Choosing a cabin on Nieuw Statendam...bed near door or near balcony?

surgie

How do you know when choosing a cabin (balcony or Vista suite) whether the bed will be near the cabin door (which I prefer) or near balcony door? Is the layout for Nieuw Statendam the same as Koningsdam?

I would expect NS cabins to be the same as K except possibly for minor details. In the Vistas the bed is nearer the balcony than the hall door, and the reverse in Verandahs.

Diagrams and photos at https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=ships_suites_staterooms

Edited by catl331

It takes a bit of effort and, maybe, some knowledge of the furniture arrangement within the stateroom, but studying the deck plan and the photos provided of staterooms, it is possible to determine the location of the beds and sofas in the room in relation to the veranda as well as to the closest/bathroom location. At least, this has been my experience for all of the previous Classes' of HAL ships. Having not sailed on a Pinnacle Class ship--and having chosen a stateroom that I believe will meet my expectations as to furniture location on the Nieuw Statendam--I will find out.

I was surprised to see the bed by the sliding glass door on HALs new ships, and apparently, if you want to watch the tele or catch a football match in privacy you have to be sitting in bed now. ALL the LARGE flat panel TVs are across from the bed, above the sofa in the signature suites. Poor design choice.

I was surprised to see the bed by the sliding glass door on HALs new ships, and apparently, if you want to watch the tele or catch a football match in privacy you have to be sitting in bed now. ALL the LARGE flat panel TVs are across from the bed, above the sofa in the signature suites. Poor design choice.

I have read that others have the same opinion of this arrangement. Even the photos in the brochures of these cabins show that viewing the TV from other than sitting on the bed would be awkward at best. What were the designers thinking? Or were they thinking?

• 2 weeks later...