Looking for other active couples to travel with.

nancyshaw

Perhaps I should also put this out on the Viking Ocean main board since this is our line of choice in the near future?
Hey Nancyshaw,

I enjoyed your comments about

your friends are too old for you

now.

My Husband and I have the same

problem. Not all our friends, we are

retired Air Force and our friends from

the military are still doing and going

all the time.

We are 75, LOL!

We did a British Isle cruise last Aug.

We spent 3 days in London first.

We walked miles sight seeing and

going up and down the tube stairs.

Then the same thing in Scotland.

I have been an equestrian my whole

life. I have ridden on every Caribbean

Island that I had the opportunity to.

I only gave up my leased horse a few

years ago.As we were traveling too much.

We feel 75 is the new 50!

Check out my profile and see if you

would think my Husband and I

would pass for 75.

Safe travels,

Tropicqueen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

Kath,

thanks, but I know what I get myself into when saying anything controversial..

just had to say it anyway...

we had an awful experience on our last Eclipse cruise in the MDR...the waitress was terrible..I didnt even go into it in my thread..and really cant write it here as it is read by everyone....

I will leave my email here if anyone is interested in the details...

nancyshaw027@gmail.com

I know - sometimes you just have to say, damn the torpedos; full speed ahead! [emoji16]

I like reading both positive and negative. I find you get a sense after awhile. Quite often things that bother others, wouldn’t bother me at all, and other times I read something the poster was fine with, but it makes me think, “whoa - I wouldn’t like that.”

So many of the people on the boards here don’t allow anything negative to be said about their favorite line, but they think nothing of bashing another - and quite often they have never even sailed on that line.

We don’t cruise exclusively with any particular line. We’ve done a lot of Carnival because we often travel with family and they enjoy it. It’s also in their price range.

We can do Carnival, but we prefer a more upscale experience. We love Viking, so far and we have an Azamara cruise booked, so we will see how that goes.

Good luck with your quest! We’ve met a lot of great people on our various cruises and we keep trying to end up on the same ship again, but it hasn’t worked out yet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are so right. You never know when things change, never know what the future holds. Time waits for no man. So do all you can, while you can. We have wasted a lot of time waiting for others to change their life style and join us. People really dont change. You have to take them as they are. You really cant push anyone to become less sedentary. They really have to want to do that themselves. Really silly to let years go by thinking things will improve. I regret it.

It is time to make the most of what we have, before we dont have it anymore.

I think your sedentary friends will be pleased you have decided to start cruising without them in the future. They might even be relieved to not have to live up to your expectations any longer

• Like 1

I think your sedentary friends will be pleased you have decided to start cruising without them in the future. They might even be relieved to not have to live up to your expectations any longer

Yes, you are right. Relieved in many ways. No more asking to walk on deck, no more asking to go to the gym, to walk on the beach, to be in the pool, to walk in ports. Hey I am not talking about hiking, mountain climbing, cave exploring, snorkeling, etc. I am taking about every day normal things. But for some, if it is not your life style at home it sure wont be a life style on a cruise.

Yes, you are right. Relieved in many ways. No more asking to walk on deck, no more asking to go to the gym, to walk on the beach, to be in the pool, to walk in ports. Hey I am not talking about hiking, mountain climbing, cave exploring, snorkeling, etc. I am taking about every day normal things. But for some, if it is not your life style at home it sure wont be a life style on a cruise.

I'm guessing your posting about this issue is more about you wanting to preach your active lifestyle to others sort of in a bragging way sorry to say in addition to putting down your current sailing partners because they don't want to follow your idea of what and how they should conduct themselves on a cruise

You are doing your sailing partners a favor...definitely by looking for others to cruise with but don't know why you actually need others to cruise with in the first place

Not at all preaching our active life style. Besides walking is hardly an active life style.

I am sorry you got the impression I was preaching and its really too bad that you decided to be insulting about it.

What we do agree on is that if others do not want to walk, then travelling with those that do cant be very enjoyable. We all need to find what makes us comfortable.

I'm guessing your posting about this issue is more about you wanting to preach your active lifestyle to others sort of in a bragging way sorry to say in addition to putting down your current sailing partners because they don't want to follow your idea of what and how they should conduct themselves on a cruise

You are doing your sailing partners a favor...definitely by looking for others to cruise with but don't know why you actually need others to cruise with in the first place

Oh please! Where is the rolling eyes emoji when you need one. I have no idea where you read that in Nancy’s post.

We love our friends and have done everything we can to encourage them to spend time with us. Unfortunately it has reached a point that the sedentary life style has won out. You really cant persuade any one of change. They have to want it for themselves.

