Removed From a Ship

DanceDuo

Based on CC and news story’s it appears that being denied boarding is much more common than being removed from the ship. And generally when it happens it is within the guidelines/laws even though the person involved doesn’t think so.

Ie; see the story of the pregnant woman on Disney who thought that a doctor’s note would over ride their policy

See the story on norwegian of the elderly couple who checked their bags with their passports in them so they didn’t have the proper documentation to board

There was a cc post on carnival awhile back about someone with an enhanced DL denied boarding for not having proper ID (though people pointed out that the state that person lives in doesn’t issue enhanced DLs)

And have seen various posts about people denied boarding for medical reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ultimately, the Captain has ultimate authority, and he will usually listen to the advice of his medical officer.

you were not unjustly refused re boarding after being disembarked. they have the right to deny you and they really don't need a reason why. this is why you need trip insurance.

Based on CC and news story’s it appears that being denied boarding is much more common than being removed from the ship. And generally when it happens it is within the guidelines/laws even though the person involved doesn’t think so.

Ie; see the story of the pregnant woman on Disney who thought that a doctor’s note would over ride their policy

See the story on norwegian of the elderly couple who checked their bags with their passports in them so they didn’t have the proper documentation to board

There was a cc post on carnival awhile back about someone with an enhanced DL denied boarding for not having proper ID (though people pointed out that the state that person lives in doesn’t issue enhanced DLs)

And have seen various posts about people denied boarding for medical reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would agree that this (denied boarding) is more common than being removed from the ship although generally it is due to the passenger's failure of some sort. It may have been due to behaviour or attitude but is mainly due to the person's health and /or documentation. Where as with being removed is more of the former along with medical emergencies.

That is customer service.

When we had to leave the ship early due to a medical emergency, the port agent took care of getting us legally entered into the country and the necessary visa we needed to remain and also to depart after the medical emergency was resolved.

The port agent helped us locate a hotel and arrange transportation.

Has anyone been removed from a ship where they felt it was unjustified?

You should also be aware of something called the cruise contract that all pax agree to. You should easily find it on any cruise line web site. Other than crimes and medical they can site safety reasons and boot you.

One thing that I’ve heard causing passenger’s being kicked off, is failure and/or refusal (for whatever reason), to participate in the lifeboat drill...as a matter of fact, that is the International maritime law...

One thing that I’ve heard causing passenger’s being kicked off, is failure and/or refusal (for whatever reason), to participate in the lifeboat drill...as a matter of fact, that is the International maritime law...

Yes, it becomes a safety issue and even a security issue.

I think that the OP needs to contact the line and issue a demand for reimbursement of expenses and monetary compensation on the basis that the line acted abominably in this case. They have a duty of care to their passengers that they breached. Of course they have the right to put people of the ship, but they also have the duty to ensure those people are taken care of and not left in a strange place with little or no help.

Of course they have the right to put people of the ship, but they also have the duty to ensure those people are taken care of and not left in a strange place with little or no help.

The Celebrity ticket contract absolves the cruise line of such duty:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/Celebrity-Cruise-Ticket-Contract.pdf (excerpt from Sec. 8, emphasis mine):

e. Carrier may also change accommodations, alter or cancel any activities of, deny service of alcohol to, confine to a stateroom or quarantine, search the stateroom, property or baggage of any Passenger, change a Passenger’s Land Tour, disembark or refuse to embark the Passenger and/or any Passenger responsible for any minor Passenger, or restrain any Passenger at any time, without liability, at the risk and expense of the Passenger, when in the sole opinion of Carrier or Captainthe Passenger’s conduct or presence, or that of any minor for whom the Passenger is responsible,is believed to present a possible danger, security risk or be detrimental to himself or the health,welfare, comfort or enjoyment of others, or is in violation of any provision of this Agreement.

[...]

k. If Carrier exercises its rights under this Section 8, Passenger shall have no claim against Carrier whatsoever and Carrier shall have no liability for refund, compensation loss or damages of Passenger, including but not limited to any expenses incurred by Passenger for accommodations or repatriation.

...They have a duty of care to their passengers that they breached.,,, they also have the duty to ensure those people are taken care of,,,

I suggest the OP, you and all others take 15 minutes to read the cruise contract you must agree to on any cruise. For the safety of yourself or the rest of pax and crew ANYONE can be put off the ship for any number of safety issues at TOTAL EXPENSE TO THAT PARTY. Ship's doctors are famous for not wanting to risk anyone on board with more than a cold. In this case OP mentioned something like NORO. The OP was putting the health of entire ship in jeopardy IN THE EYES OF THE DOCTOR. end of story.

I think that the OP needs to contact the line and issue a demand for reimbursement of expenses and monetary compensation on the basis that the line acted abominably in this case. They have a duty of care to their passengers that they breached. Of course they have the right to put people of the ship, but they also have the duty to ensure those people are taken care of and not left in a strange place with little or no help.

NO ! . The passenger and the line entered into a contract which most certainly does not call for any such broad

"... duty to ensure...".

You want a firsthand story? OK but mine is merely being unjustifiably threatened with removal:

In one port (of the unnamed itinerary of this unnamed ship on an unnamed cruise line) there was a ship's excursion to various Jewish Heritage sites. Both the excursion manager (who was from Austria) and one of their staff made their displeasure with offering this tour known with several subtle but distinctly anti-Semitic gestures. I put in a request to meet personally with said excursion manager. Who forward the request to the purser's desk. I was subsequently called into a meeting attended by the Hotel Manager and the Passenger Services Manager demanding I retract and apologize for reporting what I had experienced--which had to be false as "everyone on this ship treats everyone the same" period--or else I would be referred to the Captain with their request that I be removed at the next port.

And what did you do?

To be clear, you were not removed from the ship for an unjustified reason. You were medically evacuated for proper medical treatment that the ship could not adequately provide. It would seem that your complaint is that you were unjustifiably denied boarding. In this case, it is up to the judgement of the medical officer (and ultimately the Captain.). His reason may have had nothing to do with you spreading contagion among your fellow passengers, and everything to do with the risk of you relapsing or developing complications and requiring yet another medical evacuation. I doubt that you were abandoned. Every port has a port agent to assist passengers.

When it comes to Port Agents, the amount of assistance one gets is hit and miss. And we have some recent experience having left a cruise 3 days ago due to a medical evacuation situation (all is now fine). We personally experienced the best one could expect from any port agent....and a few days later (at a different port) had little help other then some advice (which was marginally adequate). Since we had an ongoing medical situation which eventually led to us leaving a cruise we had time to build a relationship with the ship's physician and medical staff and see things from their perspective. In our case, leaving the ship was a mutual decision (between the physician and ourselves). Cruise ship physicians have a tough job and are aware of the impact their decisions have on passengers. From their perspective they must consider the patient's condition, itinerary (sea days increase the risk because of potential delays getting to a hospital), and what is best for the entire ship (not just one individual).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner