LIVE from the 2018 HAL Grand World Voyage!

Scrapnana

Praia, Santiago, Cape Verde Islands – April 19, 2018

I was not overly impressed with today’s tour. We were told in advance that the buses might not have a/c or a PA system and ours did not but since it was a cool day and we only had 13 on the bus it was not a problem. What the problem was is that we did not do many of the things on the itinerary.

The EXC description says that the top three reasons to book were:

1.The Santo Domingos village arts and crafts cooperative

2.The Cape Verdean Botanic Gardens in San Jorge dos Oragos

3.The vibrant wholesale market of Assomada

We did not visit any of these. When someone complained the guide told us that the arts and crafts cooperative had been closed for two months, that because of the drought there was nothing to see at the Botanic Gardens, and the road was torn up so we couldn’t get to the wholesale market.

Because of the drought they substituted a visit to Eco Centro (basically a plant nursery with a few animals) for the gardens. Unfortunately, it was at the bottom of a steep cobblestone slope that some of us did not want to chance. Most of those who attempted it said we did not miss anything.

We went to Assomoda for a bathroom stop at a bakery. We did not see anything else in town. The road was torn up but no idea if the market was still there or not.

The only two things that went as advertised was lunch and the visit to the former concentration camp in Tarrafal. The camp was used by the Portuguese for opponents to the fascist regime in Portugal from 1936 through to 1974. It was modeled on the **** concentration camps.

We had lunch in a nice restaurant on the water. The food was good. We were told that there was a market nearby but when we walked there it had only one stall selling souvenirs and nobody was there to take money. We then had an almost 2.5 hour drive back to the ship. Definitely not the best tour ever.

When I got back on the ship I decided to go up to the Lido Deck and get a seat for the sail-away party. The lure of free alcohol had many people with the same idea. It was 4:35 and the place was packed (the party did not start until 5). As I was finding a seat Ed came over and asked me to join them. Ed and Cyndi were seated with John and Margaret (from the dinner table). We had a good time talking, listening to the Station Band, watching people dance, and of course, drinking. I was drinking rum punch but they were very weak.

After the party we all ate dinner in the Lido together.

I did not go to the show.

We gain an hour tonight and we have five days at sea before our final port.

It will be our first wc and I wondered at this point are you excited to be going home

Sent from my iPad using Forums

At Sea – April 20, 2018

For those who have been reading for a while, you could probably write this as well as I. Sea days have fallen into a routine.

Because we are doing a great deal of rocking and rolling I did not go to water aerobics. Juice and roll and off to Sit and Stitch. Only a handful present.

On the way to trivia I stopped by the Future Cruise desk and picked up the itinerary for the 2020 WV.

We had ten correct for trivia but the winning team had 15 out of 17.

1)Who made the first round the world solo flight?

2)In what language was the Communist Manifesto written?

3)What do laser printers, fire escapes and windshield wipers have in common?

4)Who was the first US president to have full time secret service?

5)What is considered the beginning of a genius level IQ?

Back to my cabin to write my note about the problems with yesterday's trivia.

At Arts and Crafts we made a fairy zipper pull.

Before trivia I started a roll call for the 2020 GWV.

Afternoon trivia was much better with 15 out of 17 which tied us for first place.

1)What was the first name of Mr. Guinness who started the Guinness Brewery?

2)Which piece has to be in checkmate to win a game of chess?

3)What is the longest running event in a decathalon?

4)What was the Beach Boys’ maritime folk hit of 1966?

5) Which has the least calories per pint – Guinnes, orange juice, skimmed milk?

Went to Name That Tune and managed 16 out of 20 points by myself. The winning team had 19.

Stephanie and Herb did not show for dinner so there was only the five of us. I had French onion soup, Beef Stroganoff, and ice cream for dessert.

Skipped the show.

Another sea day tomorrow.

Morning trivia…

1)Wylie Post

2)German

3)invented by women

4)Teddy Roosevelt

5)140

Afternoon trivia…

1)Arthur

2)King

3)1500 meter

4)Sloop John B

5)Guinness

Just realized I missed the Caper Verde report.

Sorry that tour didn't go as advertised. JMO -- but I think the tour company should have contatced HAL and told them that several of the stops were not going to be made and ask them if they still wanted to offer the tour. But I guess they just wanted the money.

At Sea – April 21, 2018

I woke up about 8 am and since it was not so rocky today, decided to go to water aerobics. The water was ice cold (I think I mentioned a while back that the heaters in the pool are not working). Picked up my juice and roll before heading back to change for Sit and Stitch. About 10 present.

