Cruising in July - Carnival Spirit or Pacific Explorer?

Hi fellow cruise lovers, we love Royal Caribbean, unfortunately they don’t cruise from Aus in winter. Want to do July cruise - which ship would you recommend - Carnival Spirit or Pacific Explorer?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Until last year we had sailed almost exclusively with RCI. (We had done one Celebrity cruise).

We live on a small fixed income but love cruising and let’s facebit, it’s one of the cheapest holidays especially if, like us, you cruise inside cabins and hunt for bargains.

In 2016 we watched the price of Explorer OTS's Westbound transpacific cruise plummet as sail date approached and decided that we’d try and pick up a last minute bargain the following year. We planned our 2017 calendar around taking leave in October and we waited and watched as the price of our chosen (but as yet, unbooked) cruise steadily rose.

By July I started to look at other options and by early August I was getting worried that we wouldn’t have any holiday plans. Then Carnival had a 72 hour sale and we bit the bullet, jumped ship, and decided to dip our toe in the water with them. (How many metaphors can I squeeze into one sentence?)

We booked B2B on Carnival Spirit to Vanuatu and New Caledonia. The price was so good that we even went all out and sailed in Balcony Cabins.

I was quite nervous at going away from the familiarity of RCI but we really enjoyed ourselves. I found that the two lines were more similar than different. They do some things slightly differently; not necessarily better or worse, just differently, but we felt very much at home.

Some differences we noticed were that there were not many (hardly any) Americans onboard. The passengers were mostly Australians. At the risk of sounding like an elitist snob, there was a peppering of "bogans" onboard but they didn’t over run the ship. Also, the kids were more visible on the ship. Again they weren’t EVERYWHERE but even when we sailed on Explorer OTS during School Holidays, we hardly saw kids.

For this year, 2018, we have sailed on Voyager OTS in February and have booked Carnival Spirit for August. We enjoy both lines. Sorry, RCI, we are no longer loyal to Royal.:eek:

Until last year we had sailed almost exclusively with RCI. (We had done one Celebrity cruise).

We live on a small fixed income but love cruising and let’s facebit, it’s one of the cheapest holidays especially if, like us, you cruise inside cabins and hunt for bargains.

In 2016 we watched the price of Explorer OTS's Westbound transpacific cruise plummet as sail date approached and decided that we’d try and pick up a last minute bargain the following year. We planned our 2017 calendar around taking leave in October and we waited and watched as the price of our chosen (but as yet, unbooked) cruise steadily rose.

By July I started to look at other options and by early August I was getting worried that we wouldn’t have any holiday plans. Then Carnival had a 72 hour sale and we bit the bullet, jumped ship, and decided to dip our toe in the water with them. (How many metaphors can I squeeze into one sentence?)

We booked B2B on Carnival Spirit to Vanuatu and New Caledonia. The price was so good that we even went all out and sailed in Balcony Cabins.

I was quite nervous at going away from the familiarity of RCI but we really enjoyed ourselves. I found that the two lines were more similar than different. They do some things slightly differently; not necessarily better or worse, just differently, but we felt very much at home.

Some differences we noticed were that there were not many (hardly any) Americans onboard. The passengers were mostly Australians. At the risk of sounding like an elitist snob, there was a peppering of "bogans" onboard but they didn’t over run the ship. Also, the kids were more visible on the ship. Again they weren’t EVERYWHERE but even when we sailed on Explorer OTS during School Holidays, we hardly saw kids.

For this year, 2018, we have sailed on Voyager OTS in February and have booked Carnival Spirit for August. We enjoy both lines. Sorry, RCI, we are no longer loyal to Royal.:eek:

Thanks Sparky74 - very informative and pleasing that RCI and Carnival were comparable. Enjoy your cruise in August.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My extended family and I have cruised both carnival spirit and carnival legend.and whilst we enjoyed both, the Spirit was a stand out, the service and the staff were amazing and we would not hesitate to travel on the spirit again

I haven't been on P&O so I can't compare, but I've been on Carnival twice and enjoyed both cruises very much, in fact Carnival is what got me hooked on cruising in the first place, since I won my first cruise with them (I had never considered cruising before then).

