Forgot to pack but Wish you did for Alaska Cruise

floridian1

Are winter coats a necessity? Or will a rain jacket with fleece pullover work?

Check out (on line) the offerings by Columbia. We recently bought two hip-length coast that are water proof, have a hood, and removable lining. We are doing our Alaska cruise on HAL's Eurodam at the end of July.

Have a GREAT cruise.

I ended up not packing enough warm shirts. I bought one on the ship and rewore it once I think.

Things I didn't forget and were glad I had were: knit hat, waterproof/rain pants, rain jacket, and gloves. The scarf is a good idea too.

Things I packed and did not need; shorts, T-shirts not meant for layering, dress and shoes for dinner on the ship--I was too tired most nights to dress up.

We had a suite so one was provided but if I ever cruise Alaska again without being in a suite, I will bring a flannel blanket to curl up with on the deck or my balcony.

I ended up not packing enough warm shirts. I bought one on the ship and rewore it once I think.

Things I didn't forget and were glad I had were: knit hat, waterproof/rain pants, rain jacket, and gloves. The scarf is a good idea too.

Things I packed and did not need; shorts, T-shirts not meant for layering, dress and shoes for dinner on the ship--I was too tired most nights to dress up.

We had a suite so one was provided but if I ever cruise Alaska again without being in a suite, I will bring a flannel blanket to curl up with on the deck or my balcony.

Do you have to book a suite in order to have a blanket provided for your balcony time or can you ask your room steward for one?

Do you have to book a suite in order to have a blanket provided for your balcony time or can you ask your room steward for one?

I’m wondering if you can get a blanket from “MUTS” - worth a try

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Movies under the Stars....on the jumbotron screen on the Lido deck. Blankets are provided for passengers watching the movie. Popcorn provided too.

Sandy

Thanks for clarifying. It has been a while since we have cruised and am being challenged by some of the acronyms used today. I will defiantly check with the cabin steward first and if that doesn't pan out (even if it does!) I will check to see what movies are scheduled.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Thought of something else...I’ve caught colds when on vacation and then have to try to find a pharmacy to get cold meds, cough drops, etc. This can be a challenge in non-English sparking countries if you can find a pharmacy at all.

Of course, should be easy to find a pharmacy in Alaska however, what do you do on a sea day? The ship really has nothing for colds (I looked for meds on my last cruise ship, to no avail!).

So this time, I’m going to include either a small plastic box or a zip lock bag with things like emergen-C, Zicam, cough drops, maybe even tiny bottle of cough syrup or NyQuil. And, like having an umbrella so it doesn’t rain, I’ll be prepared and won’t get a cold this trip!!

It was not easy to find a pharmacy in Anchorage when I had a bad cold. The one recommended was far from where we stayed before the land portion of our cruise. I finally found a little Mom & Pop deli with a few cold remedies at an expensive price. Take some of your favorites with you!

• Like 1

They are from Mephisto, one of their Allrounder styles with their Mephi-Tex fabric. They will serve me as a sneaker in a pinch, like on a cruise, but I wouldn’t use them for that purpose all the time. These are great for walking and due to the sole, should be fine if we do any light hiking. And then there is the waterproof factor!

I’ve got 3 other pairs of Mephisto, and DH has 3 pairs. We both still wear some we’ve had since 1999 as you can send the shoes back to be re-soled and refurbished—they’ll look almost new (of course the renewal will cost money but far less than a new pair).

The brand is quite spendy so be prepared! The company’s website was having a sale so I got mine there; do Google around to make sure there isn’t a better price on same or similar style. I did look and couldn’t find any better deal elsewhere; this sale was recent and may still be going on.

While you’re price checking, you might come across some other brand that will also serve your needs so keep an eye out! Hope this helps :)

I had good luck spraying my shoes with water proofing spray for camping (tents etc.). I bought it at WalMart.

Hi everyone! We sail June 29 to Alaska. I made a trip to REI specifically for shoes, and came out with a pair I love! https://www.rei.com/product/128759/la-sportiva-spire-gtx-hiking-shoes-womens They are waterproof, breathable, fairly light weight and very comfy! I got them early to break in, and have been walking in them regularly. Didn't really need any breaking in. With this being our first trip to Alaska, I appreciate all of the suggestions!

It was not easy to find a pharmacy in Anchorage when I had a bad cold. The one recommended was far from where we stayed before the land portion of our cruise. I finally found a little Mom & Pop deli with a few cold remedies at an expensive price. Take some of your favorites with you!

