Getting CLOSE/Walking on a Glacier

traveling1969

We are headed to Alaska and DW has her heart set on walking on a glacier or at least getting very close. In Juneau, Mendenhall is the option but if you go to the park, it appears that you don't get very close. A strenuous glacier "trek" is probably out of the question. We can walk miles but rocky, very uneven ground is another story. Are there any options at the typical ports other than helicopter flights? Thanks for your help.

Harry

Since you’re going to be in Seward you’ll be in Anchorage as well. If it works with your plans, Matanuska Glacier is 2 hours from Anchorage. It’s the most easily accessible glacier and the most inexpensive one you can trek on with a guide. From the parking area it’s a 10-15 minute walk and you’re on the glacier. There are several guides such as NOVA and MICA.

The Exit Glacier is a short ride from Seward, tho the walk from the parking lot keeps getting longer and longer. Probably 1/2 mile or so.

When I walked on my first glacier it didn't take long until I realized that it was a lot like walking on an ice covered sidewalk in front of my house....only far more dangerous.

The Byron Glacier walk is amazing, but it doesn't get you on a glacier. The white stuff the kids on standing in the link you provided is snow, not glacier ice. We hiked two miles up the Byron Glacier Valley last year and was still well short of glacier ice. And past the end of the developed trail, the hiking gets more and more dicey. Here's our pictures from our time there. http://akstafford.blogspot.com/2017/08/byron-glacier-trail.html

There are also flights out of Anchorage that fly around the face of Mount Denali and land on a glacier (in case the issue was you don’t like helicopters and not the cost).

Maybe someone here knows how close the boat across Lake Portage gets to Portage glacier?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums