Disembarking from a UK port which is not the last port

westcliffo

We plan to do the Crown Princess transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton next April, 2019. We are Canadians and would like to disembark in Portland, UK the night before we get to Southampton.

Can we do this?

Thank you.

We have sailed with many who have departed early without problems. The only question I wonder about and Princess can answer this, is the availability of customs and immigration at Portland where you prefer to debark.

We have sailed with many who have departed early without problems. The only question I wonder about and Princess can answer this, is the availability of customs and immigration at Portland where you prefer to debark.

This was my thought - Portland is a tiny place and highly unlikely to have the immigration and customs facilities required. JMO

You will have probably cleared immigration by this stage anyway, UK immigration usually come on board prior to your arrival in the UK. You need to ask Princess rot a route deviation notice. There is now way any passenger will be allowed to land in Portland unless cleared by immigration so this will take place for everyone before hand.

How do the customs and immigration requirements for passengers who are not re-embarking differ from those for passengers who are re-embarking?

There is a Portland in the UK?

I think there is:

www.portland-port.co.uk

Do Princess deal with immigration on the move like Cunard do with UK customs and immigration officers on board? Do they clear customs at the first UK port of call, Portland or do they wait until Southampton?

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Just have your TA request a deviation in writing. Princess takes awhile to approve or deny it - like 5-7 business days - so try to be patient. Without their written approval, you cannot do it. If they approve you to disembark early, they will most likely reduce your automatic gratuities and possibly issue you a new booking number with a revised itinerary. This is what was done for us on a cruise that included the UK last year.

The OP will likely be processed through immigration in Ponta Delgada.

Yes, named after Portland, Maine... :rolleyes:

Portland was the first Dorset entry in the 1086 survey following the compilation of the Domesday Book. It was previously occupied in neolithic times and later by the Romans.

Are you saying that Native Americans thought up the name in a period before 1086?

In my experience a lot of people are named after their father or mother and none are named after their son or daughter.

Lol John

Edited by john watson

Leaving early is more common than you think. Most cruise lines charge an early exit fee.

Princess does charge a fee for this.

Since you still pay the cruise fare for the entire voyage, the cruise company in effect does get paid for the days you were not on the voyage.

I’ve left a cruise early, pre approved by Princess. The cruise cost the same price but no charge from Princess for the approval. Interesting my cruise history shows it as a 11 day cruise and not a 14 as it was originally sold

We had a cruise from the US ( FLL to Seattle stopping in Los Angelas ( San Pedro ) with option to disembark in San Pedro however they decided to cancel the San Pedro stop and continue to Seattle making it a 17 day cruise. We thought great, we can get off in Los Angeles and drive home but flew home from Seattle instead.

Princess does charge a fee for this.

Since you still pay the cruise fare for the entire voyage, the cruise company in effect does get paid for the days you were not on the voyage.

Oops.

I meant to say Princess does not charge a fee for this.