Port fee refund for no show?

PARTYCOUPLE21

On my Seaside cruise in January we missed Grand Cayman due to high winds. MSC did not refund our port charges. All of the other cruise lines I have sailed have refunded when not able to get into a port.

On my Seaside cruise in January we missed Grand Cayman due to high winds. MSC did not refund our port charges. All of the other cruise lines I have sailed have refunded when not able to get into a port.

Is it possible that Georgetown, Grand Cayman, being a tendered port, does not charge port charges?

Cheers.

This topic has come up before. It is actually up to the cruise lines whether or not to refund port fees. While many cruise lines do refund, I believe it is MSC's policy to keep port charges regardless.

Wow! If that is really the case, then that is bold of MSC.

That is similar to keeping a sales tax on an item returned to a seller.

I should think it illegal.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
Yes they will. It is not automatic. You have to request the refund from Customer Service post sailing. Have done this many times for clients.

Bret

How do you make the request?

(a) While on board the ship from Guest Services (or whatever they call it)

(b) After the end of the cruise, by calling 1-877-665-4655 (the number on their Contacts webpage)

© After the end of the cruise, via email via their webpage or perhaps to a specific email address?

(d) After the end of the cruise, via a written letter to:

MSC Cruises (USA), 6750 N. Andrews Ave, Suite 100, Fort Lauderdale FL 33309

Is the answer different if you booked and paid for your cruise thru a Travel Agent?

Any insight into your success will be greatly appreciated.

Does MSC refund port and taxes for a no show? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe the OP is asking about a possible third person who is in the same cabin and does not make the cruise. Answer: I believe you have to request a refund and it has to go to the credit card that paid for the cruise. I hope that helps answer your question.:)

• 7 months later...

UPDATE:

Had a great cruise on Seaside ending 11/03/2018.  Sent email 11/05 requesting $100+ T+F refund for my cabin mate who could not sail with me, providing extensive detail (e.g. CC info).  Got automated-reply same date. An hour later, I got a person-reply from Charmine Pearson, Cruise Consultant who "will get back to you as soon as possible regarding refund of Government tax and fee's for ..."

NOTHING since that date.  

Spoke with a CSR on 12/16 about another matter (BLACK Status screw-up) and mentioned still waiting for refund.  She found the official "NO SHOW" list for my cruise, verified my cabin mate was included on it and emailed Accounting for the refund. 

STILL NOTHING.

IF I don't get the refund by March, I will cancel my 20-night Seaview cruise booked for later this year.  There are several other similar itineraries from other cruise lines available.  Note that I got a $200+ deposit refund from Costa within 2 days for a cruise I had to cancel with them (they completely changed the itinerary dates) so it's not like cruise lines MUST take months to process a refund.  It's just MSC.

"Buyer Beware"

I requested a refund of port taxes for a cruise last year when my husband wasn't able to go. (the cruise was paid in full he was just a no show)  I had to chase them up after the 28 days it said in their automated reply.  They eventually replied and said that they would not be refunding anything.

So good luck.

My nephew was a no show in our cabin as the 4th person.  Asked for a refund of the port fees and taxes for him.  Was told it would be a few weeks to get back to me.  That was 6 months ago and I have still have not gotten a response.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

UPDATE:

Got $108 refund back to CC on 05/02 after sending on 05/01 what was to be (and turned out actually was) my last email about this refund request.  My email noted it would be 6 months next week since my original Nov request and asked if anyone in their office wanted to meet after work for drinks to mark the anniversary.  I asked if there is a TGI Friday or Senor Frogs close to their workplace.

SO, either they wait for their customer to make another refund request at the 6-month mark before they process it OR my attempt at humor caught someone's attention.  No way to know and I'm not going to email them a "thank you" or anything.

I did cancel the 20 night Seaview cruise I had booked for later this year (and got deposit refunded in just a few days!) but am keeping the other MSC cruise I have booked as there are no viable alternatives for my B2B2B2B travel dates.  Will be my last experience with MSC.  

Bon Voyage to everyone who continues to sail with MSC!  And, may God have mercy on your soul(s).

• 7 months later...

Just got back from MSC Meraviglia.  Missed their own Ocean Cay island due to high winds (7 knots?????) supposedly.  Heard from staff members that they have a shark problem on their new island.  They did refund the port fees immediately.  I won't go into our cruise problems here....just suffice to say we will never go on another MSC cruise.

23 hours ago, storms said:

Just got back from MSC Meraviglia.  Missed their own Ocean Cay island due to high winds (7 knots?????) supposedly.  Heard from staff members that they have a shark problem on their new island.  They did refund the port fees immediately.  I won't go into our cruise problems here....just suffice to say we will never go on another MSC cruise.

I was on the same cruise. You are lucky to get a refund of the port fees. First I was told no one would get a refund and then I was told only US Citizens were getting a refund. Being a Canadian citizen I was out of luck. I have emailed MSC but not counting on getting a response or any refund. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I will not ge going on another MSC Cruise. 

Edited by webworm

Webworm:

We were next to a couple that had the same problem, she was U.S. and he was Canadian.  She got a refund but not him.  They were told it was because they only charge U.S. citizens the port fees.  Who knows, they do what they want.