Today was definitely not our day for trivia. We had nine correct and four teams tied with 12.

1)Who was the first non-human to get an academy award?

2)What fictional type of dinosaur was Dino in The Flintstones?

3)What country was formerly known as East Pakistan?

4)Nike is the goddess of ___.

5)Who was the Greek god of the sun?

Filled in my debarkation form and took it to the office before going to lunch.

In arts and crafts we made a pair of earrings. Nancy suggested we put sparkly clear nail polish on them but Cyndi and I liked ours the way they came.

Had my afternoon ice cream and went to the Queen’s Lounge for the Passenger Talent Show. Unfortunately, I waited too late and it was standing room only. I watched the first act which was a group from the dance classes (including our trivia mates Marilyn and Diana) performing the meringue and then I left.

It was a clear, breezy day with temperatures around 70 so I sat in the sun by the Sea View Pool for an hour and a half. It was lovely.

Afternoon trivia saw us only make 8 points and the winning team had 14 out of 17.

1)Who sang in Phantom of the Opera and was the second wife of Andrew Lloyd Webber?

2)For what does the T.S. in T.S. Elliott stand?

3)What is the largest island in the Mediterranean?

4)Who was on the cover of Time the most – Churchill, Stalin, or FDR?

5)Solve this equation in Roman Numerals. C – LXXIX=?

Not a trivia question but what is the worst part of a world voyage? Packing to go home! I said I was going to start yesterday but I procrastinated and did not. After trivia I pulled out the first suitcase. When it comes to packing I have a very short attention span. I put a few things in and then quit.

Only six of us for dinner. I had fruit, a Cesar salad, fried chicken and a blueberry sundae for dessert.

I went up to the Crow’s Nest to check out “The Magic of Motown” with The Station Band. They were on break and not much was going on so I took a picture and left.

We gain another hour tonight.

Another sea day tomorrow.

Morning trivia…

1)Mickey Mouse

2)snorkasaurus

3)Bangladesh

4)victory

5)Helios

Afternoon trivia…

1)Sarah Brightman

2)Thomas Stern

3)Sicily

4)Stalin

5)XXI

It's hard to believe that after your reports becoming a part of my day, it is all winding down. Now for that dreaded packing, and the welcome reflecting on all you have seen and done.

I have appreciated that you took me along to places I will never go. It's been a joy.

Hi Kathi,

Just a note to tell you how much we have enjoyed your posts. We really appreciate the time you have spent, sharing your experiences.

On another note, it occurs to me that we should have been copying down all your trivia questions and answers. I wonder how many of these will be repeated on our forthcoming Grand Asia. Hmm...

Oh no on the first suitcase out :(

This means your cruise is coming to an end all too soon.

Thank you for taking us along here and in your wonderful blog.

Going to miss reading your posts all too soon.

Many thanks and good luck with the dreaded packing (yn)

Kathi - one last question, pls? Our Grand Asia sails from Seattle on 9/23/2018, and we are having all our luggage shipped by HAL, via FedEx. I expect that the FedEx shipping papers will be delivered to us in late August. We will be out of state all of August. From your experience, do these papers have to be signed for? If so, I wonder if that signature can be waived. I would hate to get home around 9/1 and find that FedEx will be at our door a few days later.

Kathi - one last question, pls? Our Grand Asia sails from Seattle on 9/23/2018, and we are having all our luggage shipped by HAL, via FedEx. I expect that the FedEx shipping papers will be delivered to us in late August. We will be out of state all of August. From your experience, do these papers have to be signed for? If so, I wonder if that signature can be waived. I would hate to get home around 9/1 and find that FedEx will be at our door a few days later.

I can't remember if I had to sign for them or not. I'm thinking I did not but I will ask around today and see if others have a better memory than I do.

The internet has been out for at least 12 hours (and kicked me off again as I was trying to post this).

At Sea – April 22, 2018

Since there was no water aerobics this morning I went to Hamish’s Coffee Chat. The guests today were the members of Savannah Jack. Then to get juice and a roll before heading to Sit and Stitch.

Doreen came for a bit before she had to leave for lunch and Bea and Judy stopped by just to talk.

Trivia was in the Crow’s Nest (nobody knew why) and because of the 11:00 Mariners Lunch many were not there. I played with members of three different team. We tied for first place.

1)Who said, “A rose is a rose is a rose is a rose?”

2)In what African country is Timbuktu?

