Is Celebrity's Food inedible?

The Constellation after it came out of dry dock last year changed the free burgers on the pool deck to pay as go Gourmet burgers with the old style free burgers available in the Buffet. The plan was a complete flop and within a couple of months free burgers were back on the pool deck.

There is a large variety of different foods available both free and chargeable. Some passengers will only go where there is a charge whilst others only go where its free. There are also many different varieties of food on offer with most nights especially in the buffet have themed dinners whilst the standard fare is always available.

What does impress me is that the cruise line seems to cater very well for those with some form of eating disorder, Gluten , free, Lactose intolerant Coelic disease to name a few. Whilst some effort must be nade to ensure that these needs are catered for reports are that once resolved a great cruise food wise is had by those involved. Cruise ships and Celebrity is no exception cater for the very rich to those who have saved for years for their one off experience and all those in between. All in my opinion are well catered for just as are those in the MDR who are happy on a table of eight to those wanting a table for two. IN nearly all cases an individual's wants and needs are met on most occasions. Sometimes the greater majority just has to prevail or those who have paid more get the icing first.

Ok this make sense to me now where you see it from the cruise line's point of view. At least they tried and they have to take into account the majority of passengers on board and what's working. We're feeling loyal to Royal right now so at least we're in the same company.

I only see one relevant reason to post to a thread of this nature. It's to let other new cruisers know that it is only one opinion speaking. I'm fairly new to cruising and have three Celebrity cruises under my belt. The poor meals I've had on Celebrity have been breakfast which I thought was the one meal that was impossible to screw up. The MDR food is usually very good and the service fair to excellent. It's great that they have exotic food such as escargot and frog legs. However, if I want comfort food then I just glance to the other side of the menu and get steak and potatoes. The hamburgers at the Mast grill are very good with a cold beer! Need something sweet then Cafe Al Bacio is a must!! I'm a fairly simple eater but have been exposed to many different cultures to include their food (Asian, European, Middle Eastern) and find Celebrity has very good food. Some, but maybe not all negative posters will always look for something to complain about whether it be the food, the stains they found on some furniture or worn carpet in their bedroom. Thankfully, the Western culture offers us so many options to choose from.

I only see one relevant reason to post to a thread of this nature. It's to let other new cruisers know that it is only one opinion speaking. I'm fairly new to cruising and have three Celebrity cruises under my belt. The poor meals I've had on Celebrity have been breakfast which I thought was the one meal that was impossible to screw up. The MDR food is usually very good and the service fair to excellent. It's great that they have exotic food such as escargot and frog legs. However, if I want comfort food then I just glance to the other side of the menu and get steak and potatoes. The hamburgers at the Mast grill are very good with a cold beer! Need something sweet then Cafe Al Bacio is a must!! I'm a fairly simple eater but have been exposed to many different cultures to include their food (Asian, European, Middle Eastern) and find Celebrity has very good food. Some, but maybe not all negative posters will always look for something to complain about whether it be the food, the stains they found on some furniture or worn carpet in their bedroom. Thankfully, the Western culture offers us so many options to choose from.

It's not just that passengers are exposed to different cultures but many passenger are from different cultures. The beauty of cruising particularly the big global brands, is that the passenger mix is international. Add to that the crew that, you also have the dynamic of the ship reflecting a wide range of cultures from around the world. Comfort food in the USA may be meat and potatoes, but there are many cultures it will be something completely different.

I watched a recent programme on Netflix which looked at the galley operations of an RCI ship. One of the segments was on the crew restaurants and the fact that meals have to be prepared that reflect the crews needs. Watching it I felt it was a pity that some of these meals could not be made available in the OVC. On my first sailing on Celebrity, there was a crew party to celebrate the independence of a country of origin for a significant number of the crew. A feast was planned. Learning this, I begged and begged to have some of this food as it reflected by own background. Eventually I got this meal and it was authentic and really delicious. It was just such a shame that other passengers did not get to eat this because many would have enjoyed it.

Edited by Yorkshire-Pudding
changed word crew to ship

It's not just that passengers are exposed to different cultures but many passenger are from different cultures. The beauty of cruising particularly the big global brands, is that the passenger mix is international. Add to that the crew that, you also have the dynamic of the ship reflecting a wide range of cultures from around the world. Comfort food in the USA may be meat and potatoes, but there are many cultures it will be something completely different.

