Live Blog of Celebrity Silhouette 13-day Trades wind Transatlantic from a 22 year old

EpochTraveler

Day 3 evening:

Thank you for your concerns with my crazy heavy luggage and being compassionate with my 11 pairs of shoes. Luckily Norwegian Air Premium weight limit is 70lbs and when I get to Ponta Delgada I will unload a few pounds in gifts to my family I should be good with the weight limit even with bringing on tons of souvenirs.

So to be completely honest, I went to the CC meet and mingle which was interesting, I found that people were intimidated to speak to me probably due to how young I look and maybe thought they couldn’t connect with me but I met two lovely couples and we even played trivia together afterward which was a blast. We did make plans to come back and do another round of trivia but I totally took a four hour nap just to catch up on pure exhaustion from work. I did promise I would be back tomorrow morning for morning trivia and I will have to apologize then! After trivia I tried to get coffee from Cafe al Bacio but once again people were adding to the Silhouette Art collection on board and it was just a wall of statue so I gave up and instead went with alcohol which is just as warming as a good cup of coffee! [emoji23]

Sushi on 5 Lunch Review:

For lunch I ate at Sushi on 5 and it was delicious my server was soooooooooo kind. You can really feel the difference when coming from a Mass Market cruise line to a luxury line. I personally enjoyed Lobster Ramen, Chicken Ginger Gyoza and Shrimp Tempura. Phenomenal. Phenomenal. Phenomenal. Well worth it, if you enjoy Japanese cuisine.

When I woke up from my long exhausting slumber it was 5:30 and I had dinner reservations at 6:30 in murano. Today was also evening chic so I thought I would get a little snazzy even though Murano is smart casual I knew that dress code would be carrying over to Murano.

Murano Review:

I will start off with a bold statement. Holy ________ the food was astounding and sensational. My palate could not be happier with me but my hips on the other hand are slightly infuriated.

The food here was Michelin Star quality and I am comparing it to a few that I have been too. I am big on service and my waiter and assistant waiter were marvelous. Even other waiters who were not waiting my table would come over and make sure everything was ok. The team work in service really pays off and makes for an incredible experience. I personally indulged in mushroom Risotto that beat out two different risottos I have had at 2 restaurants in Italy that I couldn’t pick from. There was the mushroom foam on top that just made the dish so cohesive and truly an unforgettable dish. They brought out a seared scallop from the chef which was delicious.

Then the main event; Murano Lobster. Now I did do my research and know that this was prepped table side so I was excited and being from New England this boy loves his Lobster. Truly an experience when they flambé the lobster in front of you and a great show before your meal. My waiter had a wonderful sense of humor that added to the whole experience. Next was the stinky cheese plate. I got some seriously stinky cheeses. Thank god for good wine to push them down because yikes, stinky cheese is not for me! After that the cram-dela-creme was the dark chocolate soufflé. Holy _________ (insert your favorite vulgar word) this was amazing. I could eat 4 of them it was so good, but then again anything chocolate is epicenter of a great dessert. Absolute no complaints from Murano.

Only thing I noticed is the people dining, I could feel the heat in their eyes beeming on me as I was eating alone and it was a look of confusion/curiosity. It was uncomfortable at first but I got over it rather quickly as I paid just like they did to enjoy my meal, and since I paid double occupancy the seat was occupied by my virtual friends, all of you reading my live blog!

Currently as I type this with a margarita in hand I am at the sunset bar where my hair is blowing every which way and the boat is taking on some swells. Tonight we have the show Pearl and the comedian from yesterday will also preform tonight so I am not missing out!

Thank you for your continued reading and hope you enjoy my live blog so far. I will be including pictures very soon! [emoji5]

We went to Cafe al Bacio a few times on Silhouette last month when desserts in the MDR were less than inspiring. Usually around 9:00PMish. There were always people there but we never had to wait. Don't give up on the Cafe - it's well worth it.

