Tui Cruises Mein Schiff 3 Bremerhaven to Majorca 11 Sep 2018

Tuffydog

Very nice and very interesting. It's exciting to see information come to fruition. I know on your side and on our side, there is so much more to the story. We live in San Diego, but have been to Australia. We'd love to go again. We did Sydney, Cairns, Port Douglas, and Great Barrier Reef. My husband had work in Singapore for almost a year. We met in Sydney for our 30th anniversary. He had work in Melbourne as well. Would love to see it and Tasmania.

• 2 weeks later...
Very nice and very interesting. It's exciting to see information come to fruition. I know on your side and on our side, there is so much more to the story. We live in San Diego, but have been to Australia. We'd love to go again. We did Sydney, Cairns, Port Douglas, and Great Barrier Reef. My husband had work in Singapore for almost a year. We met in Sydney for our 30th anniversary. He had work in Melbourne as well. Would love to see it and Tasmania.

Hi Pan Am Girl,

I have posted your comments on the German equivalent site as a quote and endorsement for AusWanderers Haus. My post is in English, and it might take some sleuth work for you to find if you want to see it. I have a bit of fun trying to interpret the instructions and the moderators censor any link I might try to include!:D :D:D

We too like the parts of Australia that you have visited and hope that your Melbourne and Tasmania trips come to fruition. It is an easy relaxed and friendly part of the world, and once here not hard to get around

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...

In preparation for our visit to the Auswanderers Haus Bremen (Emigration Museum), we traveled to Adelaide for a long weekend to catch up with friends and undertake further historical/ancestry exploration.

We toured both the South Australian Immigration Museum in Kintore Avenue Adelaide and the Maritime Museum in Lipson Street Port Adelaide. The Maritime Museum display was quite interesting but unfortunately both institutions did not have much detail other than the name of my Great Grandfather and detail of the 3 masted barque Ohio's arrival from Bremen to Port Adelaide arriving in February 1858.

The Maritime Museum entry included a tour of the Port Adelaide Lighthouse and 25% discount on entry to the Birdwood Mill National Motor Museum (if time permitted).

It was great to see these attractions in Adelaide and we were spoiled with beautiful sunny warm days (autumn).

Considering sailing on Mein Schiff in the future as Mein schiff 6 is coming to Singapore end of next year.

We have been to the ports before so we will probably tour on our own, however we are worried we will be lost in translation on the ship as our German is limited only to a few words.

Do you recommend a non-speaking German to cruise on Mein Schiff?

Thanks

Considering sailing on Mein Schiff in the future as Mein schiff 6 is coming to Singapore end of next year.

We have been to the ports before so we will probably tour on our own, however we are worried we will be lost in translation on the ship as our German is limited only to a few words.

Do you recommend a non-speaking German to cruise on Mein Schiff?

Thanks

Hi WaveSplasher,

The last Cruise Critic review posted on Mein Schiff (MS) the reviewer stated (roughly) that they would only recommend travelling on MS it if at least one of your party spoke German.

My German is only basic conversational but I find from my travels in Germany that many Germans can speak English to some extent so that if I am struggling, we can communicate in some form. Indeed I post on the German equivalent of this site in English and German and have had welcome responses in English, plus one has offered to do dinner together with partners!

The Ships house crew they say are from Manila and speak English.

The disadvantage might be the Stage shows -comedy, but musicals should be fine. Ships Excursions would be conducted by German speaking guides but we tend to do our own excursions anyway. You would probably need to know how to read a German menu if you enjoy Restaurant food. Cruising prices and shipboard currency would be in Euro I think.

We did two Costa cruises from Singapore and their Staff were required to speak Italian, The house crew spoke English. Emergency drills were in a couple of languages- so I think it wouldn't be much different to that.

The advantage might be that you get a better class of cruiser, comprised of people who really want to cruise and an all inclusive package that is transparent.

We love Singapore and would again consider cruising from there, including MS to some other ports that we haven't been to.

Kevin

It's probably me who wrote that one in your party should be able to understand German. Many of the international crew members speak English, often better than German. Safety drill announcements for crew are made in English.

Since you won't book any excursions, no problem ashore. They really make an effort to hire local German speaking guides.

We don't usually like large ships, but we like the food on Mein Schiff, especially certain kinds of tea, bread and cakes. Menus are in German, but that is vocabulary easy to figure out because it is repetitive. They serve authentic German food not food Americans believe to be German. Even the Italian and Turkish specialties are now considered German. We always had a glass of Prosecco before the first course and sometimes grappa as a digestive. They are included in the fare like many other alcoholic drinks.

Don't bother with the specialty restaurants. Service was better, but the food was what Germans think is Japanese etc. Even the Austrian restaurant was hit and miss except for the huge Schnitzel and the Strudel cake which is also available during coffee hour in the buffet.

About service, we were successful in finding the best servers in the main restaurants. It made a difference. Once they were a trio from the Philippines, the next time a Turkish duo. I have yet to find a friendly team from eastern Europe on Mein Schiff. They do exist though, but we haven't found them yet. Maybe this year in June.

