What would you like to see on Virgin Voyages

crusinthrough

Now VV has it's own forum, let's start some threads. Here are some things I would like to see:

1) I thought I read (or maybe not) that VV would be 18+. Good start

2) Reciprocity with other cruise line loyal cruiser programs.

3) Suite lounge

4) Some sort of innovations although, I don't have anything specific in mind.

5) Fast, reliable wifi

6) Unique lounges such as Celebrity Martini Bar or World Class Bar

7) A crew that enforces policies such as chair hogging

8) Less emphasis on speciality dining and more emphasis on traditional MDR dining.

9) New Caribbean itineraries with overnight stops.

Kinda General in nature but I'm sure others have a lot more specific ideas. Let's hear them..

• 2 weeks later...
I'd like to see some adventure activities, similar to what Richard Branson is known for. Maybe something like rappelling down the side of the smoke stack or some sort of bungee jumping activity on the boat.

Thanks for sharing. Bungee jumping would be awesome!

Maybe others will chime in with more ideas. Someone from Virgin Voges might be on CC and suggest some ideas from the forum.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really excited by VV, and hopefully it can provide something lacking on most cruise lines. We've been cruising for 20+ years now and have been watching cruise line head toward the bottom. Maybe its the accounting firms in all those companies, but the trend certainly has been to make the cruise just about free, and then charge you for EVERYTHING. I hate that.

When we cruised 20 years ago we started on Royal Caribbean and it was fantastic. Everything with few exceptions was free once you paid for the cruise. They even had one or two midnight buffets which took the crew days to accomplish. All the food was everything you wanted, included.

What I would LOVE to see was a cruise with everything included, including gratuities, reasonable excursions, all dining, all drinks, at least at dinner, and generally a casual atmosphere. I'm not saying I want lots of excess, just a really nice cruise where people can relax, and not have to worry if they need to pay for this and that. Why not even include photos, you get all you digital pictures and say 10 printed pictures. And add in some good entertainment. That would be FABULOUS.

Charge what you have to to make this a reality. I'm not looking for budget, especially since most people have to end up paying for all these things ANYWAY, why not just charge in advance instead of the the day you depart?

What I describe here sounds pretty basic, but it is lacking in the cruise industry. Maybe Regents Seven Seas is the closest, but you want it to be much more casual. People can dress up if they like, maybe with a separate dining room, otherwise its casual.

Oh, Richard should visits the ships now and again. (If he can part with his island.:D )

3) Suite lounge

5) Fast, reliable wifi

8) Less emphasis on speciality dining and more emphasis on traditional MDR dining.

Kinda General in nature but I'm sure others have a lot more specific ideas. Let's hear them..

Yup.

Not important to me.

3) Suite lounge

Definitely NOT. These "classes" of service need to be eliminated. We don't need to go back to the Titanic days. EVERYONE on the cruise should be a GUEST, without "classes." NO special lounge or bar for people in this room or that room.

Never hurts.

5) Fast, reliable wifi

Yes. Yes.

Unique things are always nice.

Yes, they need a solution to that. Maybe they give everyone some type of timer device. When they leave they set the timer on the chair and are given 30 minutes. When the timer expires, the chair is cleared.

Why not make it ALL specilty, but ALL included.

Sure. Maybe overnight stops to Richard's Island. ;p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1-More nightlife (as in, more than 1 entertainment choice each night)

2-Interesting ports with unique excursions

3-Upscale food included (like "blu" on Celebrity)

4-Are you kidding me on the strip club suggestion? Just no. Great way to cheapen anything

5-Upscale alcohol selection, skip the cheap stuff

18+ Would be an outstanding start!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I could swear I remember reading that Branson originally wanted an UPPER age limit, but I can't seem to find proof I ever read this, so possibly losing my mind. (Anyone remember this but me?)

Reliable tech and connectivity. (Virtual muster drills?)

New ways of approaching logistics issues like dining times, bottlenecks at buffets, chair hogs. Creative approaches to the cigarette smoke issues.

More dedicated relaxation space (will pay extra for NCL style thermal suites). More cafes.

Included specialty coffees.

Food Republic is another concept I'd like to see them steal from NCL.

Reconnection with the sea rather than inward-facing suburban-mall concepts.

Laundry rooms, for the love of God.

Shopping opportunities beyond booze, cigs, makeup and tanzanite. Electronics shopping besides GoPros.

• 5 weeks later...

What I'm reading here in some of the comments ... already exists, take a look at Seabourn (there are also a few others).

This obviously affects the cost of the cruise, check Seabourn prices compared to other companies.

I read somewhere that VV was going to be different, And having followed Sir Richard's career, I'm sure it will be, he will be building what we haven't even thought of.

There's no way VV will be going to Necker Island, his guests pay a fortune to stay there for exclusivity, plus he lives there now. Same applies to his other two islands. I can see him buying an island for the ship to dock though.

Anyway onto my ideas .... (although I'm sure all this is already designed)

An innovative decor, something completely different form regular cruise ship decor.

Crazy activities.

New destinations

More adventurous food

http://virginvoyages.com/#video

Now VV has it's own forum, let's start some threads. Here are some things I would like to see:

3) Suite lounge

5) Fast, reliable wifi

1) Okay with that

2) YES INDEED

3) Yes

4) I Would Hope So

5) Yes

6) A Must Do

7) Yes

8) Indeed

9) I Really Hope VV Does This!