Do you think the porch was worth $30 per person? We would not be cruising in a suite or on a dining plan...$60 fur lunch seems steep, esp b/c my spouse is allergic to lobster...and other shellfish,

The decor looks the same as it was when they served crepes for much less $ and the tower seems more like a bucket, How was the food`?

Thanks for the blog and your perspective.

Day 5 Midday, Sunnay, Hey Hey!

So I woke up dastardly late. I had plans to leave this ship for 9 and I woke up at 8:30 and my stomach felt like a desert, dry, barren and completely empty. I forgot after coming back from the movie to fill out the breakfast door thing so I could have breakfast with a view of beautiful Bermuda and not of the bottom of a passenger because she kept dropping her napkin next to me.. (it’s a story for later...)

I somehow ate in record time at the buffet and ran out the ship and caught the 9:30 ferry to Hamilton. I met one of the couples i do trivia with on board out of coincidences but I totally ignored them because photography was slightly more important than human interaction. (Yes afterward I did got and chat with them I am not as pitiful as you think I promise!) so I got off the ship and walked around Bermuda.

Bermuda is a nice novice training for London. You really have to change how you walk because everything is opposite from the US. We look left them right then left again, if you do that here in Bermuda or London the only thing you’re going to be left with is no teeth and a migraine. I did do some shopping but per usual on an island it’s expensive for a little semi naked lady shot glass. I even went so far inland to see if prices got cheaper and it really didn’t. I did buy my mom her Mother’s Day gift; a nice Coach Purse I got at a great price to my surprise, but it was hot and I thought there would be more to see in Hamilton but I decided to go back to the dockyard and walk around before heading back onto the ship.

After getting back on and leaving my stuff in the cabin I went to lunch at the buffet to give it another try. (It’s like a first date that kind of went bad but willing to try again..) So this time much better. More variety, fresh food was awaiting us and I came in at a busy time as many people were coming back for lunch around 2.

Lady’s bottom story;

So I usual sit at a table for two just so I am out of the way and not bother anyone whilst I eat. This group of couples sits next to me because the next table over is for 6. This lady constantly kept talking with her elbows out of all things and kept dropping her napkin and silverware on the ground. I don’t know if the excitement in her conversation kept causing this to happen but every time she dropped it she would get out her chair and bend over right in front of me as if I was not there. After the third time I picked it up myself and was going to ask her if she needed a lanyard for her napkin, so she could keep it in place.

Right now I’m on my balcony enjoying the beautiful light blue water of Bermuda before my dinner tonight at the lawn club grill!

I will be back later with some more stories and some lovely food pictures!

Can't go wrong with Coach. My DW is a Coach addict and bought yet another in Old San Juan on our X cruise in March. Even our passport cases are Coach. :)

Try ordering room service from the TV application. We did it twice and it worked perfectly.

We went to Cafe al Bacio a few times on Silhouette last month when desserts in the MDR were less than inspiring. Usually around 9:00PMish. There were always people there but we never had to wait. Don't give up on the Cafe - it's well worth it.

Yes I think tonight i am going to go before the 10:15 game show so I am have a nice coffee!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can't go wrong with Coach. My DW is a Coach addict and bought yet another in Old San Juan on our X cruise in March. Even our passport cases are Coach. :)

Try ordering room service from the TV application. We did it twice and it worked perfectly.

Yes, my mother is very spoiled, but only because she deserves it.

I am going to try that also another day I want to see if I can order with the door menu and have it wake me up at the same time. I am looking for a breakfast in bed. [emoji120][emoji12]

Yes, my mother is very spoiled, but only because she deserves it.

I am going to try that also another day I want to see if I can order with the door menu and have it wake me up at the same time. I am looking for a breakfast in bed. [emoji120][emoji12]

One nice touch ordering online is that we got a confirmation call within 5 minutes of placing the order. They arrived right on time and the quality was much better than room service on our other cruises.

Great blog thank you. I am on Silhouette to the Baltic in May, first time on S class, been 3 times on M class, so it's interesting to hear all about it! Excited to hear that Sue Denning is on board, she was on the Millie and found her to be lovely, with great taste in shoes!