I watched a recent programme on Netflix which looked at the galley operations of an RCI ship. One of the segments was on the crew restaurants and the fact that meals have to be prepared that reflect the crews needs. Watching it I felt it was a pity that some of these meals could not be made available in the OVC. On my first sailing on Celebrity, there was a crew party to celebrate the independence of a country of origin for a significant number of the crew. A feast was planned. Learning this, I begged and begged to have some of this food as it reflected by own background. Eventually I got this meal and it was authentic and really delicious. It was just such a shame that other passengers did not get to eat this because many would have enjoyed it.

You are absolutely correct with regard to different cultures and what they consider comfort food. I was responding to the OP who made reference to US comfort food. And yes, I love traveling in an international environment not only for my wife and I but so our teenage daughter can be exposed to other cultures.

We're long time Princess cruisers trying Celebrity and our recent dining experiences on Celebrity haven't been great. Many meals were horrible to look at and worse to taste. I actually lost weight on a cruise! However, the attitude of the Celebrity waiters, the service from them and the someliers is outstanding compared to Princess. And I probably needed to lose a few pound anyway!

There are around 70 different nationalities that make up the crew of an average S class ship. That's a lot of different cultures and dietry requirements. If one speaks with crew members and one's stateroom attendant is a good place, some nationalities and cultures are better off than some others in the crew mess. This is particularly apparent when speaking with these same crew members who manage to get ashore. They generally have two priorities. WIFI and a meal. Many of us just don't appreciate how lucky we are.

You are absolutely correct with regard to different cultures and what they consider comfort food. I was responding to the OP who made reference to US comfort food. And yes, I love traveling in an international environment not only for my wife and I but so our teenage daughter can be exposed to other cultures.
I liked what you said. My DH comes from meat and potatoes, I from a culture where rice not potatoes are the staples at most meals. Let's just say that in the 32 years we have been together, we have mixed it up so a meal reflects elements from each culture. Variety is the spice of life. I just wish Celebrity would celebrate the crews culture a bit more as people tend to be proud of where they come from.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

I don't take the OP serious when making statements using broad phrases as 'inedible' vs a specific dish they may have felt to their dislike or even many dishes.

As to closing the thread, I think anyone not wanting to participate or thinking the thread a waste of time should not participate vs promoting the closing of a thread that is not doing any harm other than maybe wasting their time. I skip many threads when I think it is non relevant or of no interest to me, NOT censorship.

If anyone is thinking that the OP's concerns about food on X have any basis as factual, may I point out a few things:

1. The OP has NEVER sailed on Celebrity.

2. The OP has posted on many other boards questioning the food and kinda insulting those cruise lines, particularly the costs (Princess, Crystal, and others). Never sailed on any of those, either. That is my definition of trolling.

3. She/he has stated that they will not pay more than $500 a week for a cruise - and there is NOTHING wrong with that. But it does limit their choices.

4. Has admitted that his/her demands for dining are cuisines that can be easily obtained at home and some people consider those choices pedestrian, or fast food. And there's NOTHING wrong with that. But it does mean that they are unlikely to enjoy a cruise on celebrity (or several other cruise lines. )

5. OP is absolutely entitled to their opinion. But I've always believed that the product actually has to be sampled before developing a valid, factual opinion.

And I wish the OP understood that trolling is annoying and frowned upon on this and Every internet forum.

If anyone is thinking that the OP's concerns about food on X have any basis as factual, may I point out a few things:

2. The OP has posted on many other boards questioning the food and kinda insulting those cruise lines, particularly the costs (Princess, Crystal, and others). Never sailed on any of those, either. That is my definition of trolling.

3. She/he has stated that they will not pay more than $500 a week for a cruise - and there is NOTHING wrong with that. But it does limit their choices.

4. Has admitted that his/her demands for dining are cuisines that can be easily obtained at home and some people consider those choices pedestrian, or fast food. And there's NOTHING wrong with that. But it does mean that they are unlikely to enjoy a cruise on celebrity (or several other cruise lines. )

5. OP is absolutely entitled to their opinion. But I've always believed that the product actually has to be sampled before developing a valid, factual opinion.

