Disembark - Enough Time?

mindy2

It's ALWAYS faster, in any port! Even with 'zones' for luggage to be collected from, unless you have the last piece of luggage left in one you still need to spot yours. Plus, the self-disembarkation groups get allowed off before the 'need help with bags' groups so you're even further ahead of the game.

In theory you need to be at YVR by 9:15am (assume it is a domestic flight back to Alberta?), though just one hour early is usually enough for domestic flights. You have much more padding than the US-bound pax, but I'd still minimise risks by self-disembarking - if you're not familiar with SkyTrain and want to take a cab, being among the first batch of folks off also cuts cab wait time by potentially a very long time (e.g. 3 ship days, cab waits can go over an hour easily).

If we arrive in Vancouver at 7:30 a.m. is it faster to disembark if you carry off your own luggage? Our departure flight was just changed to 11:15 a.m. and I'm a bit worried about the time.

Where is your flight to? If it is direct the US, you have a fair amount to worry about. I would be carrying off my bags in the earliest possible group, grabbing a cab, and doing a little praying. I would also have told the airline the change was unacceptable, and had alternative workable substitutes.

If this is a domestic flight within Canada, your worry level is considerably less. But i would stay carry off bags early as possible, and grab a cab.

Or get the airport transfer thru the ship and they will handle your luggage...

Really? So I can put my suitcase outside my cabin door night before departing ship and it will be put on ship transport bus taking me to airport?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Really? So I can put my suitcase outside my cabin door night before departing ship and it will be put on ship transport bus taking me to airport?

I have done so on Princess several times. It goes on a truck to the airport and is waiting for you in the check in area. I have had flights as early as 11am. Check with your ship to make sure they will be able to do so though.

Otherwise I would get off with my luggage as soon as possible and get a taxi. The taxi lines get really long when two or three ships are docked. Depending on where you’re docked, it can be quite a hike thru the terminal.

If the airline changed your flight time, you might be able to get them to rebook you on a later flight. However, if you’re flying to the east coast, a later flight might not get you home that night....

Vancouver can really back up on cruise ship days. Even with a domestic flight- I would ONLY consider self walk off, and then just walking yourself over to the Sky train. Will be the most efficient, time wise to get to the airport.

And so what if you end up being early- all the better. A lot worse, if you are late. :)

If disembarking on a Wednesday from the Coral Princess, could I make a UA flight to the US that leaves at 10:35am? If not, then the next flight is DL at 3:10pm. I have not bought one way tickets yet, and I hate hanging around airports all day.

Or perhaps I can spend one night in Vancouver and fly home Thursday when no cruise ships will be disembarking and I can more easily get a decent fare and leave when I want.

If disembarking on a Wednesday from the Coral Princess, could I make a UA flight to the US that leaves at 10:35am? If not, then the next flight is DL at 3:10pm. I have not bought one way tickets yet, and I hate hanging around airports all day.

Or perhaps I can spend one night in Vancouver and fly home Thursday when no cruise ships will be disembarking and I can more easily get a decent fare and leave when I want.

You can if you get off the ship as early as they will let you (7'ish) with your luggage, get a taxi before anyone else is in line, and get to the airport. You should easily be able to make it by 9am. I doubt there are any days in the summer that cruise ships are not coming into Vancouver. See what you can get for a price and add $200 on for room and meals and see how you come out.

I can’t confirm that HAL has this service in Vancouver, but I have used it on Carnival and Royal Caribbean in Florida. You place your bags outside your room the night before departure and the next time you see them is at your final destination luggage carousel. There is an additional fee ( $ 20-25 per person) and the cruise line provides your boarding passes and luggage tags before you leave the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Check the Port schedule to see how many other ships are docked that day. There might be 2000 people joining you at the airport or 80,000.

The rule of thumb is to arrive 3 hrs prior for an int'l flight. That means you need to be off the ship at 7am, 1/2 hr ride to the airport to arrive at 7:30. Even if it's a light day and you can arrive at 8:30, why risk it ? Seems like a stressful way to end a vacation.

If you take the 3pm flight you can check your luggage with CDS Baggage at the pier. Better yet, ask if they still do luggage transfer to YVR ... used to be $40 for 3 or 4 bags. That would give you a few hrs to explore a little and not have to worry about collecting your luggage.... just hop on the skytrain to the airport.

Or get the airport transfer thru the ship and they will handle your luggage...

Absolutely...the worst idea. OP needs to carry off luggage and take a taxi to YVR. Not sure what it is about this airport but it seems to always be slow moving...and you need to give yourself as much time as possible.

Even if luggage valet was available (and I don't think it is) the OP's early flight more than likely wouldn't qualify.

I would see if the airline will change your flight, I have done with when flight schedule changes just do not work. Let them know why it does not work.

I agree, I would call the airline and tell them your flight was changed by them and it doesn’t work for you timing wise. They should work with you to help get a better departure time. Most times Vancouver security lines are very long at the airport

No, you can't. Not with any reasonable degree of safety, and without truck loads of stress. That is why the earliest international flight is very commonly recommended at noon.

Fly the next day.

I agree with CruiserBruce. A 10:35am US flight from Vancouver means you should be at the airport at the latest 8:30am. You have to go through check in, security and US Customs before boarding. Not worth the stress of trying to be the first off the ship. Stay in town for a night and get a little more vacation in if you can!

I will also be disembarking on a Wednesday and I know there are 3 ships in town when I'm disembarking (thankfully I'm not flying anywhere after).

I always aim for noon. I would spend the night in Vancouver - enjoy the city.