Star Pride TA 4/7-20 Live

russg140

The Northern Lights peak between mid-September and late April. After April, there is generally too much daylight. It sure would be wonderful to witness from the deck of the Star Legend, but it is unlikely for your crossing.
I realize that it's not the peak or ideal time for them. I'm hoping that as we head North, there's a range where we are far enough North to get them but far enough South to have some full night hours. I know they are visible from Duluth, MN sometimes and that has dark hours in May.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I look forward to your post everyday! We will be boarding the Pride in about six weeks. Hope she is in good shape. Does the ship look good after the recent renovations?

I think Star Pride is a wonderful yacht. Perfect? No. Comfortable, easy to navigate, and - most important - well staffed? 100% and more. She is showing some signs of her age, but the crew works every day to keep her looking her best.

Like us...you will LOVE her!

Have you done any star-gazing yet? Where on the deck is best for that (less shipboard lights to interfere with viewing)?

I've got fingers crossed for a glimpse of the Northern lights on the North Pacific crossing.

Deck 8 would be the best. The onboard lecturer asked them to turn off as many lights as possible, but remember the ship still must have lights on to navigate. Still it was dark enough that I would think the Northern Lights would be visible.

So today was another lovely day, but started a bit cloudy after the rain last night. Lots to do onboard: at 10:00 you had a choice of trivia, napkin folding or the daily group French conversation (led by the Star Pride Maitre D’ Hubert). Lunch featured a Curry buffet in addition to the rest of the amazing offerings. There was a reception tonight for past cruisers hosted by the Captain (we missed it). Today also saw the advance of another hour on our clocks at 2:00 p.m.

We had our second dinner tonight in Candles with a nice couple we met; one of the best things about traveling is the people you get to meet! Cool on deck tonight for our night cap. Looking forward to once again falling asleep with the “veranda “ door open, the relaxation of the waves and the fresh, cool breeze. Couldn’t be better!

Yesterday started out cloudy but within a couple of hours it was bright and sunny. One of the daily activities is a chat with Hubert, the Maitre D’, which I may have mentioned. For those who speak either a little French or a lot it’s a fun get together. For lunch they offered Windstar burgers for those laying around the deck. It was a nice freshly grilled burger with cheese, tomato and topped with 2 large fried onion rings and a slightly spicy chipotle mayonnaise and a side of fries. Delicious and a great little “special treat”.

One of the things I want to comment on is the amazing service: there is nothing you can’t ask for that they won’t do their best to accommodate. For example, last night at dinner I asked what the cheese choices were. After he told me our waiter asked, “What cheese would you like?”. I said if they had Bleu cheese (which wasn’t one of the two) that would be great, otherwise I would have the tart. 5 minutes later here he comes with he cheese and a few slices of warm bread. Fantastic!

I also used my $40 Spa credit for a Men’s Shave and mini-facial. It was one of the best onboard treatments I’ve ever had. If you are or know someone who might like something like this I highly recommend it!

Yesterday marked the halfway point of our crossing. Believe it or not I can’t believe how fast it’s flying by!

[i don’t know if anyone is reading this, but I’ll keep posting nonetheless.]

Yesterday started out cloudy and went downhill from there. As the day progressed the temperature dropped, the wind picked up and the swell increased. By lunch it was a bit chilly. The Deck BBQ was supposed to be last night but due to the weather conditions they decided to move it indoors. They cleverly improvised and made it a “Market” type event: guests wandered through the Galley and the food was set up like you would find in an open air market. Lots of fun. One of the ship’s entertainers sang and after they had line dancing in which the crew participated, adding to the festivities. The dancing continued in the Compass Rose.

After the warnings for potentially rough seas which didn’t materialize we awoke to sunny skies and cooler temperatures. On deck it’s lovely and we’re sure as the day progresses it will only improve.

I also look forward to your posts. Can you really sit out on the deck? Was is the temperature? You’re lucky you didn’t encounter the rough seas the Windsurf did. Saw the pictures and it looked pretty bad. I enjoy participating in the conversation as there is nobody on cruise critic from our upcoming Barcelona-Lisbon voyage in May. Hope you continue to have smooth sailing.

Good afternoon! I say that to bring up the topic of how WS manages the time change, and I have to say I think it’s well done. For example: today at 2:00 pm we will once again advance our clocks one hour, so 2 immediately becomes 3. Brilliant! I don’t know why the larger cruise lines don’t adopt the same policy. It seems so much easier on everyone.

Any way...