And I wish the OP understood that trolling is annoying and frowned upon on this and Every internet forum.

I missed the point of the OP not prepared to pay more than $500 ( $675NZ). Hope he/she enjoys travelling by kayak in their local lake. That said if someone can tell me where I can get a cruise for under $NZ100 per day which is all inclusive (meals, accommodation and entertainment) then please let me know because I will book it

Wow!

We tried Oasis of the Seas last year and were impressed with RCCL over Carnival. Not everything but overall. Lots of peeps complaining about changes in the food but we never went hungry. We missed the comedy club - The Alchemy Bar - The Lido Deck food options. Royal Caribbean won at everything else.

So I'm not allow to check details on the other cruise lines and follow recommendations I heard on board? I get it, we're low class which is annoying and frowned upon. MSC has caught my interest I'll see if they can be more civil.

Edited by Doug & Cindy Scrap Hunter

I missed the point of the OP not prepared to pay more than $500 ( $675NZ). Hope he/she enjoys travelling by kayak in their local lake. That said if someone can tell me where I can get a cruise for under $NZ100 per day which is all inclusive (meals, accommodation and entertainment) then please let me know because I will book it

$500 as a basic cruise fare, yes we try to get the max out of our vacations without breaking the bank. I wouldn't ask about Celebrity if I didn't look into this before. It's not the nouveau riche cruise line some of you people seem to think it is. That's Crystal.

We are beach bums and the sand and ships are just as nice when it's cheap as when it is expensive. Look at the Summit cruise ship at the end of October and it's well below $500.

$500 as a basic cruise fare, yes we try to get the max out of our vacations without breaking the bank. I wouldn't ask about Celebrity if I didn't look into this before. It's not the nouveau riche cruise line some of you people seem to think it is. That's Crystal.

We are beach bums and the sand and ships are just as nice when it's cheap as when it is expensive. Look at the Summit cruise ship at the end of October and it's well below $500.

Not according to my research but whatever. Have you booked it or are you just a theoretical cruiser?

There are snobs in every forum. You might find you get less snarky replies if you start your threads with less obnoxious/silly titles. If you have a question about something try asking it without the comedic title. People can only see the words you write and have no idea if you are kidding, being serious or trying to be funny. The main difference on Celebrity is it's more "adult" not snobbish. Few kids, fewer games, fewer young adults, fewer drunks etc. (you may find more old cranky people tho;p) If you want to chill it's a great line. You would find plenty to eat, even if you only like old style americana. And no one will care (or know) what cabin you sail in or how much you spent unless you tell them.

Not according to my research but whatever. Have you booked it or are you just a theoretical cruiser?

Maybe things are different down there but here's what I've got on the American site. This is from the cruise line we don't use travel agents. We didn't book just eyeballing, because we're doing Harmony of the Seas this year.

TFLG I hear your points. Maybe down the road when we want something more chillaxed we'll give it a try.

3.thumb.jpg.4f34ba21a96a8e4639173a59982345d2.jpg

I would love to see a Biafran racing snake onboard a cruise ship. Then I might say some food is inedible. If a meal is not right in any of the restaurants don't wait until two weeks after you have left the ship to bellyache about it on a travel blog. There are supervisors until the cows come home in dining rooms, get hold of them, get them to fix the problem and move on. If my steak isn't cooked as I have requested I send it back and if it were to come back not cooked correctly I would again send it back , this time via one of the maître"ds. When I am dining a maître D must walk past me at least a dozen times during my meal and if I signal him/her over with a problem its resolved on the spot. When staff are trying to feed 3000 people in a 3 hour window issues will occur. Its how the issues are resolved which sorts out the wheat from the chaff. If they are unaware of a problem they cant fix it.

Agree--- if you don't let someone know of a problem, it will not be corrected. Your bad

ecific dish they may have felt to their dislike or even many dishes.

As to closing the thread, I think anyone not wanting to participate or thinking the thread a waste of time should not participate vs promoting the closing of a thread that is not doing any harm other than maybe wasting their time. I skip many threads when I think it is non relevant or of no interest to me, NOT censorship.