You best believe my parents both made me pay out of my own pretty pocket to get an internet package just so they can FaceTime this beautiful face daily. In all honestly though, the comfort factor it has seeing a familiar face is wonderful, and without the internet I wouldn’t be able to live blog and chat with all of you!

Hope your son enjoys the good ol’ US of A. Send him my best wishes and safe travels!

Thanks for your kind words. Whilst I can see the merits of an internet package our son just isn't great at remembering to communicate back!

Funnily enough his first stop in the USA is Boston!

We always drive to FL from Mi. for our crusies. There are tons of “outlet malls” along the way and we will occasionally stop at one There is always a Coach Store and they always have a 50% off sale for everything in the store. Yeah, right. It is still way overpriced. I made a comment to one of the employees about how they can have so many outlet stores selling overstocks and etc because I worked in the auto business. If we had so many rejects, over runs and etc there would be a big shake up because someone wasn’t doing their job and we would be out of business. Apparently they need to have better quality control and forecasters.

I was in Mexico years ago and seen “Coach” items very cheap. We then went into a major brand store that was selling Coach products at the normal price and asked why their prices were so high. We were told because they sold the real stuff and the others were fake. He said to look at the stitching and that it isn’t real leather, etc. I said they smell like leather and was told they just apply the stuff to make it smell like that. Basically it comes down to if you are fooled then everyone else will also be. And if you just want to impress others with the label than it does it’s job.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

Hi,

Have a daily routine grab a coffee and read your blog before I start work.:) Missed it this morning, hope all is good on the Atlantic wave. Surely it was that you are too busy having fun and not Celeb's wifi !!

Making me super excited as board on the 30th..

Day Something: Yes, we are still alive and well in the Atlantic.

Don’t be alarmed as the Silhouette is cruising perfectly fine and my small absence might of had something to do with the premium alcohol package and an early bed time. [emoji23] (My mother would be so proud! {Hi mom!})

Yes so you will get a nice long two day review and an explanation.

So I started my morning off with not one but two phones calls at the wide awakening hour of 6:30AM and 7:15 because I made it in time to use the breakfast door order form, but they called when I was sound asleep and beat my alarm informing me that they had to charge me for the mimosa even though in big bold letters it says “CHECK TV FOR PRICES” So i kindly thanked her for waking me up in my dry raspy voice sounding like i haven’t had a sip of water in 14 years. Then she preceded to call once again to let me know room service was on their way up, which would of been the appropriate first call since it was during the time I ordered it. In 2.75 seconds of me hanging up my phone I hear a knock on my door. Very coordinated I see, or she just was late with the call.

Breakfast in bed was a success and I enjoyed some traditional American fare and some fruit. After breakfast I did my usual morning routine of trivia and then I went to the future cruise desk and started radically planning vacations and putting deposits on sailings I’m probably not going to take but hey! Why not right?! (Makes sure you book refundable deposits because Celebrity just adopted Royal Caribbean’s policy of non refundable, not cool..)

Afterward I went to the buffet for lunch. (I was chatting at future cruise for almost two hours. {Yes I love everything Royal, Celebrity, and Azamara and could talk for decades about them.})

The lunch buffet has started turning into a five course meal, each day the course is getting better and better. They had “American BBQ.” Themed lunch which looked great but I opted for some Indian curry that smelled divine. Afterward The usual routine kicked in of trivia until 4PM, then I went to the sunset bar where I made friends with some Aussies and I started doing tequila shots with them because during music trivia the song “Tequilla” came on and we slowly went down hill from there.

Now let me preface you again; yes I am 22. Yes, my poison of choice is tequila. I have done 20 shots of tequila before on multiple occasions. (Again, mommy is so proud. {my mom can also drink tequila like it’s going out of style, I take after my lovely mother, and I’m a momma’s boy! [emoji23]})

So I partake in some drinking fun with the Aussies and only had 6 shots in maybe an hour span. I went back to my room and of course after any alcohol you feel like you are the celebrity on the ship. I went back to my room and got ready for Qsine at 7.