There are many pharmacies in Anchorage. I can think of 20 off the top of my head. There is a 24-hour Walgreens, too. Someone misled you!

Hi everyone! We sail June 29 to Alaska. I made a trip to REI specifically for shoes, and came out with a pair I love! https://www.rei.com/product/128759/la-sportiva-spire-gtx-hiking-shoes-womens They are waterproof, breathable, fairly light weight and very comfy! I got them early to break in, and have been walking in them regularly. Didn't really need any breaking in. With this being our first trip to Alaska, I appreciate all of the suggestions!

My friend has these and really likes them. I didn't want to pay quite that much and bought a pair of Merrell's Moab waterproof low hikers @ REI. I don't want wet feet for our trip in August.

There are many pharmacies in Anchorage. I can think of 20 off the top of my head. There is a 24-hour Walgreens, too. Someone misled you!

Also Fred Myers, Costco, Walmart, Carrs, Sams Club, CVS. I am sure that I missed many of the smaller ones. There are 95 of them on this site - https://www.superpages.com/listings.jsp?TPS=3&mergeTopSponsored=true&CS=L&SRC=portals&N=&C=pharmacies&EG=2&paging=1&F=1&OO=1&mp=true&nam=true&MCBP=true&PI=80&adPI=0&np=true&rightrailPI=40.

DON

I had good luck spraying my shoes with water proofing spray for camping (tents etc.). I bought it at WalMart.

Speaking of water proofer (especially for anyone from uk) I use scotch guard for leather and canvas shoes to waterproof some of my shoes and my messenger bags and backpacks. Works really well. First time I used it I was unsure how effective it would be, and I’d sprayed some suede fashion sneakers, wore them one day when it poured with rain and they were perfect. Water just rolled off, and nothing got through. I buy it on amazon and use it on everything that might go near rain or water!

• Thanks 1

My friend has these and really likes them. I didn't want to pay quite that much and bought a pair of Merrell's Moab waterproof low hikers @ REI. I don't want wet feet for our trip in August.
I got a pair of Merrill Moab WP low tops too. They come in wide - I tried several other shoes in wide (not that many choices available - Mephisto & the spires mentioned earlier don't have wide).

If it came in wide, I might have chosen Brooks Ghost GTX - the regular Ghost is my workout shoe and super comfortable. GTX means it's got Gortex.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Thought of something else...I’ve caught colds when on vacation and then have to try to find a pharmacy to get cold meds, cough drops, etc. This can be a challenge in non-English sparking countries if you can find a pharmacy at all.

Of course, should be easy to find a pharmacy in Alaska however, what do you do on a sea day? The ship really has nothing for colds (I looked for meds on my last cruise ship, to no avail!).

So this time, I’m going to include either a small plastic box or a zip lock bag with things like emergen-C, Zicam, cough drops, maybe even tiny bottle of cough syrup or NyQuil. And, like having an umbrella so it doesn’t rain, I’ll be prepared and won’t get a cold this trip!!

In point of fact, it is not easy to find a pharmacy in Alaska necessarily! We caught bad colds and wanted to pick up some cold medicine while in port in Skagway. There was no independent drug store/pharmacy, just a section in the lone grocery store. The shelves were completely empty of almost all the various cold medications. Remember some of these towns are very, very small and don't get shipments of supplies as often as in the lower 48. Ever since then I bring along my 'cold kit' on all cruises, even Alaska.

Don't know if this was stated yet, but an extra pair of shoes. It rains a lot and if your walking shoes get wet you will wish you had them.

In point of fact, it is not easy to find a pharmacy in Alaska necessarily! We caught bad colds and wanted to pick up some cold medicine while in port in Skagway. There was no independent drug store/pharmacy, just a section in the lone grocery store. The shelves were completely empty of almost all the various cold medications. Remember some of these towns are very, very small and don't get shipments of supplies as often as in the lower 48. Ever since then I bring along my 'cold kit' on all cruises, even Alaska.

Don't know if this was stated yet, but an extra pair of shoes. It rains a lot and if your walking shoes get wet you will wish you had them.

The fact that the permanent population of Skagway is about 1000 people might have something to do with this.

DON

I have bought 2 pairs of waterproof shoes over the years for wearing in Alaska. I got them both off of Zappos.com. Both have worked out very well and so glad I had them when it was pouring rain in Ketchikan. We just went out and about anyway with our waterproof parka and pulled the hood up and my waterproof shoes and I was fine.

Don't let the rain stop you from enjoying the beauty of Alaska.