Nifty & Thrifty Find's

Hello fellow crusiers, My name is Cari, I am 47 yrs young, and live in the state of Indiana. My BF Rick (51 yrs young) and I are going on our very first cruise in Oct. on the CCL Legend. We booked this past January and have been OCD about getting into the crusing state of mind ever since. We love to bargain hunt, go to flea markets, yard sales, you name it we're there. We have come across some great finds.

I am also well known with my friends for the Find-of -the-week. They say, " So Cari, what's the must have find this week? " This got me to thinking that we should have a thread here on CC to help share in the excitment of finding that really great bargain item that some others may want or need to get " cruise-ready". So that is what I want to share with the rest of my cruise buddies out there. Feel free to join in the money saving fun too....

Todays finds are 2 CD's $1.00 each from the Dollar-Tree. They each have a themed set of songs that are sure to put you in the mood-to-cruise.

The first title is : SPICY party music, all themed towards Caribbean songs. some titles on the CD are; Hot Hot Hot, Caribbean Queen, Montego Bay, I like it like that, Mexican Hot Dance, Calypso Concho, Havana Days, La Bamba, Smooth, Macarena, and others sure to make you NOT sit still. The second CD is title is Tiki-Tiki party, lots of Hawaiian, luau type music. All I need now is a fruity drink with a paper umbrella. :D I found both of these CD's in the Auto parts section of Dollar-Tree. (of all asiles for it to be in, really! Go Figure) I have played both CD's and they are in perfect listening order. No seconds or scratches.

Does anyone else have any nifty & thrifty finds that are related to cruising that you may want to share?

Until next time........ Have a nifty day. Cari & Rick

rather than taking the reg, or smallest size...the samples/travel sz. are great. I had a lot of hotel sz toilette articles..emptying all the s"poo into my large bottle, as well as puttng lotions, powders, etc in to 2 of the recycled ones..label each..when empty, trash it..then use the 2nd one.. you can then do the same or take it. I take 2/3 sample toothpaste, I have almost 2 lbs oz of cosmetics, etc in a "sheet set, zip bag", after my 24 daze in Spain, I will only bring back what I couldnt use up..lipstick, eye colours, etc..therefor eliminating about 1/2 that weight. Also, in the salon that you frequent, ask them to save Perm Solution bottles...get the screw caps too..if the tip is snipped..just put a small pc of saran over the opening, and replace the cap..use up, or empty, trash after last use, b4 you fly/drive home. I will be down almost 1 pound of stuff by doing that..thatz a pound of goodies to bring back with out add'l weight..I quit buying those small size bottles to fill...I mix my own makeup base, so it is in a plastic jar..mini Tupper size. I live by Zip bags..the "squish out air ones.. I take flat..when I pack back up..all dirty is folded and goes into one or two...deflate it, and clean clothes can go in one too..makes more room too. 28 recent cruzes, and 38 trips abroad! and counting..use a carry on for the important stuff listed above, if flying out..this frees up more space in tote/roll a board for you. I"m sure mor ideas will spark once you try this yourself!

Edited by luckycruzer

I love Dollar Tree too - I could list dozens of everyday items that I have got there and could be helpful for cruising - but the best "surprises" I have found there are a tube of 100 zip ties and an over-the-door shoe holder. It only has six shoe size openings and two smaller ones, but it's enough for the two of us and folds up super flat! Oh, and a couple little birthday decorations for the room for DBF's birthday. At that price I did not mind leaving them behind!

Erin

Today at the $1 spot at Target, I found nautical themed blank note cards. I intend to bring them along and write thank you notes to our room steward and anyone else along the way that makes me smile :)

(That's assuming I don't lose them between now and then!)

Today at the $1 spot at Target, I found nautical themed blank note cards. I intend to bring them along and write thank you notes to our room steward and anyone else along the way that makes me smile :)

(That's assuming I don't lose them between now and then!)

I too found some note cards in a clearance bin at Staples. Mine have an Anchor or a Palm tree on them. I too write a thank you note and put it in a small gift bag with items from home to say I really appreciate you and your service to us. I have local grown and made fruit leather and a stuffed toy or item from Canada to bless my next crew. It always makes me smile to know I have brightened their day. I include the Cruise Director and the makeup gal too. Being a well travelled person means I leave behind a good reputation not just my dollars. Have a great trip. Ours leaves April 21 - 15 days FLL to LA. Panama canal here we come.

