Solstice Live: Australia/NZ/Hawaii, Many Pix’s, Jan. 20-Feb. 3

TLCOhio

Whew! Spent the weekend catching up with this thread. Somehow had missed it. Australia & New Zealand have always been on my bucket list. Just wasn’t sure about land-only vacation vs cruise. Terry, your informative review and fabulous pictures have convinced me. Solstice cruise it is! :cool:

Hi, Mary Beth!! Great to hear from a "neighbor" in nearby Dublin. We live in Clintonville in northern Columbus. Appreciate your nice comments and this follow-up. Happy to provide any and all additional background to help in your planning. Because your options are so many "down under" and with the long distance to get there, it requires some serious advance planning. Let me know your e-mail and I would be happy to follow-up personally, if that is of benefit. Don't be shy with your questions and info needs.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 228,927 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Hi Terry. Thanks so much for your offer to help. My trip will be several years down the road. Retiring next October. Will pretty much be paying double since I travel solo. Hope correctly did the contact thing. New to me.

Appreciate this follow-up from our "neighbor" in Dublin. Yes, Mary Beth, you have time. Assume that you are aiming for early 2019, right? There are options from some cruise lines offering lower solo pricing. On being able to connect, if you can list a safe e-mail here, I can then follow-up to you and be able to connect directly by phone, etc. Don't want to list here personal information. If you list an e-mail, space it out such as XXX.XXX at XXX dot XXX, etc. Look forward to offering any helpful insights. So many options to consider for both Australia and New Zealand.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 54,681 views for these postings.

Hi again Terry

You will find me at masha 924 at gmail dot com

Probably looking at 2020 since I’m considering moving to South Florida once I retire. That will keep me busy awhile. And I’ll have a better handle on my retirement income and cruise budget.

Thanks!

Hi again Terry. You will find me at masha 924 at gmail dot com Probably looking at 2020 since I’m considering moving to South Florida once I retire. That will keep me busy awhile. And I’ll have a better handle on my retirement income and cruise budget. Thanks!

Appreciate, Mary Beth, your added follow-up and that we have connected via e-mail. Given our upcoming trip to SE Asia later this month and your target date for 2020, we can hook-up more in our northern Columbus area in March.

For you and others, budget can always be challenging for doing Australia and New Zealand to the "MAX". Right now, the value/rate for their currencies down under is fairly decent and better than it was five or so years ago. Right now, it is 1 AUD = 0.78618 USD. When we were there four years ago, it was around 90 cents for an Aussie dollar. BUT, earlier, it had been up to one Aussie dollar costing about $1.11.

In doing planning for these areas and the "best" options, it sometimes cost more in order to make your "logistics" better and more efficient. Some great places, such as Kangaroo Island, are not "cheap". If you want the ideal, most enjoyable way to experience these types of unique locations, it will cost more. But probably be worth it. Wish it could be all done on only $100 a day. BUT, that does not always happen, especially for the "stars" in this great part of the world.

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

From the CNN cable news in late December, they had this headline: best places to visit in 2018with these highlights regarding Perth: Oft overlooked in favor of Sydney and Melbourne, Perth seems to have finally hit its stride. For starters, the coastal city is better connected than ever, gearing up to welcome the first direct flight linking Australia to Europe next year. New developments and hotels are popping up all over town. Among the fresh faces is the ultra-cool Aloft Perth. The city's building on its lively night market and dense restaurant scene -- now offering more eateries per capita than both Sydney and Melbourne.

Lots of details and ideas are offered in this profile. They also noted: "Don't miss: The artsy port town of Fremantle is where Australia's Little Creatures Brewing got its start. "

When we go back to Australia, we need to have some time for doing Perth and these western areas. Sounds like great fun and very interesting. But, in two weeks, we will be doing our first visit to Southeast Asia. This will feature Hong Kong, Bangkok, Vietnam and Cambodia, including a seven-day Mekong River cruise, then Angkor Wat, Hanoi, Halong Bay and Hue/Danang. We will be gone a little over one month for this latest “adventure”. Then for late November, 2018, looking to do an Athens to Dubai, 20-day cruise with Oceania, including our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc. Other great locations to visit before we can get back to Australia and New Zealand.

Full CNN story at:

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/places-to-visit-2018/index.html

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,467 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

From the Boston Globe travel section this morning, they have this headline: Eight top travel destinations for 2018 nice highlights for this Australia attraction near Sydney.

