I scored

cherryharley

you "scored" an upsell, and hopefully didn't screw yourself out of any perks from your original booking...well, did you?:evilsmile:

I know you are referring to the current thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2625091 but I am not sure the OP does. At any rate, one of the most recent posters copied the official Princess response on their Facebook page about whether you lose your original perks when taking an upsell:

Princess Cruises

Hi, Holly. This information is incorrect. When a guest accepts an upsell offer, the amenities of their original promotion remain the same.

I've never cruised Princess ... yet. Scheduled to in Oct. this year on Ruby. Why is a balcony upgrade for $800 a good deal?

I assume the $800 covers 2 people. Right now on my next cruise, even the lowest balcony price is $550/person more than the lowest inside. So $800 would save $300. The premium balcony is $1100/person more than what we paid for our inside. So that is a savings of $1400 for 2 people. It looks like the OP's cruise is priced the same as ours. So a huge savings.

I scored a premium balcony upgrade from an interior for less than $800 total on our Coral Princess Northbound Alaska cruise May 23rd! Can you say STOKED? :D:D

Nice upsell offer. There is hope that I may receive an upsell offer too on our NB Alaskan cruise, which is a few weeks after yours. We booked an OV and even now it is nearly $800 per person for us to upgrade to a balcony ourselves, so I'll wait and see if we get that email soon. Happy for you and enjoy your balcony!!!

you "scored" an upsell, and hopefully didn't screw yourself out of any perks from your original booking...well, did you?:evilsmile:

Yes, it was an upsell but if I were booking the same cabin from scratch I'd be paying $1400 more than I did by booking an inside and then moving up to to the premium balcony. And my original perk was obc that I still have. The funniest thing is that I'd picked out this particular cabin over a year ago and then decided I couldn't afford it. When the rep called me back and offered one right down the hall, I asked about the cabin I originally wanted and it was available! I'm happy!!!!

It is a good deal because they got the cabin they wanted for significantly less money than it would have cost to book it originally.

Princess is happy because they got $800 more from a booked guest for a cabin that wasn't selling and they have a low end cabin available that might attract a last minute booking. They are very good at knowing how to maximize income from each cruise.

I know you are referring to the current thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2625091 but I am not sure the OP does. At any rate, one of the most recent posters copied the official Princess response on their Facebook page about whether you lose your original perks when taking an upsell:

Princess Cruises

Hi, Holly. This information is incorrect. When a guest accepts an upsell offer, the amenities of their original promotion remain the same.

You are correct. I did not see this thread but I was assured (and have checked my account) that I still have my obc and prepaid gratuities. The 3rd perk was a free cabin upgrade which is moot at this point.

I assume the $800 covers 2 people. Right now on my next cruise, even the lowest balcony price is $550/person more than the lowest inside. So $800 would save $300. The premium balcony is $1100/person more than what we paid for our inside. So that is a savings of $1400 for 2 people. It looks like the OP's cruise is priced the same as ours. So a huge savings.

Well we both are using the same calculator. ;p

I just posted in response to someone else that my upsell saved me $1400. (yes it was $389 pp).

Nice upsell offer. There is hope that I may receive an upsell offer too on our NB Alaskan cruise, which is a few weeks after yours. We booked an OV and even now it is nearly $800 per person for us to upgrade to a balcony ourselves, so I'll wait and see if we get that email soon. Happy for you and enjoy your balcony!!!

Hope you get it too!

What is the difference between Premium Balcony and a regular Balcony cabin? Is it square footage and location?

I'm asking because I upgraded from an Inside Cabin to a Balcony for $95.00 total as a single cruiser. That's why I wanted to understand the ins & outs of upsells and upgrades, etc.

What is the difference between Premium Balcony and a regular Balcony cabin? Is it square footage and location?

I'm asking because I upgraded from an Inside Cabin to a Balcony for $95.00 total as a single cruiser. That's why I wanted to understand the ins & outs of upsells and upgrades, etc.

You nailed it--location and size of the balcony. And the $95 upsell was a great deal!

You nailed it--location and size of the balcony. And the $95 upsell was a great deal!

I should say mine is only a 5 day cruise. I don't know how long the OP's cruise is. Thanks for the info. & kudos.

My balcony is where I want it to be, but I know it's a location most would not want to be. It's very far forward on deck 12. I have no problems with sea/motion sickness.

I should say mine is only a 5 day cruise. I don't know how long the OP's cruise is. Thanks for the info. & kudos.

My balcony is where I want it to be, but I know it's a location most would not want to be. It's very far forward on deck 12. I have no problems with sea/motion sickness.

Great deal on a cabin you wanted. I wanted Caribe mid-forward so deck, location, and sq ft all played into the cost.