I'd be in agreement with the 18+ movement. No more wasted deck space on waterslides! All the new ships are so cramped with them it's not funny. When I started cruising, the kids had a kids club and you were lucky if it was one room. Now they're taking up more and more deck space both inside and topside on the ship with kids things.

I would like to see a broadened concept of NCL's Spice H2O. Make the entire top deck an adult enclave with cooling stations and a water feature, not just a pool. Have a nice large screen TV with music in the background but not loud enough to deafen you. Window channel during the day and movies under the stars at night (borrowing from Princess).

Nightlife is key and I'm sure Virgin voyages will not disappoint in this regard! Virgin records founder can't disappoint on the entertainment on the ship so I can say I'm REALLY looking forward to whatever it is for these ships!

I really like the idea of a cruise line that tailors to adults only, although I think 21+ would be a better idea. Something to remove the idea of separate classes would also be nice - everything open to everyone. Instead of 1 large MDR and numerous up-charge restaurants, perhaps several medium-sized MDR's that offer different experiences would be cool. There could maybe still be a couple additional, smaller up-charge restaurants. I understand that you cannot offer everything, and keep "rock bottom" pricing, but a nice balanced approach would be great! I would pay a bit more for something like that...

3) Suite lounge

5) Fast, reliable wifi

1. Yes, and glad to hear this is the case! (Although 21+ would have been a bit more appealing!)

2. Not too worried about this, as Branson has stated he would be targeting new or relatively new cruisers who are unlikely to have high status on any line.

3. Hopefully no, I would like to see them move away from "gated by fare" areas. I'm all for a wide range of room options, from singles to lavish suites; however, I feel like it would be a bold statement on their part to not restrict any of the common areas of the ship, regardless of cabin type purchased. I think there is a lot that could be offered to passengers in suites that wouldn't take away space from others; super upgraded room service menus, butlers, a complimentary spa service, plunge pools on balcony, etc.)

4. Some changes and innovations that break the mold would be very appealing! For example, traditional cruise ship theater could be replaced with several smaller intimate venues, offering a range of activities such as live music, a club/space for dancing atmosphere,"game nights" etc. As a mid 30-something person, most of my peers think traditional cruise entertainment is cringe-worthy (as do I), and maybe a range of options instead of one big production would be more appealing.

5. Fast (and included) unlimited wifi would be tremendously appealing to the market Branson is trying to target. While I understand the appeal of disconnecting, I'd like to have the option to do that when I wish. Right now, I have to buy an internet package, and either pay up for unlimited, or manage minutes just to do a few quick daily checks (elderly family, vet, etc.) I think it would be very refreshing if they just included it in the cost, and let people decide for themselves how much they wish to utilize it. Since they are going 18+, I think they will would be remiss not to include complimentary internet for parents leaving kids at home. I also think Virgin is savvy enough to realize the impact a positive social media prescence will have on their brand.

6. Big yes for unique lounges and bars! Would love to see more craft beers, a dynamic wine list/wine bar, a craft cocktail bar, etc. Celebrity has great bars, and i think Virgin could even expand upon these concepts. I would expect that they will offer a drink package as an option, or as part of the fare.

7. Yes- the chair hogging is a major annoyance of mass market cruising. There has got to be a better way to handle it than the way it is handled now on most ships. Maybe Virgin can pioneer a new system to thwart the 6am towel game:')

8. I have to respectfully strongly disagree with you on this point. The "banquet hall" feel of the MDR has very little appeal to me, and I would love if they introduced several smaller, more intimate venues included with the base fare. In addition to this, I would like to see those venues have changing menus (or at least specials) each night (not just a static menu like a specialty restaurant does). In addition, I would be VERY shocked if there is not at least one full plant based eatery on the ship (or at the very least, vegan options in all venues). Richard Branson has both spoken out on this topic as well as invested in the future of plant based foods, so I fully expect to see that included in some way on his cruiseline.

9. Yes! I would love to see a new private island, and itineraries that branch out from the standard East/West ports of call in the Carribean. :) Although, if their target market is new cruisers, the itineraries may not need to be very exotic to attract first timers.

Overall, I think they are in a great position to do some of the things people wanted to see on Celebrity Edge, but that Celebrity could not do without alienating some of it's older/long time clientele (understandable). Can't wait to see what's in store!

I’d love to have a few options of excursions available for each port that are included in the fare.

I’d also like all inclusive alcohol to be included, especially since it’ll be adults only.

The less extra charges (premium activities, drinks, premium dining, etc.) the more ill shell out to cruise with Virgin!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yup.

Not important to me.

3) Suite lounge

Definitely NOT. These "classes" of service need to be eliminated. We don't need to go back to the Titanic days. EVERYONE on the cruise should be a GUEST, without "classes." NO special lounge or bar for people in this room or that room.

Never hurts.

5) Fast, reliable wifi

Yes. Yes.

Unique things are always nice.

Yes, they need a solution to that. Maybe they give everyone some type of timer device. When they leave they set the timer on the chair and are given 30 minutes. When the timer expires, the chair is cleared.

Why not make it ALL specilty, but ALL included.

Sure. Maybe overnight stops to Richard's Island. ;p

Agree with you - especially about #3 (suite lounges).

I would like to Virgin borrow some amenities from luxury cruise lines. For instance, all restaurants included (specialty restaurants require reservations but no extra charge).

Anything that can be done to differentiate Virgin from mainstream cruise lines would be a plus. I see the MDR mentioned here as being a negative. Some cruise lines have MDR's that rival specialty restaurants.