How long for round-trip drive Whittier to Seward with time for stops?

Alaska0799

We're taking our first b2b cruises Vancouver-Whittier-Vancouver, starting July 11. Will have a very long day in Whittier on the 18th before the SB cruise leaves that evening. We've cruised Blackstone Bay and done the glacier cruise in previous years. Would love to rent car in Whittier and take the scenic drive to Seward. Wondering if we can do that comfortably with plenty of time for stops before we board the Island Princess that evening.

All input and suggestions will be appreciated!

There are certainly some nice scenic parts between Whittier and Seward although nothing like Whittier to Anchorage along Turnagain Arm. The train between Whittier and Seward travels through the Placer Valley and past Spencer Glacier and Grandview Glacier although from the road you don’t see them. If you’re driving to Seward just for the scenery along the way, it might not be worth it. Since you’re planning to head to Seward you might check a wildlife day cruise while you’re there, if it fits your schedule.

It is definitely doable, but don’t cut it too close. As others mentioned above, traffic, accidents, construction, tunnel access, etc. can all cause delays.

Does the cruise line offer any excursions that day that go to Seward? I don’t normally do ship excursions, but this would be one I would consider due to the potential delays.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The AVIS office is open 8-8, so your earliest departure will be the 9am tunnel opening.

And with your ship departing at 8:30pm, you will probably feel more comfortable catching the 5:30pm tunnel opening when you return. (you still have the 6:30opening if you run into problems on the road).

Given that it's a 2 hr drive to Seward, that leaves you enough time for a leisurely drive.

But are you going to Seward because you haven't been there before? If you just want scenery and some sightseeing there's enough to see and do within an hour of Whittier, without driving all the way to Seward. The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, Alyeska Resort & tram, Potters Marsh boardwalk for bird viewing, Portage Lake/Glacier, Windy point to look for dall sheep, gold panning, or a 3 mile RT hike to Byron Glacier to play in the snow .......

Suggested stopping points in this link http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

First, be aware that it is over $100 to rent a car for the day from Whittier. Other than that, I would second the suggestions of sticking closer to Whittier and heading north towards Anchorage rather than south to Seward. If there is an accident, the road closes.....sometimes for hours. I always feel insecure going off on my own from Whittier because of the chance of missing the ship( between the tunnel and the possibility of an accident). At least if you are north of Whittier and the road is closed, all the other passengers will be stuck as well and the ship will wait. If you are off in Seward and get stuck, the ship leaves without you. I have spent a lot of time in Whittier and there is actually quite a bit to do there. One of the best seafood restaurants in Alaska is the Swiftwater Café down by the ferry dock. The 26 Glacier cruise and cruise to Blackstone Bay are also very worthwhile with beautiful up-close glaciers and sea otters and seals hauled out on the ice.

Finally, Whittier was founded in the 1940's by the military looking for a "secret base" they could use to bring in supplies for the Alaska highway construction in case the Japanese bombed Seward. They built the tunnel and the town. Why is it secret? Because it is covered in clouds around 350 days of the year. You can get a "Whittier car wash" at least once a week. That's when the rain is pouring down and the wind is blowing hard. You park your car with one side into the wind and come out an hour later and park it with the other side into the wind. Car is as clean as if you ran it through the car wash.... If it's bad in Whittier it's probably going to be bad driving down to Seward. You might want to play it by ear on your day of arrival.

Thanks to all for the very helpful input. Think we'll play it safe and stay in port this time! It's fun to walk around the harbor and watch anglers bring in their catch. Sounds like we need to check out the Swiftwater Café, too! We've enjoyed the Blackstone and 26 Glaciers sightseeing cruises in the past. May see if any of the water taxi services have an short trip planned, just to take a look around!