Qsine Review: Sophisticated Wonderland with a twist.

Blaming the rocking of the ship during a transatlantic for your poor walking skills after feeling “happy” from the tequila works. I sat down and asked for a 1L bottle of Evian so I can clean the system from the tequila so I can have a pleasant experience dining. They give you an iPad and a whole lot of choices. Now Qsine is similar to Wonderland where it’s a bunch of little bites so you order a lot of food but then little bites add up and then hit you like a ton a bricks. Quick. I had the Painters Mignon, soup in a test tube, sushi lollipops, three ceviches, disco shrimp and lobster escargot. Not sharing and eating it all will cause you to gain weight, I could feel my hips increasing like a tire pump filling up a flat tire. The food was good. I definitely had better food at the other specialty restaurants. It’s worth the try , but I don’t think it’s worth going back to especially since afterward you need to request to be rolled back to your cabin. To put the nail on the coffin I ordered the Chocolate Tombstone. ([emoji6]) after my pure chocolate bliss I requested my airlift to my stateroom because now I’m slightly drunk and extraordinary stuffed I was afraid a bad combo was about to happen. I did take the stairs 5 flights up to my room to get the overstuffed feeling out and the wonderful Malbec wine mixed with the tequila and lights out I went.

Day 7; semi back to normal.

I woke up late, I hibernated in my cabin until 9:15 and jumped out my bed knowing I still had to eat breakfast then go to morning trivia. The Celebrity staff played a mean joke and moved trivia from the sky lounge to the ensemble lounge and it was to close for comfort. We had some 25 teams in there and we could barely hear Jaz but we are doing better every day we do trivia together!

At 12:30 I had a CC meet up with some fellow people from Massachusetts which was nice we ate at the dining room and I enjoyed a mushroom polenta. Afterward I stood behind and talked about Ponta Delgada and Lisbon with a couple until 4PM at the Cafe al Bacio. (My team is going to be sooo mad I me I missed trivia twice!) I once again had dinner at Murano (my new favorite restaurant!) today I had the Scallop Wellington which was super decadent, the Mushroom risotto which is to die for, and the critically acclaimed Dover Sole everyone talks to highly of. All of which was delicious.

Now after a wonderful meal at Murano I’m waiting to go to a comedian tonight then frisky feud as well tonight. I’m on my balcony and it has been nothing but wonderful weather. High 60’s low 70’s (I’m from New England anything above 55 is beautiful!)

Thank you for following along and sorry for missing a day.

I have been trying to post pictures but I’m still getting errors so when I get to my grandmothers house in Ponta Delgada I will try and post some with their WiFi. (Spoiler Alert!)

You're having fun, girl. Keep it up. We sit now explaining to our granddaughters the cruise we're taking them on in 2020. We looked at Summit and Equinox but decided on RCL Adventure of the Seas since it will have more for them to do. They'll be 13 and 15 then so tequila may not be such a great idea.

Enjoying your blog very much. I was on the Silhouette in 2013 for a Caribbean trip with my mother. DH & I will be doing the return TA on her in November.

By the way, what is the charge for dining at The Porch? Hubby is usually adverse to specialty dining but that seafood tower looks too good to pass up.

Sue

Day 8: Erm.. why is this going by so fast?