Here are some key details and their reporting: In a country with so many natural wonders, it’s easy to forget about the Blue Mountians and the sprawling Jamison Valley in New South Wales. The blue haze that often sits over the valley inspired the name. About two hours north of Sydney, the area is popular with hikers, rock climbers, and mountain bikers. But you can also enjoy the region without breaking a sweat by taking a ride on the Katoomba Scenic Railway, which is the steepest funicular railway in the world, according to the Guinness World Records. You can get a better look at the valley and its flora and fauna on the Scenic Skyway, a glass-bottom aerial cable car. There are plenty of scenic walks to enjoy the rain forests and the rock formation known as the Three Sisters.

When we visited Australia for the first time, we did not have the opportunity to do these Blue Mountains area. BUT, it seems very nice, attractive, interesting and a good priority to consider for when we are able to go back down under.

Full story at:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/travel/2018/01/04/start-planning-here-are-top-travel-destinations-for/ZnKSaL61tnX23aCpYr64GO/story.html?et_rid=470029886&s_campaign=todaysheadl ines:newsletter

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

TLC Ohio. Which tour companies did you use for Milford Sound when you disembarked ship? Also did you take Dunedin Railway Gorge Trip? We are going in Solstice and usually book private tours. Oh and yes an Ohioan! Thx. Sue, a Merrytimers!

Appreciate, Sue, this wonderful follow-up and these good questions. Where in Ohio do you live? On that Milford Sound disembarkation, it was a ship's tour that we had. When getting off of such ships in the middle of Milford Sound, it pretty much can only be done through the ship's arrangements. No private tour options would be possible as the "logistics" for getting off of the ship at that location is not like a normal docking in an established port.

We did not take take the Dunedin Railway Gorge Trip as we were finishing our two-day, overnight excursion to Queenstown. Can't do both!! Later, we did have a fun rail "adventure" in going to Arthur's Pass National Park via a scenic rail experience, etc. That was done as a ship's tour while we were tendered at Akaroa, New Zealand.

More questions? Info needs? Happy to share more, answer other inquiries, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 221,659 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the New York Times Travel Section coming this Sunday, they have this headline: “52 Places to Go in 2018” with these highlights for this part of Australia: Australia’s remote Top End — the northernmost hunk of the Northern Territory — is experiencing an uptick of tourism to its aboriginal communities, the world’s oldest civilizations, according to 2017 DNA analysis. The 2017 Darwin Aboriginal Art Fair saw record crowds, while new camps, tours, and indigenous partnerships are afoot in 2018. Venture North known for exclusive access tours to Aboriginal Homelands of Kakadu National Park and Arnhem Land, expands with a second camp dedicated to visitors seeking cultural experiences and indigenous rock art, while Aboriginal-owned Pudakul Tours opens a six-room camp perched on a crocodile-filled billabong. The region’s small cities — Darwin, Palmerston, Katherine — are seeing new markets and indigenous centers, giving visitors hubs to appreciate the vast region’s diverse cultures.

This area sounds great and we would hope to visit there in the future. Lots of wonderful options for Australia. Just need more money and time. In a little over a week, we will be doing our first visit to Southeast Asia. This will feature Hong Kong, Bangkok, Vietnam and Cambodia, including a seven-day Mekong River cruise, then Angkor Wat, Hanoi, Halong Bay and Hue/Danang. We will be gone a little over one month for this latest “adventure”.

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/travel/places-to-visit.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ft ravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region =rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPla cement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

Now at 54,800 views for these postings.

From the New York Times Travel Section coming this Sunday, they have this headline: “52 Places to Go in 2018” with attention and highlights also regarding Tasmania: Long known for its oysters and sparkling wines, Australia’s southernmost state is now garnering attention for its booming culinary scene, too. The rising star chef David Moyle helped lead the way in 2015 by opening the seafood-focused Franklin in a restored 1920s Ford automobile showroom, now one of Australia’s top-rated restaurants. Other newcomers include Dier Makr, a restaurant showcasing local Tasmanian ingredients run by two Melbourne transplants, and the Agrarian Kitchen Eatery & Store, another farm-to-table venture that's given new life to a heritage property connected with Tasmania's darker penal colony days — a 19th-century former mental asylum."

As detailed earlier in my live/blog, we super enjoyed our one day in visiting here and for soaking up its many great sights and nature examples.

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/travel/places-to-visit.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ft ravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region =rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPla cement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 229,170 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From the New York Times Travel Section coming this Sunday, with this headline:“52 Places to Go in 2018”, this top newspaper also highlighted a key part of New Zealand that we enjoyed in 2014. It is Rotorua on NZ's North Island.

