Dissapointing upsell offer?

bigwally

It probably was the "narrow minded" accusation which prompted some of the responses that you are now criticizing.

I called it like it appears to be - unless the CL is desperate for cabins in a particular category, these offers appear to be only a bump to the next higher one. And, yes, I think that's narrow minded when a customer is willing to pay the price for a bump higher than that. And I don't give a monkey's hind end if anyone feels differently. ;p

I called it like it appears to be - unless the CL is desperate for cabins in a particular category, these offers appear to be only a bump to the next higher one. And, yes, I think that's narrow minded when a customer is willing to pay the price for a bump higher than that. And I don't give a monkey's hind end if anyone feels differently. ;p

Two thoughts...

• Were you sure there were open cabins two bumps up?

• "Hmmm... Should we make 1 customer happy or 2?"

Two thoughts...

• Were you sure there were open cabins two bumps up?

• "Hmmm... Should we make 1 customer happy or 2?"

Easier making a happy customer happy than one that is already grumpy with an attitude. My choice would be take the course of least resistance.

It'd be really nice if some posters quit taking shots at other posters who are simply talking about the upsell offers they have received. NOWHERE did I see ANYONE say they are counting on GETTING an upsell in order to sail the category they WANTED but didn't book.

From what I have read, the comments have been about the upsell offer price, NOT about the cabin category the posters picked initially.

I completely agree with the comments about some of the upsell prices. When HAL wants me to pay 110% more than I've already paid, to move up one category, that seems not-great.

As for the advice to "pick the cabin you want and pay the price", we pick gtys in a sub-category that we are happy with. The possibility of an upsell doesn't enter our decision-making. But we do consider upsells when they are offered.

So please, since this board is about cruising, let people talk about cruising -- which (sometimes) includes upsells.

Some People, posters do not always directly and clearly state what they mean but the implication is often, quite clear. We don't have to shout it out for the message to be delivered. some people 'thiink' they are being subtle BUT .... There are some posts, the trend of which is repeatedled and repeated wherepeople THInK their obvious message is far more ambiguous than it truly is. :) Often it is just 'easier ' to let it go.

Edited by sail7seas

I've never had an upsell offer! Is this usual? I have cruised on a number of lines and this time is my first with HAL. We have a Guarantee Veranda VF (only option available for me when I booked) and I will be happy with any balcony cabin. The first cruise I went on was the only cruise where I was upgraded - from inside to outside. I have asked to be moved on two occasions. Once due to bad weather and sickness (top back location) to be nearer family (inside to inside mid ship) and once due to a noisy cabin. Outside to balcony - which I guess was a second upgrade although at the time I was ready to fly home rather than have another sleepless night. On the whole I have been happy with the cabins booked or allocated although would love to hear the words upsell offer.

I've been on a lot of cruises and never had an upsell offer. MANY years ago we got upgraded on a few Cunard cruises, but not lately. Never had an upsell or upgrade offer on HAL. Once or twice, when there's been a big price reduction, I have asked to pay the small difference to upgrade to a better cabin, but that was initiated by me, not HAL.

I book what I want and don't expect to get anything more. Not expecting to get something for nothing means I won't be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

I've been on a lot of cruises and never had an upsell offer. MANY years ago we got upgraded on a few Cunard cruises, but not lately. Never had an upsell or upgrade offer on HAL. Once or twice, when there's been a big price reduction, I have asked to pay the small difference to upgrade to a better cabin, but that was initiated by me, not HAL.

I book what I want and don't expect to get anything more. Not expecting to get something for nothing means I won't be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

I have a vague memory of once being offered an upsell to PS........... from Neptune or category "S" as they were then called.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally I get an upsell offer of $600pp on a Vista Suite, which I'm going to pass on because I think it's too much. However, if it gets a bit sweeter...maybe, so long as they catch us before we leave for Japan on Friday.

Best way to not be annoyed by getting 'crappy upsell offers', as they have been described here is to mark your booking "no upgrade.'

They still will send you the upsell offers - I get them on almost every cruise, even though I always mark my cabin as Do Not Upgrade.

Best way to not be annoyed by getting 'crappy upsell offers', as they have been described here is to mark your booking "no upgrade.'

Good thought, EXCEPT that upsell offers and upgrade offers are two distinct and entirely different matters - "opting" out of upgrades will have no effect on HAL making upsell offers, as DaveOKC points out above.

They still will send you the upsell offers - I get them on almost every cruise, even though I always mark my cabin as Do Not Upgrade.

Sure, you'll still receive 'upsell' offers as they come up which you can consider and accept or decline, but with a 'Do Not Upgrade' caveat on your booking, they won't automatically 'upgrade' you to a cabin that they think is an upgrade, where you may think it is not.

There is a distinct difference between 'upsell' and automatic 'upgrade'.

Good thought, EXCEPT that upsell offers and upgrade offers are two distinct and entirely different matters - "opting" out of upgrades will have no effect on HAL making upsell offers, as DaveOKC points out above.

Yes. :)

I've never had an upsell offer! Is this usual? I have cruised on a number of lines and this time is my first with HAL. We have a Guarantee Veranda VF (only option available for me when I booked) and I will be happy with any balcony cabin. The first cruise I went on was the only cruise where I was upgraded - from inside to outside. I have asked to be moved on two occasions. Once due to bad weather and sickness (top back location) to be nearer family (inside to inside mid ship) and once due to a noisy cabin. Outside to balcony - which I guess was a second upgrade although at the time I was ready to fly home rather than have another sleepless night. On the whole I have been happy with the cabins booked or allocated although would love to hear the words upsell offer.

The only up sell offer I have ever had was the first time I ever sailed on NCL. Went from an inside cabin to a balcony for $99 total for two people! I have cruised with Celebrity once and RCCL quite a few times and never an upgrade offer. The NCL was the only time I ever booked directly with the cruise line rather than using a T/A so I wonder if booking direct helps your chances?

I actually got an upsell offer on my first ever cruise -- HAL's 14-day Alaska r/trip from Seattle last September. I travel solo and had examined my budget, weighed the options, and booked a Neptune for a variety of reasons in a specific location that would work well for me.

The upsell offer: to a Pinnacle, for $5,600. For a 14-day trip. On top of what I'd already paid for a Neptune. Uh ... no. I didn't book a Pinnacle in the first place because a) I don't need THAT much space, and b) cost. None of that had changed. I was perfectly happy with my Neptune directly across the hall from the aft elevator lobby. Never expected to get an upsell offer, so I was a little surprised. I booked what I wanted at a price that worked for me.

And I LOVED the experience! My first ever cruise and I now have 5 more cruises booked, 2 on the HAL, 1 Regent Seven Seas, 1 Oceania, and 1 Cunard. Yeah, I guess I'm hooked.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

I actually got an upsell offer on my first ever cruise -- HAL's 14-day Alaska r/trip from Seattle last September. I travel solo and had examined my budget, weighed the options, and booked a Neptune for a variety of reasons in a specific location that would work well for me.

The upsell offer: to a Pinnacle, for $5,600. For a 14-day trip. On top of what I'd already paid for a Neptune. Uh ... no. I didn't book a Pinnacle in the first place because a) I don't need THAT much space, and b) cost. None of that had changed. I was perfectly happy with my Neptune directly across the hall from the aft elevator lobby. Never expected to get an upsell offer, so I was a little surprised. I booked what I wanted at a price that worked for me.

And I LOVED the experience! My first ever cruise and I now have 5 more cruises booked, 2 on the HAL, 1 Regent Seven Seas, 1 Oceania, and 1 Cunard. Yeah, I guess I'm hooked.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Great post... thanks!