LouBLou

Hi folks...We are fairly new to cruising, but found out quickly how expensive and painfully slow the on board computers are. Does anyone know if it does work out cheaper to bring your own lap top ? You still have to pay the cruise line for your time spent on-line, but am wondering if it works out to be more reasonable at all ? Any hints and tips on this topic would be MOST appreciated...Thanks :)

Hi folks...We are fairly new to cruising, but found out quickly how expensive and painfully slow the on board computers are. Does anyone know if it does work out cheaper to bring your own lap top ? You still have to pay the cruise line for your time spent on-line, but am wondering if it works out to be more reasonable at all ? Any hints and tips on this topic would be MOST appreciated...Thanks :)

On the newest ships, the internet is fast. We were just on the RCCL Oasis of the Seas and the internet service was fantastic - almost like land - it was very fast, yet still quite expensive. But on the NCL Jade last year, it was as slow as molasses. We complained about it to the Purser who said it is because the access if via satellite. He said everyone complains and they keep telling corporate, but no changes had been made thusfar. Internet access is still expensive on both ships. My husband found a coupon for 15 free minutes in the RCCL repeat customer book that they give you onboard, but we limited internet use to business only due to the expense.

The cheapest thing to do, IMO, is take your laptop or personal communications device on land to a Starbucks - surprisingly available at many ports, and get online there. Check online to see if the island or port you are visiting has a Starbucks or internet cafe prior to your trip and plan ahead. I remember a rainy day in Puerto Rico where I witnessed dozens of people doing just that at the Starbucks near the port! LOL!

http://www.starbucks.com/store-locator

Hi Friends, Today I found a 1.75 ltr bottle of "On the Boarder-Mexican Grill & Cantina" Strawberry Margarita Mix. (non-alcoholic) $1.00 at our local Dollar Deals Store. They had other flavors too. I am going to try it tonight and if it is good. I may go back to purchase some more. We bought the same size bottle a few weeks ago and it was $6.99 on sale. It was a different brand though. Guess I'm making Margaritas tonight. :)

Hi Friends, Today I found a 1.75 ltr bottle of "On the Boarder-Mexican Grill & Cantina" Strawberry Margarita Mix. (non-alcoholic) $1.00 at our local Dollar Deals Store. They had other flavors too. I am going to try it tonight and if it is good. I may go back to purchase some more. We bought the same size bottle a few weeks ago and it was $6.99 on sale. It was a different brand though. Guess I'm making Margaritas tonight. :)

Sorry friends, I just read the rules about posting and probably shouldn't have mentioned the store's name. Cari.

Hello fellow crusiers, My name is Cari, I am 47 yrs young, and live in the state of Indiana. My BF Rick (51 yrs young) and I are going on our very first cruise in Oct. on the CCL Legend. We booked this past January and have been OCD about getting into the crusing state of mind ever since. We love to bargain hunt, go to flea markets, yard sales, you name it we're there. We have come across some great finds.

I am also well known with my friends for the Find-of -the-week. They say, " So Cari, what's the must have find this week? " This got me to thinking that we should have a thread here on CC to help share in the excitment of finding that really great bargain item that some others may want or need to get " cruise-ready". So that is what I want to share with the rest of my cruise buddies out there. Feel free to join in the money saving fun too....

Todays finds are 2 CD's $1.00 each from the Dollar-Tree. They each have a themed set of songs that are sure to put you in the mood-to-cruise.

The first title is : SPICY party music, all themed towards Caribbean songs. some titles on the CD are; Hot Hot Hot, Caribbean Queen, Montego Bay, I like it like that, Mexican Hot Dance, Calypso Concho, Havana Days, La Bamba, Smooth, Macarena, and others sure to make you NOT sit still. The second CD is title is Tiki-Tiki party, lots of Hawaiian, luau type music. All I need now is a fruity drink with a paper umbrella. :D I found both of these CD's in the Auto parts section of Dollar-Tree. (of all asiles for it to be in, really! Go Figure) I have played both CD's and they are in perfect listening order. No seconds or scratches.