Time flies when you are having fun? Why does it fly even faster when it’s for a vacation you pay for....? [emoji848]

Today the hour went forward again and I really want to have a conversation with the people that created time zones.. I woke up at the lovely hour of 9:30AM. I am sleeping my vacation away and I’m very upset by this, so tonight I’m putting an alarm on my phone to wake up at promptly 4 AM so I can enjoy every last second of my vacation. [emoji23]

So the usual 10:15 trivia but I had to still shower then sprint to the sky lounge from deck 10 very aft. Definitely got my morning workout in as I made it with 2 minutes to spare. Luckily the ship isn’t as big as an Oasis Class that takes ten minutes just to walk from the aft to mid ship let alone all the way to the front would of been another 20 minute commute. I think ships in the 130, 000GRT (Solstice Class) is the sweet spot in terms of size. Afterward celebrity has lovely presentation with their “Behind the Podium” lectures but they had a special one with the engineering team about how the ship moves and operates which was nice to listen to. (I am a cruise addict and I think I know how the ship operates better than the captain. {Not really but highly knowledgeable nonetheless. [emoji23]})

Lunch hit and I decided to try room service lunch. Everything went well and food was delicious I had a turkey club sandwich with fries and some fruit. It came in about 20 minutes it was relatively quick when I ordered. I spent the afternoon with a few margaritas and stayed at the sunset bar / Lawn Club area and enjoyed the rocking of the ship and the warm breeze. For April the weather has been warm, and the oceans have been more than generous to us.

Then the usual trivia with my friends.

Slight gripe: I’m 22. No I’m don’t know 50’s, 60’s 70’s or Motown hits. Celebrity likes to talk about “Modern” can we at least get a 90’s or 00’s category so I can actually win against the rest of the guests. [emoji23]

I finally made time to sneak into the Hideaway for a bit and I loved it in there. Quiet, introvert Quarters where you can read a good book or take a snooze like some did. (I don’t get it, why sleep in a public venue when your cabin is on the ship?)

Tonight is evening chic and I really didn’t feel inspired to get dressed and I wanted to try the buffet for dinner. I didn’t see anything stellar but I did have a Spaghetti Bolognese with some veggies. Then God illuminated one station. “Bistro on 5 Crepe Station” The infamous crepes from bistro on 5. I had a delicious chocolate crepe with Nutella and whipped cream and yum, yum , yum goodness for dessert. I loved it.

Now I’m once again at the sunset bar and im taking in the sun since tonight’s sunset is not until 9PM. These crossings are a treat let me tell you.

Tonight there is a couple singing duo of country / English rock then it’s Murder Mystery. I’m excited to see what’s in store tonight!

Love reading your comments and thoughts and keep your questions coming I will try and answer them for you if someone doesn’t beat me to the punch! Thank you and hope you enjoy reading my blog! [emoji5]

No charge, but I don’t know if it is everyday. I’m going back tomorrow to check. Tonight is evening chic so it might be something special.

Thank you. I will look out for it on our 23rd June Silhouette Cruise.

Thank you for your latest instalment! When we go on Silhouette in four weeks, our stateroom is near to the hideaway so we are looking forward to going in there for a read, hopefully not dropping off to sleep in there! (I think you can get coffee from there and hear music from the atrium).

A question: do you happen to know if they have a guest choir on your cruise? If so, are you going to be in it?

Thank you for your latest instalment! When we go on Silhouette in four weeks, our stateroom is near to the hideaway so we are looking forward to going in there for a read, hopefully not dropping off to sleep in there! (I think you can get coffee from there and hear music from the atrium).

A question: do you happen to know if they have a guest choir on your cruise? If so, are you going to be in it?

They do have a guest choir! For some odd reason why voice sounds lovely in the shower, as if I’m singing with the angels. When I sing outside the shower the angelic voice I had gets lost. I wish I could sing, I sing so much, just not in front of others!

Do I gather Bistro on 5 is now in the buffet?

So is there a charge?

That would be wonderful, even with an upcharge. We really miss our fav spot for lunch/ brunch... What a lucky find!

They do have a guest choir! For some odd reason why voice sounds lovely in the shower, as if I’m singing with the angels. When I sing outside the shower the angelic voice I had gets lost. I wish I could sing, I sing so much, just not in front of others!

Great! Keep singing, never stop!! I am so pleased to hear that there is a guest choir. Because it seems likely that there will also be one on our Baltic cruise in May, and my husband, Norman can be in it as he really enjoys singing in choirs. XX