Thank you. (y)(y)

I see from some of the other post and reviews that Celebrity food isn't what it used to be, so maybe I hit a nerve. If it's still above some of the other lines and to your liking, there's no reason to get defensive or call for censorship. Some folks are just going to move on to what they were used to, and try Oceania or Viking Ocean and the like.

I know.I got hammered on Carnival for trying Royal Caribbean, so I know where Nancy is coming from. Maybe we're all playing leapfrog at different times while these cruise lines make cuts. Some day Oceania will be the new Carnival, and cheerleaders will get upset at those jumping to Crystal - the new mid tier line.

Non of the cruise lines food is as good as it was a decade ago (or more). I could not believe the slop I got on my last NCL cruise after having not sailed with them for nearly a decade. I would still book another one if I got a decent deal. Same with Carnival, there was a noticeable difference in the quality from or previous Carnival cruise. We still booked another one for this June. Yea foods not a good as it was but I guarantee we wont starve!;p

Maybe things are different down there but here's what I've got on the American site. This is from the cruise line we don't use travel agents. We didn't book just eyeballing, because we're doing Harmony of the Seas this year.

TFLG I hear your points. Maybe down the road when we want something more chillaxed we'll give it a try.

[ATTACH]419881[/ATTACH]

But I assume that fare does not include port fees, taxes, and gratuities, like the fares do in Australia and NZ? And then there is the currency difference. A $379 fare like that for a 6 night cruise would rarely be found down under.

We've done two cruises on Celebrity Solstice so far. The MDR food was good but nothing special on the first cruise, not as good as some Princess cruises we'd been on. On the second cruise the food was very good, better than Princess (except for Silk Harvest which was dreadful).

Our next Celebrity cruise is March next year. Will they maintain the same high standard.

My opinion is it’s inedible now. Years ago my opinion was their meals were fantastic. So good, the best meals and the best service I have ever had in any restaurant.

Now the quality has gone from a 10 to a 0. The food and service is some of the worst of any restaurant that I have been to.

When I think of the past I want to book a cruise on Celebrity. When I think of the present of what is offered I will wait hoping some day the quality comes back.

Our first cruise was a 3-day Bahamas cruise on the Carnival Mardi Gras in 1992 not long before Carnival sold the Mardi Gras. The ship was old, but I remember the food being very good. Dinner was 7 courses, including a cheese course with several selections. Our first Celebrity cruise was a 7-day Alaska Inside Passage cruise on the beautiful Mercury. The food was was wonderful and the service was superb.

Yes, I agree that the food is not as good as it used to be, and you can tell that staff cutbacks have had an effect on the service. But, the cost of cruising is less in real dollars today. In 2003, we paid about $849 per person for oceanview rooms. Today, that same cruise on the Infinity in the same category during the same time would be $1749 per person, with 2 perks. We would choose the classic drink package ($385 per person), and the $150 per person onboard credit. That brings the "base" fare down to $1214 per person. When I did a dummy booking, there was an additional $500 discount, bringing the "base" fare down to $964 per person, much less in actual dollars than in 2003. In my opinion, that's a great value.

We can always find something we like to eat, and if we don't like what we order in the MDR, the waiter is always happy to bring us something else. Sometimes I will order 2 or 3 first courses instead of a main course. We usually will go to a specialty restaurant once during a 7-day cruise.

There was a great deal on AQ for our next cruise in January 2019, so we jumped on that. We've sailed in AQ once before (2011) and loved Blu, but I expect that it won't be as good in January as it was in 2011. As many have already said, we manage our expectations, and always manage to have a great time!

We are sailing on the Eclipse right now on a Transatlantic and the food in the buffet and the MDR have all been excellent.

If you have access to Luminae please check with the Maitre d there, and/or the concierge in Michaels Club, and see if they know which ship Rakesh is now on. We hope he's on Eclipse next month for our sailing.

My opinion is it’s inedible now. Years ago my opinion was their meals were fantastic. So good, the best meals and the best service I have ever had in any restaurant.

Now the quality has gone from a 10 to a 0. The food and service is some of the worst of any restaurant that I have been to.

When I think of the past I want to book a cruise on Celebrity. When I think of the present of what is offered I will wait hoping some day the quality comes back.

That said, if you sail again on Celebrity you will take your own food? :D