters.

The guy who responded to me on TA thought that we should be considered as "in transit" - the same as you are if you transit through an airport whilst awaiting a flight elsewhere. Are we being ripped off or can anyone who has called at this port give me a definite answer? Princess will of course issue us with visas on board or we can apply ourselves. I even tried to get an answer from the Cambodian Embassy in the UK but they don't respond.

Would appreciate any help please. Thanks.

It’s my understanding that cruise Line will take care of visa. We got the visa through the ship.

At our visit we hired a tuk-tuk at the pier. We were driven to the local market in the city center, - we have never seen such miserable conditions - very poor and bad conditions !.

We went for a walk on the Main Street and visited 'Star Cafe' - a local help project where you could have a drink and buy local crafts - bought some local silk scarves. Took a tub-tuk back to the pier - It was very hot - 35C.

dag+16.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were told on our two HAL cruises visiting Sihanoukville that a visa was necessary whether going ashore or not. All passports had to be handed in and immigration officials came on board. The ship arranged all visas.

On both visits to Sihanoukville I organised a trip for our roll call to the Don Bosco Hotel School http://www.donboscohotelschool.com - it is one of the most uplifting visits we've ever done. The students are from the most disadvantaged backgrounds or are orphans.

The school picks you up from the port in their van and takes you on a tour of local sights including a coffee and gelato stop at their ice cream parlour in town. After that they take you to the hotel school for lunch, beautifully made and served by the students inc traditional music and dance. There is also a tour of the school.

Highly recommended.

Whether you must have a visa if you stay on the ship is a matter for the country and the cruise line to decide - normally it's required for entering territorial waters but I have heard of that being waived.

As Hallasm's post, cruise ships will arrange your visa on-board and charge the cost to your on-board account, all very easy.

Its a few years since we were there, the cost then was peanuts but I believe Princess are currently charging about $60

I've not been able to figure the cost of buying direct, to find out you may have to go partway thro the on-line application process, but it's at least $40.

I think this is the govt e-vsa site.......

https://www.cambodiaonlinevisa.org/?

This one mentions a fee of $67 plus govt fee of $40 but despite the official-looking web address I'm fairly certain it's a money-spinning agency............

https://www.cambodiaimmigration.org/faq/how-it-works?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy4Tgi_f11wIVAQvTCh1rhAsjEAAYBCAAEgLkc_D_BwE

Even if the ship-issued one is about $20 more than an e-visa it's probably simplest to let Princess do it on-board.

----------------------------------------------

Don't be dissuaded from going ashore.

It's a fascinating place that hasn't changed for centuries, unlike the other SE Asian economies.

Poor and grubby, yes. Especially the town, as Hallasm found out. Even though it's a holiday resort town for folk from places like Phnom Penh.

Together with fellow-passengers we negotiated a minibus at the pier, having planned to visit Ream Nat Park. Had a great day & the driver & guide took us to a waterfall, then to the shoreline where we took a long-tail boat out to a little resort island (little beach huts & a bar & such) for an hour or more of swimming & drinking, then to Ream Nat Park, then on the way back to Snooky (Sihanoukville) we stopped off at a grubby and desperately-poor little fishing village, worse than Snooky and a real eye-opener. Glad we stopped there.

Hell, I wouldn't like to live there - but it's a really interesting place to visit and it'll really round your education, see how the other half live..

An experience more than "a. day out"

JB :)

I just did can E-visa for Cambodia the other day as we are flying into Siem Reap for a few days before starting our cruise in Singapore.

On checking the official website it appears that an E-visa is not allowed for Sihanoukville. I'm not sure why.

https://evisa.gov.kh/information/port_entry/3

The official website for an E-visa is...

https://evisa.gov.kh

Sorry to go off the original question but for anyone else thinking of going to Siem Reap pre or post cruise - The E-visa is US$36 and the process was very quick. I received approval in a couple of hours of applying. The trickiest part for me was working out how to upload the passport photo. I must admit I sent my application in first to check it would work before sending in my husband's. This is because the fee is not refundable.

The visa is also only good for 3 months.

I could have waited and only paid US$30 at the airport but as we are going in their high season I didn't want to risk long queues. Most people will get the visa at the airport on arrival.

Julie

Thanks everyone for your help - looks as if we will be getting visas after all but will let Princess take care of them. We've been to Inda and lots of other places in Asia so won't be shocked.

Holland America got our visas for $63 and charged it to our onboard account. I think everyone had to get one, except maybe for citizens of a few countries.

About 40 of us Cruise Critic members, split into two groups each with their own bus and guide, did a great tour with Sihanouk Ville Seaside tours. Owner Mr Sothy is a graduate of the Don Bosco school. We had a coffee and cake break there and later lunch with a dancing display.

