Gratuities go up!

marylizcat

We have only been on two cruises - both with Fred - and we pay the auto gratuities before travel, but give a little extra to the room steward and waiters at the end of the cruise for their excellent service. We assume (and hope) that the majority of the auto payment is shared around the crew generally.

We have only been on two cruises - both with Fred - and we pay the auto gratuities before travel, but give a little extra to the room steward and waiters at the end of the cruise for their excellent service. We assume (and hope) that the majority of the auto payment is shared around the crew generally.

Fred is quite clear on their website that gratuities are split equally between your cabin stewardess and restaurant waiter.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fred is quite clear on their website that gratuities are split equally between your cabin stewardess and restaurant waiter.

Thanks - I must have missed that detail. Shall rethink my gratuity arrangements if all those others keeping us safe and happy do not share. What about those poor chaps constantly scraping the decks and painting the ship? Not for this forum, but the whole 'tipping' thing is a questionable process.

Thanks - I must have missed that detail. Shall rethink my gratuity arrangements if all those others keeping us safe and happy do not share. What about those poor chaps constantly scraping the decks and painting the ship? Not for this forum, but the whole 'tipping' thing is a questionable process.

My understanding is that positions on the ship are either ‘tipped’ positions or ‘untipped’. The people who are in untipped positions get a higher salary than those in tipped positions. The cabin and dining room stewards get a very low hourly rate, which is then boosted by tips. The other crew members earn a reasonable wage but get no tips. I believe the bar stewards work on commission rather than tips as on American lines.

So, the cruise lines rely on passengers to subsidise wages for the stewards and waiters. Better they pay a decent wage in the first place. As I said, the whole matter is not satisfactory.

I think the vast majority of British cruisers would agree with you. Thomson/Marella include tips, as do some of the ultra luxury lines. It doesn’t seem to result in worse service. However, the cruise lines don’t want to do it as it keeps the price of the cruise artificially lower. This is a constant discussion on Cruise Critic"

What difference does it make what the line says the fee is. It is only a suggested or recommend amount from the company. If you want to pay the old rate on the ship, on the last day pay the old rate. Guest are free to do anything they want. From the company policy:

"Gratuities for our dedicated service team are not included in the cost of your holiday. While tipping is entirely at your discretion, we pride ourselves on the service offered to our guests, and are confident that you’ll wish to reward staff on board for the attention you receive."

So the company is saying tipping has no effect on service which is exactly what company policy should be. It goes on to say:

"Typically, gratuities are charged at £5.00 per person, per day for guests aged 12 and over. ......While very much appreciated, these gratuities are voluntary, and therefore can be adjusted or removed completely at Guest Services on board the ship if you wish."

So really what purpose do these notices being sent to guest really serve? No deadline that guest need to make a choice before or pay more because as whole amount is voluntary. But do not want to turn this into another P & O tipping type thread.

The only point here that I wanted to make was you can still tip the old recommend amount, the new recommend amount or any amount you want. Myself on principle alone I always remove these fees and tip directly in cash to the people I want tipped.

So, the cruise lines rely on passengers to subsidise wages for the stewards and waiters. Better they pay a decent wage in the first place. As I said, the whole matter is not satisfactory.

I totaly agree why dont these cruise lines just pay their staff a 'proper' wage in the first place,

and leave 'tipping' for GOOD service received,

I always have the Mandatory tips removed and always will do:mad:

I think the vast majority of British cruisers would agree with you. Thomson/Marella include tips, as do some of the ultra-luxury lines. It doesn’t seem to result in worse service. However, the cruise lines don’t want to do it as it keeps the price of the cruise artificially lower. This is a constant discussion on Cruise Critic"

I have a cruise booked with Fred Olsen in August 2018 and one booked on Marella for August 2019. The Marella one is cheaper for a bigger cabin and with drinks and flights and tips. The Fred one doesn't include drinks or flights and costs more. So with tips NOT included, Fred Olsen is not keeping the price down.

In the "old days", a few years ago, tips were paid on the last night at dinner to the waiters and to your cabin stewardess the following morning. It became almost a ceremony. However, there was a downside. I was on a 72 night cruise round South America and one couple who had thoroughly enjoyed the cruise didn't appear for dinner.It was a biter blow to the staff. The current system at reduces the chance of such mean-mindedness.

In the "old days", a few years ago, tips were paid on the last night at dinner to the waiters and to your cabin stewardess the following morning. It became almost a ceremony. However, there was a downside. I was on a 72 night cruise round South America and one couple who had thoroughly enjoyed the cruise didn't appear for dinner.It was a biter blow to the staff. The current system at reduces the chance of such mean-mindedness.

You can have the gratuities removed from your account and then go into the final dinner in the knowledge that your dining companions and waiters will assume you have had the gratuities added to your account. We prefer to let our waiters and cabin steward know in advance that we will be following the old tradition of tipping on the last night and morning as we find this to be a more personal way of showing our appreciation. .

On long cruises I know many of the staff like the new system. On,say, the "Round Africa" cruise their tips are paid to them at changeover ports eg Capetown, Mombasa, Dubai rather than at the end of the cruise. I am certain that their families in the Philippines, Thailand and India (and many other places) really appreciate this.

Just completed my 43rd cruise with Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines.

Yes, it is obviously easier for them if the money just goes straight into their bank accounts. It is certainly easier for the customers. It was such a pain in the old days having to calculate how much cash you were going to need for the two envelopes and then keeping it separate and safe to hand over at the end of the cruise. None of that bother now. Auto gratuities are much easier than cash, but included gratuities would be even better!

• 3 weeks later...

Why would you say mean-mindedness? It is their choice to tip or not tip on the last night, you really do not know if they tipped. Just that they did not go to the last dinner, could have been many reasons. Maybe personal issues that caused them to miss the dinner, could have still tipped after when you did not see.

But again tipping is a optional reward freely given by choice. It is a tip not a requirement, who are we to judge why and what people do about something we are not involved in? If they did not tip did they break the contract? If they did not break the contract nothing to really talk about.

On most cruise lines including FOCL tips are the main income for the domestic staff. Personally I would prefer that they were paid a decent wage and any tips would be given for service above and beyond the norm.

I have almost come to the point where I treat the auto grats like part of the cost of the cruise as effectively that is what it is. As Parsman says above it is the main income for domestic staff and so the cost element that pays for the basic services of the Cs and waiters.

Any additional tip I leave is then based on the level of service I actually receive from the staff.

Like many others I would prefer that the “wages” element was just added to the price and a decent basic wage paid.

At least Fred lets you pay it with the fare and not just lump it onto the onboard account.