Has anyone used the train?-- MIA to Brickell or downtown Miami?

riffatsea

I am an X Nyrker who visits NYC frequently and uses the train from either Newark or JFK to get into Manhattan. It is true that I travel light without too much luggage so cruisers may not readily do this but wondering if anyone has tried it. It looks quite convenient in MIami.

I assume that you're referring to the Metrorail. I use it every time in Miami from MIA to downtown or Brickell... There is also the MetroMover, which is free and easy to use to get around once you reach the area.

I didn't know what the train was called but just know it exists and looks fairly easy to use. Glad to know that I am not the only one considering this.

IF we are tired we may just grab a taxi since it's a fixed rate and only about $5 more than Uber/Lyft .IF we have energy we may opt for the train. It is good to have choices!!

Metrorail operates from Miami Airport also which connects with the downtown MetroMover. The MetroRail also connects with TriRail which connects the 3 Airports (MIA, FLL and West Palm Beach). Each Tri-Rail airport station has a free bus shuttle to/from airport.

BTW Tri-Rail also stops at Opa Locka station and has a Métro bus that leaves from there too but not sure of the routing to the Opa Locka airport.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I didn't know what the train was called but just know it exists and looks fairly easy to use. Glad to know that I am not the only one considering this.

IF we are tired we may just grab a taxi since it's a fixed rate and only about $5 more than Uber/Lyft .IF we have energy we may opt for the train. It is good to have choices!!

It's a fixed rate if going to the port, not if going to Brickell or downtown Miami! Then there is about and $8-$10 difference in the taxi vs uber/lyft.

According to the MIA web site the fixed rate is the same to the port and downtown hotels.

no, you are not reading the chart correctly. YELLOW is fixed rate ... white is "typical" or "estimated"

see note at top of the TAXI column ....

downtown typical is LESS than the port flat rate ....

Brik' is not specifically listed, but lies tween downtown and Coconut Grove, both appear at $21.70 .....

do you feel lucky?

OR we're looking at different charts .....

former Miami resident sends ....

According to the MIA web site the fixed rate is the same to the port and downtown hotels. You are right that it doesn't mention Brickell and I can't figure out where it fits into the chart:

http://www.miami-airport.com/library/map-taxis-supershuttle-rates.pdf

The downtown hotels are estimated, as it is on the chart you are looking at. Brickell and downtown are really the same thing. The estimate is $21.70, but that’s just an estimate. With traffic and traffic is horrible in the downtown/Brickell area, the cost of a taxi will be higher. That estimate should probably be more like $25 in my opinion.

Uber would be around $18, at least that’s what I usually pay.

To answer your question without offering cab and Uber alternatives. Yes the Metro rail goes from the airport to downtown Miami and we did it with luggage with absolutely no issue. If you catch the train in the station I doubt anything that uses highways can beat the speed, At $2.25 each it is pretty cheap as well, the ticket machine takes credit cards and is easy to use. The free Metromover provides more coverage at the Miami end. There is also a free trolley, Coral Way that will drop you at the ship the next morning. I suspect that many would find it odd that we pay for a Balcony but avoid cab fares to save $20 or so. It can be done, you can spend the money on a fancy drink on the ship

To answer your question without offering cab and Uber alternatives. Yes the Metro rail goes from the airport to downtown Miami and we did it with luggage with absolutely no issue. If you catch the train in the station I doubt anything that uses highways can beat the speed, At $2.25 each it is pretty cheap as well, the ticket machine takes credit cards and is easy to use. The free Metromover provides more coverage at the Miami end. There is also a free trolley, Coral Way that will drop you at the ship the next morning. I suspect that many would find it odd that we pay for a Balcony but avoid cab fares to save $20 or so. It can be done, you can spend the money on a fancy drink on the ship

Don't find it strange at all. Public transportation is always a great option when it works as it should.

It's a great way to go depending on the time of day since it's a bit dicer at night. If your flight was coming in at night, I would suggest an uber.

I took a shuttle from FLL to the train to the monorail and got to Bricknell no problems. With a suitcase and it was on a Sunday. It was fun to test out others public transport.

Glad it worked out for you, but when it is my vacation I'll choose the $35 Uber/Lyft for the wife and I from FLL to Miami every time over a shuttle to the tri-Rail train to the People Mover,...

Glad it worked out for you, but when it is my vacation I'll choose the $35 Uber/Lyft for the wife and I from FLL to Miami every time over a shuttle to the tri-Rail train to the People Mover,...

Yesterday would have screwed up anyone trying to use the People mover aka metro mover since it was out of service the entire day and night!

Thanks for explaining the chart to me! I understand better now.

My issue with Uber is that I need to use wifi with my phone and not sure the airport coverage will work well outside. Also DH is not good at waiting and wants to jump into whatever is closest first without thinking about price so if the taxi line is short he would prefer that. IF the taxi line is long then that's another issue altogether. Not sure yet about flight timing but will probably be late afternoon which I'd guess would be going against traffic going towards Brickell from the airport?? The public transit/train option is not to save money but with traffic I'd think the train would be faster.

Thanks for explaining the chart to me! I understand better now.

My issue with Uber is that I need to use wifi with my phone and not sure the airport coverage will work well outside. Also DH is not good at waiting and wants to jump into whatever is closest first without thinking about price so if the taxi line is short he would prefer that. IF the taxi line is long then that's another issue altogether. Not sure yet about flight timing but will probably be late afternoon which I'd guess would be going against traffic going towards Brickell from the airport?? The public transit/train option is not to save money but with traffic I'd think the train would be faster.

Coming into Brickell will be much better than leaving this area, that's for sure! I've landed at 5 pm at MIA and gotten home without too much issue.

Uber will tell you to order when you are down in the luggage area so you won't have any issues with the wifi. Right outside the doors, the signal is still very strong. Message the drive and tell them which door number you are standing outside of and what outfits you are wearing and ask him what color car they have before you leave the inside if you are too worried. I have never had an issue with them finding me there.

I'm an ex New Yorker myself and am up there. If you are used to taking the train from JFK into NYC, then the transit here will be just as easy. And no transfers at Jamaica!

I don't take it, though the stop is right here in Brickell a short walk from my place. I usually drive myself or Uber.

I took a shuttle from FLL to the train to the monorail and got to Bricknell no problems. With a suitcase and it was on a Sunday. It was fun to test out others public transport.

Curious how long you had to wait at each stop. On the weekends the trains run much less frequently.

We waited 10 min at the Airport station, Which is the luck of arrival as they use the airport terminal to time separation between trains and we just missed prior train. Less than 1 minute at the other stops heading into Miami

Thanks for the wifi info at MIA. I didn't realize that uber at MIA picks up right at the curb. In many other locations you need to walk to a general Uber/pick up area away from the main terminals.

Good to know about the train too so we'll have lots of choices.