We were taken to a fishing village, a temple with young monks, the town market, the beach and a waterfall area in a National Park where the locals go for picnics and swimming.

It was a rainy day but everything was well organized and the guide told us a lot about Cambodia. The company is well rated on TripAdvisor.

We saw other ship passengers not getting off the ship shuttle buses at the market because they was overwhelmed by tuktuk drivers trying to bid for business. But a tour guide protects you.

I recommend solid shoes as places maybe muddy or messy but get out there and see how people live. As someone else said, it is no worse and I thought better than some other places in Asia.

It would be a shame not to get off the ship when you have a chance reaching a port in a faraway land. One of the reasons to travel around the world is to see and experience the culture that are different from our own. We also did the Seaside tour with Mr. Sothy and had a good day visiting a country that is in a developing stage.

Some photos of our day here, if interested.

Holland America got our visas for $63 and charged it to our onboard account. I think everyone had to get one, except maybe for citizens of a few countries.

About 40 of us Cruise Critic members, split into two groups each with their own bus and guide, did a great tour with Sihanouk Ville Seaside tours. Owner Mr Sothy is a graduate of the Don Bosco school. We had a coffee and cake break there and later lunch with a dancing display.

We were taken to a fishing village, a temple with young monks, the town market, the beach and a waterfall area in a National Park where the locals go for picnics and swimming.

It was a rainy day but everything was well organized and the guide told us a lot about Cambodia. The company is well rated on TripAdvisor.

We saw other ship passengers not getting off the ship shuttle buses at the market because they was overwhelmed by tuktuk drivers trying to bid for business. But a tour guide protects you.

I recommend solid shoes as places maybe muddy or messy but get out there and see how people live. As someone else said, it is no worse and I thought better than some other places in Asia.

We had the same experience when getting of the shuttle bus and quite a few stayed on the bus and went straight back to the ship.

However, do not be put off - just get of the bus, push you way through and walk about 100 metres away when you can easily

book a tuk tuk to take you to where you want to go.

I have been to Cambodia numerous times and love the place.

At this port of call it is probably advisable to book a tour (but not to Phnom Penh - to far) before you arrive or else go to the beach for a couple of hours and perhaps have a look around at the market where the shuttle will drop you off.

You may even see armed guards with AK47's patrolling to keep you safe at the market???

I was surprised how nice the beach was (would swim in it) and although there are many little ramshackle huts that line the beach and serve good food and drink - we had a pleasant couple of hours there and at least the drink is cheap - about $1 per bottle.of beer, spirits perhaps $2 - $3 dollars. (Don't recommend the ladies wandering around selling cooked crayfish - not sure how long ago the crays were cooked and not an icecube to be seen on the trays of crays they are carrying.)

So at least you can have a pleasant day out at the beach and not pay cruise line prices for your drinks.

I would have a look at trip advisor - Cambodia forum - and then the port of call to see what is available and the general going rate for a tuk tuk - probably no more that $5 each way I would think.

It would be a shame not to get off the ship when you have a chance reaching a port in a faraway land. One of the reasons to travel around the world is to see and experience the culture that are different from our own. We also did the Seaside tour with Mr. Sothy and had a good day visiting a country that is in a developing stage.

Some photos of our day here, if interested.

It saddens me to see people refusing to get off the shuttle bus and return straight back to the ship. YES the drop off point is very overcrowded and overwhelming with tuk tuk drivers and close to a very uninspiring local market but you can quickly by pass this area and head out of town. Competition amongst tuk tuk drivers can be quite intense because the arrival of a cruise ship brings a greater level of earning potential. Once you settle on a driver for the day he can take you to many interesting places including nice beaches with civilised restaurants. Our driver spoke good English and took us through countryside far different from your first impressions at the cruise drop off. All the locals were very friendly and the children seemed keen to practice their English skills and engage the foreign tourists. Just remember this country has suffered hard times for a very long time and regards tourism as a way forward. Please support them with your tourist dollar.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We are trying to decide if we should arrange our own tuk tuk tour once we leave the ship or go with the tuk tuk tour organised by the cruise line. Can anyone give me an idea of cost for a tour arranged for 4 people if we decide to go our own way? Thank you

We are trying to decide if we should arrange our own tuk tuk tour once we leave the ship or go with the tuk tuk tour organised by the cruise line. Can anyone give me an idea of cost for a tour arranged for 4 people if we decide to go our own way? Thank you

only few dollars - we did pay 100% tips for not 'driving too fast' - $5 in total - visited the Starfish Bakery & Cafe and Phsar Leu Market.

Why bother spending big bucks (pounds) on a cruise ship unless you like to just like being on a cruise ship? You can save quite bit of money cruising from the UK to Guernsey.

I would opt to see the world!