Overlord Tour

Ecuador

They have no problem charging separate cards, as our group was booking separately for the tour.

If they will do that for a group arranged on a Roll Call, that would be a terrific solution. I'm finding that more and more tour operators are doing that when they want payment up front. I think they realize that one among "strangers" really can't front all of a tour that way.

I would encourage early booking with Overlord; they are relatively small and they do book up.

Another suggestion for those visiting the D-Day sites. Watch, or re-watch, "The Longest Day." Yes, it's a cheezy film by today's standards, but the history is spot on and you'll really appreciate your visit even more. (And just about every great male actor of the early 1960s is in it!) We had a good laugh when our Overlord guide asked us early on in the tour whether we'd seen this film!

Yes the more information you learn the better your visit will be. Follow the red balls!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

During D Day the Allies put up signs with a red ball on them so they would not get lost and troops would have a visual reference to know they were on the right road. Signs are still there today.

During D Day the Allies put up signs with a red ball on them so they would not get lost and troops would have a visual reference to know they were on the right road. Signs are still there today.

You guys are so great with all this info! Thank you.

My hubby already suggested the longest day, we sure will watch it before we go :-)

Its going to be a great trip!

Here are a list in no particular order that I have enjoyed in Normandy

Point du Hoc is the place he Americans placed as top priority due to the bunkers were thought to house 155 mm guns with a range of over 25,000 yards. The Rangers had a tough time taking the bunkers which are still there today. Lt Col Rudder led the Rangers up the cliffs to the bunkers to only find the Germans had no yet installed the guns. The cliff was just above Omaha Beach.

American Cemetery

Pegasus Bridge was the first attack by the British on D day in the early morning hours. They needed to secure the bridge to prevent the Germans from bringing more equipment and troops toward Normandy. The British troops were towed over the channel in a wooden glider

Here are a list in no particular order that I have enjoyed in Normandy

Point du Hoc is the place he Americans placed as top priority due to the bunkers were thought to house 155 mm guns with a range of over 25,000 yards. The Rangers had a tough time taking the bunkers which are still there today. Lt Col Rudder led the Rangers up the cliffs to the bunkers to only find the Germans had no yet installed the guns. The cliff was just above Omaha Beach.

American Cemetery

Pegasus Bridge was the first attack by the British on D day in the early morning hours. They needed to secure the bridge to prevent the Germans from bringing more equipment and troops toward Normandy. The British troops were towed over the channel in a wooden glider

They landed and took over bridge. Make sure you stop by the museum and see the gliders and then walk across the street to see Arlette Gondee the daughter of the original family living in the house now called Pegasus Cafe. She has some great stories to tell as she lived the invasion.

They landed and took over bridge. Make sure you stop by the museum and see the gliders and then walk across the street to see Arlette Gondee the daughter of the original family living in the house now called Pegasus Cafe. She has some great stories to tell as she lived the invasion.

We sure will, sounds like great advice. Thank you!

Amercian Cemetery is truly one of the finest Cemetery’s in the world. The grounds are kept perfect and after you visit it you will now why. Truly a must visit and in case you are rushed the Omaha beach is just below the Cemetery.

St Mere Eglise is the spot were on the evening of June 5th the Americans parachuted into Normandy and John Steele landed on the church. It also the spot were most of all the activities start for the Normandy reunions. I have been there for several of them and even got a ride in C-47 airplane recreating how they made the drop run over D-day.

Also make sure to get over to arromanches were they still have the concrete piers that the allies floated across the ocean to create a place for ships and equipment to be loaded easily.

Amercian Cemetery is truly one of the finest Cemetery’s in the world. The grounds are kept perfect and after you visit it you will now why. Truly a must visit and in case you are rushed the Omaha beach is just below the Cemetery.

St Mere Eglise is the spot were on the evening of June 5th the Americans parachuted into Normandy and John Steele landed on the church. It also the spot were most of all the activities start for the Normandy reunions. I have been there for several of them and even got a ride in C-47 airplane recreating how they made the drop run over D-day.

Also make sure to get over to arromanches were they still have the concrete piers that the allies floated across the ocean to create a place for ships and equipment to be loaded easily.

Oh man, that sounds great. I know we have a list of things my husband really wants to see, which is why we wanted the private tour. Lots of the stuff he wants to see is only on the band of brothers tour, which is not one they offer as a group, but will do it for us if its private. Which is why we're really wanting to go that route.

Pointe du Hoc, the American cemetery, Omaha, The church, Crash of the C47, Drop Zone D – Carentan. None of these are on the group tour... so you can all see why we really have to go with the private tour option. Too many cool things to see!

Oh man, that sounds great. I know we have a list of things my husband really wants to see, which is why we wanted the private tour. Lots of the stuff he wants to see is only on the band of brothers tour, which is not one they offer as a group, but will do it for us if its private. Which is why we're really wanting to go that route.

Pointe du Hoc, the American cemetery, Omaha, The church, Crash of the C47, Drop Zone D – Carentan. None of these are on the group tour... so you can all see why we really have to go with the private tour option. Too many cool things to see!

The private tour is the way to go. Rent a few movies on Normandy and get the book I recommended so you can get the lay of the land and all the things to see. Another thing I forgot to mention was the fine cheese produced in Normandy. I never leave their without taking some cheese home with me, the only bummer is it’s all gone before I get home.