So we found ourselves pretty much alone for all things , except for meals. That precipitated my desire to find others who may want to get acquainted and consider meeting on a cruise. Thank you for some of your responses wanting to do just that.

We love our friends and have done everything we can to encourage them to spend time with us. Unfortunately it has reached a point that the sedentary life style has won out. You really cant persuade any one of change. They have to want it for themselves.

So we found ourselves pretty much alone for all things , except for meals. That precipitated my desire to find others who may want to get acquainted and consider meeting on a cruise. Thank you for some of your responses wanting to do just that.

By continuing to call their lifestyle sedentary you are actually insulting your friends and by saying that you can't persuade them to change and they must want to change for themselves is also a bit insulting

You really could just describe your friends as wanting a more relaxed lifestyle honestly and not be harping about try to get them to change and adjust to your lifestyle

Oh that's right...in your book they are sedentary...in my book they are relaxed and don't worry about what others expect of them

Sorry you can say I'm being insulting but I see you as preaching and not respecting their choices

Oh and venting because your friends aren't interested in abiding with your cruising requirements any longer

• Like 1

Ok my answer is to refuse to personalize it as you have done. I dont wish to start defining sedentary. Nor do I wish to get defensive about your interpretation of what is insulting.

For whatever reason, you have taken this personally. You might want to examine why.

Ok my answer is to refuse to personalize it as you have done. I dont wish to start defining sedentary. Nor do I wish to get defensive about your interpretation of what is insulting.

For whatever reason, you have taken this personally. You might want to examine why.

I don't need to examine why...but you insinuation is clear

I'm not taking this personally you are by posting that your friends do not live up to your expectations on a cruise and you seem to question what you call a sedentary lifestyle whereas they might just consider it a relaxing lifestyle

Not everyone needs to hike or run 5 miles a day and just because they don't do that doesn't make them sedentary

Hate to tell you this but how others live..from an active or inactive standpoint..is not your concern nor should you try to force your beliefs/opinions on those people

Just to be clear had you just said that your friends and yourself have differing views of cruising so that's why you are looking to meet others would have been sufficient...but...you harped on their in your opinion "sedentary" lifestyle and at the same time praised your active lifestyle for your age

That's great you are active but to expect others to be the same way and then berate them when they are not is what is most telling about your posts

nancyshaw.....just a question.....since you and your husband seem to have many interests and strong preferences to keep you busy/happy on a cruise, why do you need another couple to keep you company? You'll probably have more fun on your own.

I would suggest you two start traveling without other people.

nancyshaw.....just a question.....since you and your husband seem to have many interests and strong preferences to keep you busy/happy on a cruise, why do you need another couple to keep you company? You'll probably have more fun on your own.

I would suggest you two start traveling without other people.

Thats also very good advice.

Bravo [emoji106]

My wife and I also recommend Azamara. We have done two cruises with them and have two more booked. You should also check out river cruises. If you really want active cruises, try Celebrity Galapagos or Hurtiigruten Antarctica. We have done both and enjoyed them.:)

• 4 weeks later...
I see there is a huge response to this. LoL

didnt think there would be but thought I would give it a try...we made no effort to meet others on many cruises for many years , since we traveled with our friends.. they are limited in the kinds of activities they will do....guess I thought this would improve over the years but it hasnt....

best way to meet, will be to travel on our own and meet others who will have similar tastes and interests as we do....

We are a bit young (early/mid 50s) and active couples can be scarce.

On our last sailing we noted a lot of older folks with health issues (they like to talk about them)

Sailing our first TA because we wanted to try it... hoping there will be fun folks onboard

We are a bit young (early/mid 50s) and active couples can be scarce.

On our last sailing we noted a lot of older folks with health issues (they like to talk about them)

Sailing our first TA because we wanted to try it... hoping there will be fun folks onboard

Yes you are right many older folks DO just talk about their constant visits to doctors or their conditions. But I would like to think that many dont. I think you will meet up with all kinds of active people . When you travel by yourselves and are willing to join others for meals and activities, you will definitely meet others with similar interests as we hope to.

Yes you are right many older folks DO just talk about their constant visits to doctors or their conditions. But I would like to think that many dont.

I'm mid-60's and don't tell others about my health and don't want to hear about anyone else's health either. To be honest, when someone starts talking ailments/health/doctors, I try to change the subject. It gets difficult, though, when people find out I'm a nurse.....they seem to think that I want to discuss their illnesses, but I don't. ;)

I'm mid-60's and don't tell others about my health and don't want to hear about anyone else's health either. To be honest, when someone starts talking ailments/health/doctors, I try to change the subject. It gets difficult, though, when people find out I'm a nurse.....they seem to think that I want to discuss their illnesses, but I don't. ;)

Oh yes, I hear you. Will try your tactic of changing the subject.