One thing about the German passengers, they live in a relatively cool and rainy country with weeks of grey skies. On cruises, they will flock outdoors. In sunny weather, the pool decks are crowded like a Tokyo subway in rush hour. It doesn't matter to us, we have enough sunshine at home and prefer to sit in the shade on our balcony.

Now the intriguing news: Mein Schiff 6 in Singapore? I have to research this.

Me too!

Sounds good provided the ports are interesting and it is the right time of the year in the tropics

Tuffydog

It's probably me who wrote that one in your party should be able to understand German. Many of the international crew members speak English, often better than German. Safety drill announcements for crew are made in English.

Since you won't book any excursions, no problem ashore. They really make an effort to hire local German speaking guides.

We don't usually like large ships, but we like the food on Mein Schiff, especially certain kinds of tea, bread and cakes. Menus are in German, but that is vocabulary easy to figure out because it is repetitive. They serve authentic German food not food Americans believe to be German. Even the Italian and Turkish specialties are now considered German. We always had a glass of Prosecco before the first course and sometimes grappa as a digestive. They are included in the fare like many other alcoholic drinks.

Don't bother with the specialty restaurants. Service was better, but the food was what Germans think is Japanese etc. Even the Austrian restaurant was hit and miss except for the huge Schnitzel and the Strudel cake which is also available during coffee hour in the buffet.

About service, we were successful in finding the best servers in the main restaurants. It made a difference. Once they were a trio from the Philippines, the next time a Turkish duo. I have yet to find a friendly team from eastern Europe on Mein Schiff. They do exist though, but we haven't found them yet. Maybe this year in June.

One thing about the German passengers, they live in a relatively cool and rainy country with weeks of grey skies. On cruises, they will flock outdoors. In sunny weather, the pool decks are crowded like a Tokyo subway in rush hour. It doesn't matter to us, we have enough sunshine at home and prefer to sit in the shade on our balcony.

Here is the current schedule: https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruisesonmeinschiff6-nov2019.html

Hi Essiesmom.

Thank you for the cruise timetable for MS6 in Nov 2019.

There are 3 new ports for us to experience if we pick the 14 day Singapore return cruise, and my partner said she would love to see Langkawi again.

Decision time after we do this first cruise on Tui in September.

Has anyone explored transfer of "loyalty points" for sailing nights on Tui, to Royal Caribbean/Celebrity Captains Club?

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

I have just been researching walking tours in Lisbon.

There are a number of tours available from Sandemans New Europe. We did a number of their Berlin Tours and thoroughly enjoyed them.

The free one available starts at Camoes Monument in Largo de Camoes. It is a 3 hour tour conducted with starting times of 10 am, 11 am and 2 p.m. (last tour is too late for our port hours 0700 to 1600!) A donation to the guide is suggested.

The tours are conducted in English and Spanish or other languages by arrangement . Has anyone undertaken the Lisbon walking tour and if so how did you like it?

Points of interest covered include:

• Bairro Alto
  • The Great Earthquake of 1755
  • Chiado
  • Baixa Pombalina
  • Carnation Revolution
  • Rossio Square
  • Praça do Comércio
  • Portuguese Inquisition
  • Carmo Convent
  • The Age of Discovery
  • Salazar dictatorship
  • Santa Justa Elevator
  • The Jewish Memorial

Tuffydog

Cardiz will be a busy place:

Flavia from the German Roll Call has pointed out that P & O's Britannia with capacity of 4324 passengers is also in Port at Cardiz on the 19th September 2018.

Our port times are 9.30 am -8.00 p.m.

If you are planning any self excursions, it might pay to book early to secure spots at places of interest.

Tuffydog

Specialty Restaurants and Excursions

I received an e-mail from Tui today opening up bookings in advance for Specialty Dining and Excursions.

Tui offers Premium All Inclusive but I assume that doesn't extend to all services and offerings.

To be clear, do specialty restaurants come with a cost?

Are there seating times and reserved tables that you can book at the Atlantic Restaurant or is it as you arrive you are placed? If you can pre book- what is the process?

My Travel planner for Restaurants only shows bookings for Surf and Turf, Hanami and Richards. Other cruise lines give you the option of early or late seating, and size of table before you board.

Tuffydog

Specialty Restaurants and Excursions

I received an e-mail from Tui today opening up bookings in advance for Specialty Dining and Excursions.

Tui offers Premium All Inclusive but I assume that doesn't extend to all services and offerings.

To be clear, do specialty restaurants come with a cost?

Are there seating times and reserved tables that you can book at the Atlantic Restaurant or is it as you arrive you are placed? If you can pre book- what is the process?

My Travel planner for Restaurants only shows bookings for Surf and Turf, Hanami and Richards. Other cruise lines give you the option of early or late seating, and size of table before you board.

Tuffydog

Yes all the speciality restaurants come with an extra cost.

In the Atlantik restaurant (Classic and Mediterran) there are no seating times. When you arrive the waiter will look for a table. It depends, sometimes you get a nice table by the window for two, otherwise you have to share your table with other guests. Prebooking is not possible.

I prefer the other way like on Royal Caribbean, but the food is excellent and the restaurant is very nice.

• 3 weeks later...