I like variety and so have booked various lines for future, but my next cruise in June is again on the Spirit.

As you said you're still looking I thought I'd throw my 2c in.

I have sailed P&O, and Pacific Explorer's previous incarnation of Dawn Princess, though not Carnival (but have read up on them).

For a July cruise, I wouldn't say there are huge differences between them. Both ships have some unique features, such that you can't say one is better than the other (though you may prefer one over the other). Carnival will have a few more food inclusions though, but shouldn't make much difference to your voyage (unless you want to eat pizza every single day!).

So if a deal came up that had the same itinerary, at the same price i.e. everything was the same, and without any benefits from either, I'd go Carnival just for the few extra inclusions. But otherwise I'd choose based on price and itinerary, as I don't believe the differences should make a material difference. For example, I wouldn't pay $500 more just to go on Carnival instead of P&O for the same grade. It may be that you like the pluses on P&O more than on Carnival (or of course the other way around, but without any other requirements/preferences, we can't say).

Edited by The_Big_M

I would think Carnival is more like Royal than what P&O is, that said, P&O does a nice fun cruise as well and the Explorer is a nice ship (old Dawn Princess). I would pick on itinerary and price and possibly if you have others (kids) travelling with you as well.

I did a recent Spirit Cruise after 3 cruises on Royal. I enjoyed Carnival and would cruise with them again. The only negative was the Buffet - Royal Windjammer is so much better in terms of quality of food.

If you haven't done a behind the scenes tour and are interested. Do one on Carnival. They are excellent and so much better and cheaper than what Royal offer.

Great question - I’ve been having the same consideration. I’ve not sailed on Spirit but have been on Pacific Explorer... I suppose the fact that Explorer is STILL on my list against a ship I haven’t been on is pretty telling!

I suppose it would come down to itinerary, theme, inclusions, water slides (though July?!) - especially if prices are similar... you’d have to weigh up the little things!

Thanks all. Still haven’t booked (in negotiations with hubby!). Will keep checking in for your thoughts. Sounds like pretty similar ships/experiences based on feedback so far.

As always ship preference is always personal, but Carnival Spirit is probably my favourite ship sailing Australian waters and preferred it to Explorer OTS. It’s a very friendly ship with a massive variety in entertainment and complimentary food options. RCL nickel and dime you a lot more than Carnival especially when it comes to food other than MDR and buffet!

I would take... anything... over P&O.

I did a recent Spirit Cruise after 3 cruises on Royal. I enjoyed Carnival and would cruise with them again. The only negative was the Buffet - Royal Windjammer is so much better in terms of quality of food.

If you haven't done a behind the scenes tour and are interested. Do one on Carnival. They are excellent and so much better and cheaper than what Royal offer.

I was the other way. Big lines at WindJammer at lunch ok food. but prefer Spirit has Guy's Burgers & mexican Cantina. You pay at Johnny Rockets for a decent burger, while Guy's is free..

this is an interesting conversation. we have cruised with P&O (Jewel and in September the Aria) and Carnival (We were on the 3rd sailing of the spirit when it relocated to sydney).

We are already planning our cruise after the one we already have booked (i think we are addicted) and am seriously considering RCI. As we are taking the kids it's all about them honestly but i'm lead to belive RCI are pretty good there right?

this is an interesting conversation. we have cruised with P&O (Jewel and in September the Aria) and Carnival (We were on the 3rd sailing of the spirit when it relocated to sydney).

We are already planning our cruise after the one we already have booked (i think we are addicted) and am seriously considering RCI. As we are taking the kids it's all about them honestly but i'm lead to belive RCI are pretty good there right?

Hi Tejas we have taken kids on RCI twice and have another booked for December. Haven’t been on Carnival yet (booked July) so can’t compare. But we love RCI - been on Ovation and Explorer of the seas and lots to keep adults and kids occupied on both.