When to Go in Summer?

pdcsgirl

We are just starting our research for about 2 weeks in Hawaii in the Summer of 2019. In addition to DH and me, we have DS who will be 12 then, and DD, who will be 9 then. So we are tied to school schedules, and, coming from the East Coast, want to spend around 2 weeks to make it worth the flight.

So, any reason to choose June (we could leave as early as the 12th), July or August (we'd want to be home by Sept 1st at the latest to let the jag lag wear off before school starts)? Weather doesn't look that much different. We are looking at the 7 night cruise on POA, followed by some time in Waikiki and then at Disney's Aulani. Cruise prices do look a tad bit cheaper in August. Aulani is going to be expensive regardless. Too early to check flight differences. Crowd issues might be a factor?

Would appreciate any thoughts.

The most expensive airfares are during summer & Christmas vacations.

From about the first week in June until mid-August from the West Coast airfares are about $700-$800. Airfares before or after school summer vacation are around $500-ish.

Since summer 2019 airfares won’t be available until this summer, you could view summer 2018 airfares to get a preview of average airfares from your home.

Summer weather wouldn’t be a factor with upper 80 to mid 90 degree temperatures during that time. It’ll be busy in Hawaii during all of summer vacation.

If you are going to spend time in the islands other than cruising maybe consider other islands besides Oahu. Inter-island flights are cheap and numerous. Going to the top of Mauna Kea (when there is no moon) and seeing the stars is amazing. Being a Volcanos national park at sunset is an experience as well. Just a couple examples on the big island and the crowds won't be nearly as bad as on Oahu.

What a great family trip. My preference is August because the water is a few degrees warmer, and I like to keep the best of summer until the last. A trip to Hawaii would be a great way to end summer. The Aulani will be busy all summer, especially weekends but they do a pretty good job of accommodating everyone. I agree with Silver Sweethearts that doing Oahu before your cruise would be nice. Let us know what you decide. Cherie

Is being on land going to ease the jet lag?

Silver Sweethearts was suggesting you get there early, stay somewhere to get over the jetlag before your cruise. Staying on land or sea doesn't affect how you deal with jetlag. But I don't think you will get the most out of your cruise if you get on the ship jetlagged.

Our older daughter's family is leaving for a cruise to Hawaii tomorrow.

I'll let you know about March when they return.

Am finishing an 11 day stay on Maui tomorrow. Hawaii is always great, and it is far better than cold at home, but have to say it was the coolest of our 25+ visits. Very little rain, but more than normal wind, and temps in the middle 70s. Even the locals are bundled up. They also had a pretty wet...above average February.

• 5 weeks later...