New at Princess - some questions

LindsayC

Unless being connected is a 'must'. I suggest skipping it. While we get a handful of free minutes from status, the connection on Princess is VERY slow.

For those used to instant gratification, it can be a tedious affair trying to get online and wait for pages to load. If one 'needs' to get on for an important reason, by all means, buy an overpriced package. If simply wanting to browse or keep up on social media...I recommend bringing a device ashore and find a place that offers free/public wi-fi....Or, do all of your email composing offline, and then log-in to send it.

That's good advice. On a cruise on the Star Princess, we were advised that the best way to find free Wi-Fi when going ashore is to follow the crew! They also have to pay for slow internet on the ship, so they know where the best spot at every stop is.

That's good advice. On a cruise on the Star Princess, we were advised that the best way to find free Wi-Fi when going ashore is to follow the crew! They also have to pay for slow internet on the ship, so they know where the best spot at every stop is.

Or ask the crew in advance--we find that the room stewards and dining servers typically have good recommendations. You can also look on line in advance to locate places with free wifi connections at the ports you'll be visiting. On our recent cruise we noticed that many shops were handing out flyers near the port which now offered "free wifi" in addition to their various ads.

Most ports have multiple locations with wifi either free or included with the cost of a beverage. And of course if you have a US phone plan and are visiting a US port, your phone will work (verify with your carrier; ours covers all states and US territories).

We were on the Caribbean Princess April 1-11. I found the dining room to be comfortable, and I'm one of those "always cold" people. But as others suggested, take a sweater or light weight wrap just to be safe.

Or ask the crew in advance--we find that the room stewards and dining servers typically have good recommendations. You can also look on line in advance to locate places with free wifi connections at the ports you'll be visiting. On our recent cruise we noticed that many shops were handing out flyers near the port which now offered "free wifi" in addition to their various ads.

Most ports have multiple locations with wifi either free or included with the cost of a beverage. And of course if you have a US phone plan and are visiting a US port' date=' your phone will work (verify with your carrier; ours covers all states and US territories).

We were on the Caribbean Princess April 1-11. I found the dining room to be comfortable, and I'm one of those "always cold" people. But as others suggested, take a sweater or light weight wrap just to be safe.[/quote']

As you well know the days of free Wi-Fi are becoming few & far between, without a purchase of some sort.

Following the crew is still the best bet and they're not to hard to find at any port. ;)

We were on the Caribbean Princess April 1-11. I found the dining room to be comfortable' date=' and I'm one of those "always cold" people. But as others suggested, take a sweater or light weight wrap just to be safe.[/quote']

Also, the ship's interiors are purposely kept cool to inhibit the spread of viruses. And, if you get to the showroom early, it is often quite cold to allow for the increase in temperature when the room fills up for the evening performance.

Also, the ship's interiors are purposely kept cool to inhibit the spread of viruses. And, if you get to the showroom early, it is often quite cold to allow for the increase in temperature when the room fills up for the evening performance.

That I can accept since it's almost impossible to cool down once filled

BUT

when they play a movie at 1 PM in the afternoon there's no reason to have it like a refrigerator with only a few dozen people scatter through the lounge.

As you well know the days of free Wi-Fi are becoming few & far between, without a purchase of some sort.

Following the crew is still the best bet and they're not to hard to find at any port. ;)

In my experience, this depends on the port. There are places that offer free wifi--totally free. There are many others that offer wifi for an unlimited length of time in exchange for the purchase of a beverage. A couple dollars for a diet coke in exchange for an hour or more of wifi is a good deal in my mind.

The only difference between "following the crew" and doing a little research in advance (on line or by talking to the crew) is that I know where I'm going and don't have to hope that I see some crew members heading to wifi locations.