Here are their cited highlights: Sulfurous geysers and mineral-rich hot springs scent Rotorua, New Zealand’s North Island hub of Maori culture. Celebrating the city’s geothermal blessings, the first annual Mudtopia Festival, featuring mud games and massages, launched in December. Nature is again animated in Rotorua’s Whakarewarewa Forest where the Redwood Treewalk, an elevated trail of 21 suspension bridges amid a redwood grove, introduced the Redwoods Nightlights. Thirty dramatic lighting installations from the designer David Trubridge romance the majestic trees after dark."

As detailed earlier in my live/blog, we super enjoyed our one day in visiting here and for soaking up its many great sights and nature examples.

Full story at:

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• 5 weeks later...
Hi Terry: Could you please give me the name of tour company you used for Hobart - Port Arthur Penal System - many thanks, Doreen

Appreciate, Doreen, your good question. For . . . .

Tasmania: Worked with Judy Livingston of Eye See Personalised Tours, e-mail to eyesee@netspace.net.au, to design a custom schedule that worked for our group to the historic Port Arthur prison site and Bonorong Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary. Plus, a wonderful lunch, etc. For this popular wildlife area, you can see more at: www.bonorong.com.au.

Judy’s website is: www.eyeseetasmania.com.au

For future reference, on page 29, post #569, you will you find a complete listing of all sources/guides/hotels, etc., that we used. Plus, on that same page at post #571, you will find a complete index of this live/blog that can be helpful in searching for specific aspects of this reporting, options used/visited, etc.

Happy to share more and answer any questions, info needs, etc.

Now at 55,125 views for these postings.

Hello Terry,

Thanks for all your time spent sharing so much fantastic information and wonderful photos. Amazing to think that 4 years after you started this thread you are still helping so many people who are arranging their own trips, (including us who are so looking forward to our Solstice cruise to Australia and New Zealand in Dec 2018). Thank you.

Tracy

Hello Terry, Thanks for all your time spent sharing so much fantastic information and wonderful photos. Amazing to think that 4 years after you started this thread you are still helping so many people who are arranging their own trips, (including us who are so looking forward to our Solstice cruise to Australia and New Zealand in Dec 2018). Thank you. Tracy

Appreciate Tracy's very nice comments and this kind follow-up. Let us know any other questions or info needs as you prepare for your upcoming adventure in this great part of the world. Happy to share more!! Don't be shy.

We are now in Hong Kong, getting ready to return from our first visit to Southeast Asia. See below the link for that live/blog. Plus, below are just six sample visuals for this trip. That is only a small fraction of what we saw, did and experienced.

Bangkok/Mekong River, etc.? Am completing a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Lots of night action in Hong Kong!! First, is one of the views of the Hong Kong Harbor and their amazing lights. Second is in the nearby Aberdeen port where we enjoyed a sampan ride. We saw a mix of floating fishing villages, luxury boats, high-rises, etc.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

CMZ_9388%202_zpsutv4f2wj.jpg

CMZ_9301%203_zps0yjsw4ua.jpg

From Bangkok, here is a unique welcoming looks we received at one of their temples. He's serious!!:

CMZ_9704%2013_zpsc18jxuni.jpg

From Ho Chi Minh City's Rex Hotel roof-top location, here is a view of their City Hall and other nearby buildings. Notice the French-influenced architecture in Vietnam's largest city?:

CMY_0148%206_zpsencwyvdx.jpg

After we started sailed on our Avalon Waterways river boat from a dock in Ho Chi Minh City, we had a great sunset as we traveled along the hand-dug canal that connected us for the 18 miles between the Saigon and Mekong Rivers. This straight-line canal was built during the Khmer Empire period hundreds of years ago. Lots of activity, houses, people, activities, etc., along this fascinating route. The Mekong itself is an amazing route with so much much life and stories.:

CMY_0470%202_zpsrcqko3kt.jpg

As we sailed along the Mekong River, we had the chance to walk through many different and very busy/active markets. For this one lady shown below, it could be billed as "Yes, we have bananas!!" These are only six quick samples. Many, many more pictures and details on the full live/blog.:CMY_1102%203_zps0q0vwgum.jpg

Thanks for the great information. Looking forward to the Bridge climb before our transpacific Solstice cruise. Loved all of your pics!

Appreciate from Linda and Steve in wonderful Arizona for making this kind follow-up and such nice comments. Good luck with your upcoming Sydney Bridge Climb. If handy, after doing your trip, drop by here and report on your experiences, what you loved most, any key added tips, etc., etc. Would enjoy this added feed-back from your experiences, to share with others, etc.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

Now at 37,025 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Hello". Your updates are so helpful! Two things.