Does anyone else have any nifty & thrifty finds that are related to cruising that you may want to share?

Until next time........ Have a nifty day. Cari & Rick

WoooHoooo!!! I found the CD's!! Walked out with 5 of them!! Love it!! Thanks for posting this!

I love going there also but I'm careful about what I buy. I never buy food products but if you do, I suggest you look at where it is made. I would not buy any food from countries that have a lot of recalls. I'm not going to mention which countries but you know which ones.

Sorry friends, I just read the rules about posting and probably shouldn't have mentioned the store's name. Cari.

I think our posts are fine - from what I read, the prohibition is against adverstising travel services such as TA's, tour companies, etc. I frequent the Fashion board and we often mention bargains we have gotten at particular stores.

Edited by simplelife

Dollar Tree and similar stores sell plastic hooded rain ponchos one or two per pack for $1 (obviously). These are GREAT for travel, outdoor concerts, any outdoor events. Much more convenient that hauling around a raincoat, umbrella, etc., and they can just be thrown away when you are done (no dealing with a drippy umbrella or damp coat). Lightweight and take up very littel space in the luggage. I'm throwing in several for our Canada cruise in June.

We used these once during a rainstorm at a theme park and people were constantly stopping to ask where they could buy one. We proudly told them we'd bought them at the dollar store and brought them along. And we noticed the gift shop was selling disposable ponchos for $15.

If you bring your own you pay the same price per minute as using their computers. You can save "time" however, by composing your email off-line, and then logging on and sending it off.

And as mentioned, you can carry it off ship and use local services. Depending on where you are traveling, McDonalds is another venue for free access, especially in Europe.

And by having your own computer you can download your pictures from your camera thus freeing up chip space. I always set up a daily file folder and download my pictures every evening, and then write a review of what we did that day and place it in the daily folder. That makes life a lot easier when we get back in sorting out what we did.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
Dollar Tree and similar stores sell plastic hooded rain ponchos one or two per pack for $1 (obviously). These are GREAT for travel, outdoor concerts, any outdoor events. Much more convenient that hauling around a raincoat, umbrella, etc., and they can just be thrown away when you are done (no dealing with a drippy umbrella or damp coat). Lightweight and take up very littel space in the luggage. I'm throwing in several for our Canada cruise in June.

We used these once during a rainstorm at a theme park and people were constantly stopping to ask where they could buy one. We proudly told them we'd bought them at the dollar store and brought them along. And we noticed the gift shop was selling disposable ponchos for $15.

That's a great tip on the rain ponchos. This is an item that most people don't think of UNTIL it's raining.(and then they wont be a dollar either, we paid $10 a piece at Disney) For $1 and the little space that it will take in a suitcase, this will be a must buy item.

When I was in the Dollar Tree the other day they were putting out some of their summer Luau type party decorations. It gave me some really good ides for decorating our cabin door. They had a really nice selection of tropical, pink flamingo and tiki type things.

• 2 weeks later...
That's a great tip on the rain ponchos. This is an item that most people don't think of UNTIL it's raining.(and then they wont be a dollar either, we paid $10 a piece at Disney) For $1 and the little space that it will take in a suitcase, this will be a must buy item.

When I was in the Dollar Tree the other day they were putting out some of their summer Luau type party decorations. It gave me some really good ides for decorating our cabin door. They had a really nice selection of tropical, pink flamingo and tiki type things.

We had those ponchos for the last cruise and ended up not needing them. We will be taking them again for this one. Dollar Tree ROCKS!!! :D

Maybe bringing the ponchos along will mean we won't need them! Here's hoping! Although I still would much prefer a rainy day on a cruise than a sunny day at home!

That's generally been our experience, but on the few times it did rain, we were sure glad to have them.

For those that picked up the CD's at the dollar tree....I searched and searched two different stores and did not find that particular CD. Did it have a paper cover, or a plastic jewel case? I love that song, HOT!HOT!HOT!...really puts me in the cruising mood!

It had a plastic case. Yellow background with a big red parrot and the words SPICY across the top. Hope you find it. We just love our cheap find CD. Cari