Fair Winds Snorkel Kona

mellowrose

Has anyone used Fair Winds Travel in Kona lately? When I search thru the search option, I only get posts from 2005. They used to be the only outfit that went to Kealakekua Bay, not sure now.

They're not the only ones that go to Kealakekua Bay, but their reviews are really good on TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60872-d633938-Reviews-Fair_Wind_Big_Island_Ocean_Guides-Kailua_Kona_Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html).

We've been on the Fair Wind about 4 times, so obviously we love it. We've also been on her sister ship, the Hula Kai, once, but prefer the Fair Wind. The staff is very professional as well as fun, and they place a lot of emphasis on safety and environmental issues. We always try for the morning rather than afternoon trip - there's a better chance of sun in the morning, which makes visibility better and the colors spectacular.

This is a good option for non cruise visitors, but, there is no mention of any transportation, so a cab would be needed, and the only tour that "fits" with a cruiseship, is the short afternoon trip- which is 3 hours (if I'm reading it right :) ) I spend at least 3 hours at the site!!!!

Have you used this company?

We've been on the Fair Wind about 4 times, so obviously we love it. We've also been on her sister ship, the Hula Kai, once, but prefer the Fair Wind. The staff is very professional as well as fun, and they place a lot of emphasis on safety and environmental issues. We always try for the morning rather than afternoon trip - there's a better chance of sun in the morning, which makes visibility better and the colors spectacular.

We are really interested in this snorkel trip. Their website says you have to take a cab, it's a 25 minute trip, to their office. Is this how you got to their place? If so how much was the cab. We arrive at 8 on the ship and the snorkel trip starts at 9:30 so not much time to spare.

We are really interested in this snorkel trip. Their website says you have to take a cab, it's a 25 minute trip, to their office. Is this how you got to their place? If so how much was the cab. We arrive at 8 on the ship and the snorkel trip starts at 9:30 so not much time to spare.

The 25 minute time frame is about right. Sorry, but we've never taken a cab, always had a car or were staying in Kona. You're right about the time frame being tight - try to somehow get on one of the first tenders to shore.

We have done the Fairwinds tour 5 or 6 times from a cruise.... we have always made it down to the tour office on time...that being said.... if you do not make it there for any reason before the tour boat sails, you lose the money, as they had your credit card number.

This also applies if the cruise ship does not arrive on time or at all.

You will need to try really hard to be on the first tender ashore ...i f you are in a suite, you will get passes to be on tender #1. If not a suite...be down wherever they are handing out tender tickets, be there early... and then be even earlier than that.

Some people even have a taxi waiting by the end of the pier, by the King Kam Resort, by calling ahead of time. I have always found a cab there, and get the cab drivers cell number, and call them upon the return from the tour for a return to the ship.

I feel that this is one of the best snorkel tours on the entire cruise. In all my Hawaii cruises that I scheduled a tour with them, we made it. Only once did we not make it in to Kona, as the surges of waves were to high to safely transfer from ship to tender. So we sailed on to Molokai North shore for a sail-by the cliffs and colony. We had not scheduled a Fairwinds tour that sailing, as we had other plans in Kona...so it worked out. They also used to give a discount for AAA members.

Chuck

We LOVE Fairwind and have taken this excursion several times from a cruise ship. HOWEVER, we have never paid ahead of time. We call before leaving home to find out if there is availability, then we call when we get in a taxi and tell them we are on our way. The Fairwind is a big catamaran so unless there is a convention or it is holiday time, there should be space availability at the last minute. We have never had a problem. The taxi driver told us he would be back to pick us up and he was there at the end of the excursion. I believe it is about $20 per cab, not per person, each way. Go for it - just have a plan B in place in case it doesn't work out for you. It is too time consuming to try to rent a car to get to this excursion on time even if your reservation is at the Kimg Kam hotel. We have always found taxis right there at the tender dock, but it wouldn't hurt to call ahead to reserve one. Good Luck and have a great day in Kona. Aloha!

• 5 years later...

We just got back from our Pride of America cruise. We did the Kona Fair Winds II snorkel and didn't have any issues at all getting there in time. We thought about going on the Bodyglove one, but decided to risk it. We're so glad we did. We made sure to get to the 3rd floor around 6:45am so we were on the first tender. Before going I read that we should get a ticket to be on a early tender, but that is only if you want to get off the ship after 7:45. If you want to get off prior to that, you line up downstairs like you do for every other port stop. We actually had an hour to kill before making our way to the harbor for the tour. There is a great coffee shop right at the port, so we hung out there and had breakfast before catching a cab to the harbor. The cab ride is about 20 minutes, which was longer than I expected but worked out just fine. I highly recommend pre-arranging a cab pick up at the port, as taxis are VERY hard to get in Kona. Do not assume you'll be able to jump in one like you can at other ports - they are far and few between. I'd also recommend wearing a hat and a long sleeve swim shirt, as the organic sunscreen they have you use is useless. I got the worst burn of my life even having applied 3 layers of sunscreen. Even with that, the tour was well worth it. Beautiful clear water, lots of fish, fun boat with water slide and inter tubes. The food was good and the atmosphere very relaxed.