Thanks for all the reassurance, too! Much appreciated!

Yesterday, as I mentioned the swells were manageable throughout the day, but picked up later.

One of the activities each day has been a “golf game”: a member of the crew with a portable “hole” and a group of us play, sometimes in the dining room, lounge, hallways, etc. it’s a lot of fun. We’ve had the same core group playing with a newbie added here and there. Tonight we’re going to have dinner together, which should be fun.

Seas today are pretty intense with 4-5 meter swells, so SP is moving a bit. Cloudy and windy so we decided to stay in. We may borrow a DVD and get some popcorn from room service. This afternoon there is a crepe station being set up for afternoon snacks...like we need more food!

Golf in 5 meter swells sounds like a challenge! We did TA on QM2 2014 and they handled time change same way. Beats the you know what out of flying. Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

[i don’t know if anyone is reading this, but I’ll keep posting nonetheless.]

Yesterday started out cloudy and went downhill from there. As the day progressed the temperature dropped, the wind picked up and the swell increased. By lunch it was a bit chilly. The Deck BBQ was supposed to be last night but due to the weather conditions they decided to move it indoors. They cleverly improvised and made it a “Market” type event: guests wandered through the Galley and the food was set up like you would find in an open air market. Lots of fun. One of the ship’s entertainers sang and after they had line dancing in which the crew participated, adding to the festivities. The dancing continued in the Compass Rose.

After the warnings for potentially rough seas which didn’t materialize we awoke to sunny skies and cooler temperatures. On deck it’s lovely and we’re sure as the day progresses it will only improve.

Keep up the posts. Very informative. Feel like I'm there too. Weather still holding?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry I missed posting, so to catch you up...

No. The weather finally turned. Yesterday started out cloudy and cold, with fairly stiff winds. The day stayed gloomy and the grilled burger lunch by the Star Bar was moved to just outside the Verandah. Burgers were still great! Went to the Signature Shop to buy a long sleeve “something”. Kristina, the shop manager, was telling us some stories about different cruises she’s done working in the shop on Other Cruise lines. Some really funny.

Spent the morning in the Compass Rose and the afternoon in our cabin. Our next to last day of golf had me reveling in my previous day’s hole in one. Dinner that night was with all the folks that have been playing golf together with their spouses. They presented me with a certificate acknowledging the hole in one, signed by all members of the SPGA (Star Pride Golf Association). Lots of fun! Come to think of it, all this happened 2 days ago...hard to keep track of time!

Last night was the crew show, which was good fun. Everyone agrees that the crew on Star Pride is exceptionally friendly and hard working. So many people have previously commented on their ability to remember names, which adds a personal touch you don’t find on most of the larger ships.

So today started out like yesterday, although the seas are calmer. Still cold and cloudy. Looks like we’ll spend the day up in the Yacht Club reading and doing crosswords. Since it’s our last day we have to pack, which for this trip simply means throwing all our stuff into our duffel bags. No worries with a tux, dress shoes, etc. We had laundry done, so mos of our things will go home clean.

Not sure what time we arrive in Lisbon whether it’s tonight or tomorrow.

So we're home.

Disembarked on Friday and spent 2 nights at the Avenida Palace Hotel.

Final thoughts on the crossing: Overall it was very good. Clearly the staff is outstanding, the food was very good for the most part, our cabin was fantastic. We are already talking about doing it again next year although maybe westbound.

Power yacht versus sailboat? Each has it's pluses and minuses, but overall I think we liked the power yacht better.

Honestly, for the price no one should really complain because quite frankly it costs almost as much to live at home as it did on this cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Dinner last night was good. Tonight’s was much better...

First day at sea. Last night it was warm on the ship, a/c not working too well. We slept with our balcony door open, loved the fresh air. After breakfast went on deck and read, checked email, etc. internet service is pretty good, surprisingly. Glad we bought the package. After a nice lunch went back on deck then off to the gym. Kind of warm, but they were blowing air in. Still a good sweat.

As I said, really great dinner then an after dinner under the stars.

We’re sailing at 11 knots. Nice, slow, easy relaxing. Perfect.

Questions?

I will be sailing on the Pride next week and wanted to bring a heating pad. I have been advised not to use 110 volt heating pads with 220 even with adapter. Does the room have 110 outlet near the bed?

Not sure that they allow heating pads. Seems to me I read that somewhere over the years. If memory is correct there is a 110 next to bed but it has euro plug so you need plug converter, not electrical converter. But think that heating pad bad idea on a ship.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk