Lanai Staterooms on Maasdam

GlennG

My wife and I are seriously considering a 2018 Incan Empires Cruise aboard the Maasdam. In the past we have either booked Vista Suites (aboard the Maasdam) or Veranda Staterooms on HAL's larger ships. Unfortunately, for this particular cruise, we feel that we cannot afford to travel in a Vista Suite. The price of a Lanai stateroom is significantly cheaper. We are looking for some advice from those cruisers who have traveled in a Lanai stateroom. Were your experiences positive or negative? Is privacy a big issue? Do the bathrooms include a shower and bathtub like most other staterooms? Would you consider these rooms to be in excessively noisy areas of the ship? Any other advice or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Do the bathrooms include a shower and bathtub like most other staterooms?
Yes.

Would you consider these rooms to be in excessively noisy areas of the ship?
I wouldn't pick one below the galley (higher than about 356 on the port side, 363 on starboard). We had a Lower Prom below the galley once and it was noisy all night. Also, below the Wajang could be noisy sometimes.

CC has many threads describing various experiences in Lanai cabins. I personally spent three weeks on the Maasdam in 361, and I loved it. If you tend to sleep late and lightly, you may be bothered by the noise from the crew washing decks and setting up deck chairs VERY early in the AM. Privacy was not a concern for me, but then I live in an urban high rise with wall to wall windows! The vibrations from the thrusters on departure from port scared the bejeezus out of me the first time, but after that I did not even notice.

Will be on that cruise out of our home town San Diego! We had friends who had a wonderful time in their lanai. Go for it!!!! Take the chance. We have never been in one so I can not say for ourselves. We will be in a vista suite on the cruise, but we booked it when we were on The Eurodam this past Oct.in The Med. A lot of perks at the time.

Sooo enjoy this cruise!

Denise:)

:)We were in a Lanai on the Veendam in 2010 & loved every minute of it..:D

We especially enjoy sitting out on Promenade deck & the fact that we had our designated chairs..:cool:

No problem with noise in cabin 353..We kept our curtains closed at night only..You could not see into the cabin during the day..:)

If we cruise again on any ship with a lanai, we would try to book it.. :D

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I appreciate your observations and advice. It would appear that guests have encountered very few problems with the lanai staterooms. Is there any problem with the rooms that are in the immediate vicinity of the self-laundry?

Immediate vicinity of laundry could have a bit of noise, chatter from people doing laundry.

I agree about the lanai cabins. Just avoid those under the kitchen galley. Yikes.....I learned the hard way Thankfully HAL had a "sleeping" cabin for us. Saved me a lot of misery.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I appreciate your observations and advice. It would appear that guests have encountered very few problems with the lanai staterooms. Is there any problem with the rooms that are in the immediate vicinity of the self-laundry?

I've stayed in the first inside cabin down (345, usually) from the laundry on all the S- & R- ships, more times than I can count. Never heard a peep. If you can get a lanai cabin across from that, or one of the next few heading aft, before the door to the outside, you should be fine.

We were on the Maasdam for 43 days, Oct. to Dec., 2016. Circumnav. of Australia, then to Auckland. Our cabin (337) was directly opposite the laundry and we did not have a problem with excess noise. There were more people around the area, but that was ok. They were just doing their washing, not partying. We rarely used our allocated deck chairs, as it was either too cold, blowing a gale, too hot or too wet. We enjoyed watching the huge seas through our 'big window'. We liked the cabin. But, we were on a Dam ship, so we were happy.

Enjoy your voyage!

• 1 year later...