I see that the German Roll Call is down (off air) until early June.

Perhaps this has something to do with the new European Privacy Laws.

Any thoughts on the reason- missing reading about potential excursions and shipboard activities.

Tuffydog

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tuffydog,

I'm also going on a cruise "Westeuropa mit Bilbao" on Mein Schiff 3, leaving Bremerhaven on 9/08/18. I see you're also from Melbourne, I didn't expect to find a "roll Call" here in Cruise Critic for TUI cruises. I'm going with my Wife and we're meeting up with relatives in Germany and creating some great memories. We previously did the "Ostsee Baltikum cruise" on Mein Schiff 1 in 2010 and it was excellent.. Currently counting down the days - can't wait. (My first post in Cruise Critic)

Hi Tuffydog,

I'm also going on a cruise "Westeuropa mit Bilbao" on Mein Schiff 3, leaving Bremerhaven on 9/08/18. I see you're also from Melbourne, I didn't expect to find a "roll Call" here in Cruise Critic for TUI cruises. I'm going with my Wife and we're meeting up with relatives in Germany and creating some great memories. We previously did the "Ostsee Baltikum cruise" on Mein Schiff 1 in 2010 and it was excellent.. Currently counting down the days - can't wait. (My first post in Cruise Critic)

Hi Turbine001, Great to hear from you and your excellent experience on Mein Schiff 1. My understanding is that MS 1 has now been replaced and upgraded. I think that your Mein Schiff 3 travel experience will prove to be great too!

My only reservation is how my wife will find it not being able to speak German, and how she can mix with people without that language knowledge. I am sure fellow cruisers will try to be inclusive where they can. As far as the "roll call" in this forum goes, there has been a bit of interest but it seems unlikely that we will make contact here with any one on this particular cruise. I have made contact with fellow cruisers on the actual German roll call for this cruise (it is down at present) and have some common travel and excursion interests, and we have been able to communicate.

You are on a shorter countdown to traveling and we hope it goes well. We look forward to reading your review on Cruise Critic if you feel so inclined.

Tuffydog

Welcome Turbine,

We'll be on Mein Schiff 6 next week for a western mediterranen cruise out of Mallorca. It's our 4th cruise with this line and the third as a family group with our adult children on Mein Schiff. Only one of us doesn't speak German. I wonder how that is going to turn out during the excursions since it is the first time that we booked all the excursions through the ship.

Hi Tuffydog,

thanks for your reply, Both our (my Wife and I) families originally came from Germany so after the cruise we’ll be looking forward to the Auswandererhaus in Bremerhaven and looking for both our families immigration records and names in ship manifests. I’ve actually been looking at Bremerhaven in Google 3D street view to get acquainted with the area. We both speak German however I can only read basic German and have to concentrate to get my sentence structure right – I was born in Australia so I do struggle with German grammar. But most Germans speak English so I sometimes revert to English to get me by. I find it amazing that you’re from the same City (Melbourne) going to Bremerhaven on the same ship (a month apart) -- I can’t find anybody else in a Roll Call for my cruise. (We live in the NE of Melbourne). My Wife has relatives on a small (German) Island called Helgoland. – it’s a very small island in the North Sea with lots of history. – we’ll be heading there after the cruise. I’ll have to keep a lookout for the roll call on the other site.(when it’s back online) Turbine001.

Hi Floridiana,

This will be our second cruise with TUI, and it will be the fourth for the relatives joining us in Bremerhaven. I see the Shore excursions have gone up in price considerably since my first cruise with Mein Schiff 1. – I remember we had some really fun excursions last time – spent 4 hours on a Segway tour on Rugen Island, I loved it. I guess you’ll be taking turns translating for the one that doesn’t speak German – but it’s all part of the experience/memories - they will still love it - Have a great time on your Mediterranean cruise out of Mallorca. Turbine001.

Hi Turbine001,

As I understand it Bremerhaven has a quaint cafe and restaurant environment to explore after visiting Auswandererhaus.

Your travels to Helgoland and past travels to Rugen Island have opened my eyes to islands I did not know existed! We had a great time around Warnemumde including Rostock and the Molli Train on the way to St Petersburg.

We are in the East of Melbourne (R'wood area) and are 3rd generation Australian with my German Great Grandfather born in Gerblingerode a small farming village immediately adjacent to Duderstadt.

Safe travels and enjoy the family catch up!

Welcome Turbine,

We'll be on Mein Schiff 6 next week for a western mediterranen cruise out of Mallorca. It's our 4th cruise with this line and the third as a family group with our adult children on Mein Schiff. Only one of us doesn't speak German. I wonder how that is going to turn out during the excursions since it is the first time that we booked all the excursions through the ship.

Hi Floridiana,

I am impressed that you can still travel as an adult family group, something we have thought of but never managed to achieve because of young grandchildren still emerging.

Thank you for your consistent contributions to this forum.

Enjoy your Western Med cruise.

Tuffydog

Hi Tuffydog,

I have just watched a Youtube clip, it's called, "Mein Schiff 3 - Live-Rundgang und Schiffstour". It's a 1hr video tour of the ship with a chap narrating in German. This will test your German :)

Turbine001