Sapphire Princess

CretaMed88

I’ve been tracking the Sapphire since leaving the Singapore drydock on the way to Southampton. It’s been over 4 years since we last sailed on the Sapphire & eagerly looking forward to sailing the ship to Norway this summer. :D

Me too only I have to wait until next summer 2019.

I hope all the upgrades and changes are good. I have only been on the Caribbean Princess and that was 2009

I have to wait until 2019 too. Darn!

I’ve been tracking the Sapphire since leaving the Singapore drydock on the way to Southampton. It’s been over 4 years since we last sailed on the Sapphire & eagerly looking forward to sailing the ship to Norway this summer. :D

So have we. We sailed a 28 day Hawaii & Tahiti cruise on the Sapphire in 2012 and loved the ship and crew. We too are looking forward to back-to-back sailings on her again this summer to Norway and then to the Med.

Thanks for sharing the video. Like others on here we will have to wait until summer 2019 before boarding the Sapphire for the first time. It has several differences from the Princess ships we have been on so far. Thus we will be adding a new adventure.

We're sailing on the Sapphire in two weeks' time. Is there a reason people are interested in this particular ship? Just curious. Thanks.

Maybe because it's been a long time since it has cruised anywhere but asia.

We're sailing on the Sapphire in two weeks' time. Is there a reason people are interested in this particular ship? Just curious. Thanks.

The Sapphire recently was in dry dock and those of us on future sailings are interested in seeing and hearing about the updates. No one has done a "live" thread since the ship has been out of dry dock. The video posted is hopefully the first of many snapshots providing info on the updates to the ship.

It was also on a multi-year charter for years in Asia. The ship pretty much disappeared for all practical purposes for people here booking cruises. I think it started sailing late last year that was not part of the charter and then it recently went through a dry dock. The ship definitely needed it by those who have sailed since it went off of charter.

We had the Sapphire here on the West coast for a long time and loved sailing on her. Beautiful ship. Has a wonderful Promenade deck for walking. Miss the ship, wish they would bring her back here. This ship and the sister ship The Diamond were the only two Princess ships built in Japan(Nagasaki).

It was also on a multi-year charter for years in Asia. The ship pretty much disappeared for all practical purposes for people here booking cruises. I think it started sailing late last year that was not part of the charter and then it recently went through a dry dock. The ship definitely needed it by those who have sailed since it went off of charter.

Very interesting, thank you. Doesn't 'dry dock' generally relate to the ship's exterior and general maintenance? If so, your last sentence doesn't make it sound too appealing for our upcoming trip. I live in hope - and will know for sure two weeks from today :)

Very interesting, thank you. Doesn't 'dry dock' generally relate to the ship's exterior and general maintenance? If so, your last sentence doesn't make it sound too appealing for our upcoming trip. I live in hope - and will know for sure two weeks from today :)

I have a friend who sailed on the ship at Christmas and said it was very beat up but he saw improvements just in the time that he was on the ship.

I have seen pictures of the ship during dry dock and it was really impressive! She looks like a brand new ship inside now. From the pictures - it appeared that most (if not all) of the surfaces were replaced! Even the tacky blue and orange hallway carpet that we have depended on for years and liked it due to the opposite colors on both sides are now a classy tan and black design. It really did look extensive inside. Tile work was done, green around the pool area was done, they did a ton. New mattresses, new televisions. So while they did a ton of work on maintenance, they did not neglect the inside by any means! I think you will be impressed.

Please report back when you return! I leave in 2 months.

The pictures I have seen show a lot of tile work done (restrooms, pools, etc...), all new green carpet on the pool decks, all new carpet in the hallways on the decks (classy tan with black as opposed to blue and orange), new carpet in the dining rooms, wired for ***** (but not active), new beds, new tvs, new LED light walk installed on the stage in Club Fusion, theatre also has light wall. Honestly, it would not surprise me if every surface was replaced by what I saw. It looks brand new inside!