3)What does “OG” mean to a stamp collector?

4)What 1902 children’s book continues to sell 50,000+ copies per year?

5)What is the capital city of Afghanistan?

Back to the cabin to change for the Mariners Lunch. I arrived a minute or two before 1 p.m. (the time on the invitation) and the lower dining room was full and some people were on their main course. There are quite a few onboard who always want to be first. I had to go up to deck 5 and sat with a couple from Michigan. It was their second world cruise and we talked about how addictive they are.

To Arts and Crafts to make a card for Earth Day. There were about half the normal number of people present.

Back to my cabin again to change clothes and pick up my book and knitting and then sat by the pool.

All the team was back for afternoon trivia but we did not do great – 12 out of 17. The winners had 15.

1)What company produced the Brownie camera?

2)What is the rock and roll stage name of Paul David Hewson?

3)What ruler brought all of Greece together?

4)How many times is Britain mentioned in “God Save the Queen”?

5)What bird with a unique call lays its eggs in other birds’ nests?

After trivia I went through a bunch of papers and put more in my suitcase. I need to pick up the pace a little.

Six of us for dinner again (this time Stephanie was present and Herb was not). I had a salad, prime rib, and ice cream for dessert.

I did not go to the show.

Another sea day (and more packing ☹) tomorrow.

Morning trivia…

1)Gertrude Stein

2)Mali

3)original gum

4)The Tale of Peter Rabbit

5)Kabul

Afternoon trivia…

1)Kodak

2)Bono

3)Alexander the Great

4)1 (We all thought 0 but buried in a verse that nobody [including the British] had heard of, there was one reference to Britain)

5)cuckoo

Edited by Scrapnana

At Sea – April 23, 2018

The internet was down last night from at least 10 pm on. I woke up just after 8 to check if the internet was back up so I could post my blog. It was not, so I spent some time packing. Just after 9 the internet came back up and I was able to post and only got bumped off once.

Went by to check the art work by the Artist in Residence (who also teaches the drawing classes). His pen and ink drawings were made in his cabin and are just amazing. His name is Benjamin Sack and it turns out he graduated from VCU.

As usual it was juice and a roll next and on to Sit and Stitch. Our numbers seem to be less each day. People must be packing.

Morning trivia gave us a respectable 13 but four teams tied with a perfect 15.

1)What does “AM” mean in radio terms?

2)What 1960s hit plays each morning in the movie Groundhog Day?

3)In what month did the Titanic sink?

4)How many stars on the flag of Cape Verde?

5)Which artist’s largest work is “The Night Watch”?

On my way to lunch I picked up my passport and had a copy of a pattern made for one of my knitting friends.

In Arts and Crafts there was a cake to thank Nancy and Mary for all their work. Afterwards we made a pair of earrings.

We had 13 for afternoon trivia, also. It was held at 3:30 because of the Mariners Cocktail Party which started at 4:15 for first sitting. The winners had 16 out of 17.

1)In which country do the Kayan stretch their necks with metal rings?

2)What opening move in chess is named for a place in Italy?

3)Which superhero battles against the Green Goblin?

4)Which nursery rhyme character was rich on Monday and broke on Sunday?

5)Who was the subject of over 100 of Rembrandt’s paintings, drawings, and etchings?

Back to my cabin for some more packing. I finished my first suitcase although it does not look like it has made much of a dent in my cabin!!!! I also got my last bag of laundry together – the cut off is noon tomorrow.

As I was waiting for the long line for the party to go down I went by to speak with Ben (the artist). I asked him if he was from Virginia since he had gone to VCU and he said he was from Leesburg. He told me he knew people from Ashland.

At the Mariners Cocktail Party those who received 300, 500, and 700 medallions were called and had a picture taken with the captain and hotel manager. Those of us with a lowly 100 day bronze medallion were not called but could have a picture.

One of the nurses, Sue from Carlisle in England, joined us for dinner. It was our last Gala Night. I had crab bisque, a salad, surf and turf, and apple strudel for dessert.

Tonight’s show was the last performance by the Amsterdam Singers and Dancers.

The last pillow gift was waiting in my cabin when I returned from the show. A very nice (but heavy) plate showing our voyage.

We gain our last hour tonight and will be on Eastern Daylight Saving Time.

One more day at sea before San Juan.

Morning trivia…

1)amplitude modulation

2)I Got You Babe

3)April

4)10

5)Rembrandt

Afternoon trivia…

1)Myanmar

2)Sicilian

3)Spiderman

4)Solomon Grundy