1. Did you take the cruise ship tour on the Tranzalpine Train?

2. Hobart. Did you go to Wineglass Bay? Port Arthur?

Thank you

Appreciate these two very good follow-up questions related to NZ and Tasmania. Yes, we did take the ship's tour for the Tranz Alpine train and jet-boat excursion. Why? Akaroa was our tender port with Christchurch’s re-building being so slow. Just checked this morning and for December 2018, Celebrity is using Akaroa. Not sure when and if Christchurch will be back open. Akaroa is scenic, but small with limited options there and challenging access limitations. Like it or not, by using the ship's excursions, you do not have to worry about the timing getting back from your tour.

Akaroa's distance/location limits private tour options from there. Sorry! With what we did, to do the Tranz Alpine Express to the heart of the Southern Alps/Arthur’s Pass National Park, plus the exciting jet-boat, it takes time. That jet-boat ride on the scenic Waimakiriri River was totally amazing. Loved it!!!

For Tasmania, we did not do Wineglass Bay, but, YES, we did and enjoyed Port Arthur. We worked with Judy Livingston of Eye See Personalised Tours, e-mail to eyesee@netspace.net.au, to design a custom schedule that worked for our group to the historic Port Arthur prison site and Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary. Plus, a wonderful lunch, etc. For this popular wildlife area, you can see more at: www.bonorong.com.au.

Judy’s website is: www.eyeseetasmania.com.au

Any other questions or areas where I can be helpful. Happy to share more. Keep it coming!!

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

From the New York Times Travel Section coming this Sunday morning, they will have this headline: 36 Hours in Auckland with these highlights: The New Zealand city is laid-back and outdoorsy, but its sophistication shines in its expanding art scene, thriving fashion industry and a new generation of chefs embracing native ingredients.

As detailed in my live/blog, we really enjoyed our time in Auckland. Fun, interesting city with great food and sights. This NY Times profile also shared: "The construction cranes that pierce the Auckland skyline are a visual indication of the growth New Zealand’s largest city is experiencing. Close to one-third of New Zealand’s estimated 4.5 million population lives in Auckland, a geographically blessed — and traffic-cursed — city spread over at least 50 volcanic cones on a North Island neck of land between two large harbors."

If planning a visit to Auckland, I would check out this article. Lots of options to consider for NZ's largest city. Lots of nice pictures are used in this profile. Brings back nice memories!!

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/section/travel?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&region=TopBar&module=HPMiniNav&contentCollection=Travel&WT.nav=page

Now at 55,346 views for these postings.

• 1 month later...

Appreciate all of those who have dropped by for this live/blog, made comments and provided follow-ups. This posting is now over 200,000 views!! So glad to have shared. Don't be shy!! Happy to answer any additional questions,

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 224,315 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 3 weeks later...

From the London/UK Guardian earlier this year, they had this headline: A local’s guide to Sydney with this sub-head: "Ringed by national parks and blessed with more than 100 beaches, the best bits of Sydney are outdoors, active and (mostly) free."

Here is more of their profile highlights: “ 'The best things about Sydney are free,” resident Russell Crowe has said. It is arguably the top metropolis on the planet for soaking up the scenery, but Sydneysiders don’t take these God-given gifts for granted. When they’re not out in the surf, swimming laps in an ocean pool, or sailing around the harbour, locals are barbecuing, picnicking, or finding other ways to enjoy the subtropical setting.

Lots of ideas and options, plus many pictures are in this story. Here is their comments on an area that we enjoyed visiting: "The Rocks precinct is a tourist attraction for good reason. The cobblestone laneways and sandstone buildings of Sydney’s oldest neighbourhood offer a glimpse into the lives of convicts, publicans, sailors and wharf labourers. Locals stick to the pubs, such as the Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel, built in the 1830s from convict-quarried sandstone. But for the best panoramas this side of the harbour, take the elevator to the Henry Deane rooftop bar in the reimagined Hotel Palisade and toast to the Harbour Bridge and the peak of Sydney Opera House shimmering back at you."

Nice story that brings back wonderful memories from visiting charming and scenic Sydney.

Full story at:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/jan/22/locals-guide-to-sydney-bondi-beach-coogee-cockatoo-island-manly

Now at 38,525 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Edited by TLCOhio

From the London/UK Guardian article earlier this year, here are a couple of the cute and fun pictures that were a part of their profile on Sydney and nearby.

Full story at:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/jan/22/locals-guide-to-sydney-bondi-beach-coogee-cockatoo-island-manly

Now at 56,057 views for these postings.

From Bondi Beach in Sydney, here is an example of one picture contained in this UK Guardian newspaper profile of this fun Australia city. Isn't this a great visual? Second is one of their story visuals of the Blue Mountains near Sydney.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-06%20at%2010.07.30%20AM_zpsr7gb0m2z.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-06%20at%2010.14.16%20AM_zpsnnlsu2fl.png