As I said before a must do is Pegasus Bridge. The actual bridge has been replaced with a modern one but the original bridge is now next to the museum. The museum has a wooden glider inside that is quite a marvel to see. The men actually crashed landed in the gliders they called “Horsa Gliders”. They were lots of objects in the way of their landing but most of gliders made it. Usually the floor would be destroyed upon landing and the men would black out from the concussion they experienced only to awake up and get out to take over the bridge

As I said before a must do is Pegasus Bridge. The actual bridge has been replaced with a modern one but the original bridge is now next to the museum. The museum has a wooden glider inside that is quite a marvel to see. The men actually crashed landed in the gliders they called “Horsa Gliders”. They were lots of objects in the way of their landing but most of gliders made it. Usually the floor would be destroyed upon landing and the men would black out from the concussion they experienced only to awake up and get out to take over the bridge

Gliders and cheese. Got it! I love cheese!!!

Do any of you have any cool photos to share of your time in these places?

The American Cemetery. One of the many heroes.

enhance

Omaha beach. When I walked out to the water's edge and turned back to face the beach, and tried to imagine the underwater obstructions, the explosions, and the bullets flying from all directions, I could not even imagine the courage it took to get out of the landing craft and enter the water.

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

The church of Sainte Mère Église, famous because Pvt. John Steele's parachute became snagged on the tower, and Steele hung there for hours during the battle

enhance

An effigy of Pvt. Steele hangs there today

enhance

We bought lunch here -- you can't beat a French baguette and cheese -- and ate on benches in the town square, looking up at the church. Very emotional (as was the entire day).

enhance

There's a small D-Day museum in the town, well worth a visit

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

Looks like Turtles covered things well, here's a few of mine as well...

36461506991_b93cb43eb0.jpg

Gun emplacement by Cindy, on Flickr

This was a little memorial statue we stopped off at on our drive around by Omaha Beach.

36461492551_cb1e314853.jpg

Omaha Beach 116th Regiment statue by Cindy, on Flickr

And yes, the cemetery is such an amazing and solemn place to visit.

35763873904_4fbda96347.jpg

Cross bridge by Cindy, on Flickr

35789853973_3edf4d7f08.jpg

D-Day assault by Cindy, on Flickr

Not sure if you are looking for an alternative, but we used Bayeux Shuttle in 2016 and they were great. I recall looking at them and Overlord and the tour options and pricing were very similar. Not sure if their payment structure has changed as well though but we definitely did not have to pay that much up front. Normandy was a very somber but fantastic day for us!

Not sure if you are looking for an alternative, but we used Bayeux Shuttle in 2016 and they were great. I recall looking at them and Overlord and the tour options and pricing were very similar. Not sure if their payment structure has changed as well though but we definitely did not have to pay that much up front. Normandy was a very somber but fantastic day for us!

Oh thank you I will look into them. Although I hear, Overlord is the peeps to go with.

Thank you all for the photos. Makes my heart sink to even look at them. I showed my hubby, he is looking at them all and then looking at google maps.. wow. So cool to actually see photos from you all. Thank you!

Heard back from Overloard. Nope, only one Credit card allowed... they are very strict... I'm surprised. :(

Oh thank you I will look into them. Although I hear, Overlord is the peeps to go with.

Thank you all for the photos. Makes my heart sink to even look at them. I showed my hubby, he is looking at them all and then looking at google maps.. wow. So cool to actually see photos from you all. Thank you!

Heard back from Overloard. Nope, only one Credit card allowed... they are very strict... I'm surprised. :(

You won’t be disappointed with Overland tours. They have a great amount of knowledge of the Normandy area. My first tour was with Major and Mrs. Holt. I don’t think they do tours anymore. They picked us up in a World War II Jeep witch even added more realism to the tour. They had a tour that we went on that left from England and arrive in Portsmouth. Kinda cool to have re traced that route the Allies used to get to Normandy.

Their is a great museum in Caen and not knowing how much time you have the Abby is a great place to visit and spend a night.

Well, I looked at Bayeux Shuttle in 2016, but we're docked in Cherbourg, so thats not really an option for us after all.

Thank you though for the thought.

You won’t be disappointed with Overland tours. They have a great amount of knowledge of the Normandy area. My first tour was with Major and Mrs. Holt. I don’t think they do tours anymore. They picked us up in a World War II Jeep witch even added more realism to the tour. They had a tour that we went on that left from England and arrive in Portsmouth. Kinda cool to have re traced that route the Allies used to get to Normandy.

Their is a great museum in Caen and not knowing how much time you have the Abby is a great place to visit and spend a night.

We are on a cruise, in town from 7-7 that day. Its a 4 hour round trip drive to and from our boat, so we dont have alot of time, but I'll add the museum to our list of things to look into! Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
How long does it typically take Overlord to reply? Two people in our group have reached out and have not heard back. The first was about a week ago.

Have you tried to call them? I think their phone number is:

+33 (0) 7 89 00 28 41

The hours are 7:30 AM to 10 PM France time. You will not regret taking their tours!

Have you tried Steven Ambrose. I took an anniversary tour that started in London. We spend two days in London visiting Churchill’s war cabinet room and even got to spend time in Litchy Park were the Egnima machine was cracked. We then went to Portsmouth were we boarded a ship to Normandy.