Damaged luggage?

CS-RN

I ship stored data by airlines and use the Pelican cases which are almost indestructible. They rotate through and so the are only shipped by air once every other week out and the same back. I have to replace these things about once year or so. A few looked like they were dragged along the tarmac instead of riding inside the luggage trailer. Some have major cracks.

K-Swiss is Target Store luggage and Skyway, they a PVC hardside luggage which retails for no higher than $115. I wouldn't say these were top of the line luggage, although they may look nice.

TravelPro and Tumi are sold only through their own Kiosk or high end luggage stores.

You can find some Tumi bags at Nordstorms Rack for decent prices.

I think the best thing to take is a rolling duffle, soft sides means it is less likely to dent, my daughter takes her for weekend trips to visit her boyfriend and loves it.

51068289?wid=1400

We had a piece of soft side luggage ripped open along the edge by baggage handlers on a flight to Puerto Rico. It was not an expensive suitcase and we had several years of use from it. We discussed buying a new bag in San Juan, but instead we went to Walgreens and purchased a roll of duct tape....that indispensable packed item. :D

It was not an attractive fix, but since it was a Panama Canal cruise that disembarked in San Francisco, there was no flight involved at our home port. The suitcase made it onboard and we rolled it off the cruise in one piece, and we just tossed it when we arrived at home. :D

I had never realized the value of duct tape in packing plans until it was needed. :D

CS-RN I hope you have some luck getting help with your luggage.

As a recommendation, we use TravelPro Crew or better for luggage.

A Lifetime Warranty.

Being a former crew member I still use Travel Pro Crew and it has held up pretty good. When I was working it literally got the crap beat out of it. I have a new set that I use since the old one was to beat up. I can't imagine one lasting 30 years. You must have been lucky with the baggage handlers.

Macy's has this Travel Pro on sale, but I have never used the luggage with the spinner wheels. Not sure if they would break off easily. I hear those types of wheels don't hold up as well as the regular ones, but I'm not sure.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/closeout-travelpro-walkabout-3.0-spinner-luggage-created-for-macys?ID=2583219&pla_country=US&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120156340005399833&CAAGID=43986737889&CATCI=pla-380121780666&CATARGETID=120156340018353463&cadevice=c&cm_mmc=Google_Home_Luggage_PLA-_-Luggage_–_Travelpro_–_GS_Travelpro-_-190452371242-_-pg2012162_c_kclickid_d103906d-2823-4953-a275-efcd695da7a4&trackingid=443x2012162&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq5WIjcTK2gIVBbnACh1rVQyREAQYASABEgI6PfD_BwE

Hubby got tired of the wheels having to be replaced on hisTPC so he now uses Strongbags for work. Everything is replaceable on it. I don't like it because it already starts off at over 12 pounds empty!

http://www.strongbags.com/products/bag/vortex-21-flight-crew-luggage-roller.html

"All parts are replaceable with a screwdriver & pliers." This part is nice so you don't have to buy a new bag.

.........TravelPro and Tumi are sold only through their own Kiosk or high end luggage stores.

I have seen Travel Pro at Marshall's. It isn't as exclusive as it was before.

I must have really bad luck. The last two times I have checked bags with an airline, my brand new bags were destroyed. Delta was great about it. A check was in the mailbox when I returned home. Sun Country was a nightmare. It took 6 weeks of constantly contacting them before they paid for my bag. I am going back to carry-on only so carriers cant ruin my stuff!

Just saying, if you want something to last, buy what 90% of the aircrews use.

Yeah, but their stuff is all carry on. :D

No baggage handlers or porters.

Makes a HUGE difference in life span.

And in most cases, the airline specifies the luggage, so everyone has the same thing.

This thread is over a year old, but it got me to remember my last cruise on MJ out of Port Canaveral.

I glanced down from the VCL as we were moving out through the port channel and saw a large purple suitcase floating in the water next to us...trailing an obvious RCI luggage tag. It was already about half way out the channel. :eek:

Would not have wanted to be the owner of that one. :eek: